manutdredseal46
paramore102

Resolved: Paramore is a better band than Coldplay

manutdredseal46

Con

I will let the PRO side start as is traditional.
paramore102

Pro

Well I would like to thank my opponent for allowing me to being the debate. With all do respect I would like to let my opponent know that that is personal opinion and could go either way so I wish my opponent the best of luck.

Have you ever notice that there happens to be more, male then female singers so why is this?
Because guys can do it better and there are more that want to. There are a few bands now with female front' man' in several genres you have Flyleaf and Paramore which are rock bands and Flyleaf is a bit heavier yet Paramore has a an amazing vocalist that can carry any pitch that you swing at her at the age of 13 Haley Williams moved to Tennessee where she meet the to brothers guitarist Josh and drummer Zac faarro after that it wasn't long after they asked her to join there band. Together they help Haley open up to a variety of music, such as "U2" and "Sparta" and "Failure" and "Jimmy Eat World"

Why I think that paramore is better, is because unlike other artist Paramore writes from their personal experience, like things that have happen to them or about people that they love. The fact that they are will to show the world and share the way that they fell.

Paramore has won praise for their live performances, which have included dates alongside Less Than Jake, Anberlin and Copeland, as well as high profile performances on The Fueled by Ramen & Friends Tour, the Taste of Chaos Tour and the Bamboozle Festival. With this summer's Vans Warped Tour on the horizon, more enthralled Paramore fans will most certainly follow.

Paramore is also new band not all that old to where Coldplay formed in 1996. I hate to tell my opponent this but coldplay will have harder time connecting with the younger audience. Ill even give you an example. They day that Coldplays song Viva la Vida aired my twelve year old sister ask who they were when I told her and explained to her who they where she admit that she didn't like them, and that people where going to think that they were old.

"Paramore will be the neighbor that comes over for tea and never leaves."
manutdredseal46

Con

>I would like to thank my respected opponent, Paramore102, for accepting this debate. I wish her the best of luck.

>I do have a case ready but for this round I will just rebut my opponent's case.

>My opponent has told us all that there are more male singers in bands than female singers. To my opponent : how is that relevant is picking the better band? Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that the stipulation of the resolution is which band creates better music, not which band has the best people. This is why I do not think the story of Hayley Williams (not Haley as my opponent suggested) is relevant. Also they are the Farro brothers not the Faarro brothers. To give some insight on Coldplay's members, Chris Martin and Johnny Buckland met at the University College London and began to the band. Later they met Guy Berryman and began to perform. They went by the name "Pectoralz and then later, Starfish." They became Coldplay when they released 500 copies of Safety EP in 1998. Their first record deal was in 1999.

>My opponent says her reason for picking Paramore over Coldplay is because she want to share their experiences with the world. I actually contend that Coldplay does a better job of this. To quote some Coldplay lyrics:

"I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
'Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!'

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand"

-Viva la Vida

"So I look in your direction
But you pay me no attention, do you?
I know you don't listen to me
'Cos you say you see straight through me, don't you?

On and on
From the moment I wake, to the moment I sleep
I'll be there by your side; just you try and stop me
I'll be waiting in line, just to see if you care"

-Shiver

"Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
D'you know you know I love you so
You know I love you so

I swam across
I jumped across for you
Oh all the things you do
Cause you were all yellow"

-Yellow

These lyrics express feeling in the composers. In Viva la Vida, the singer expresses sadness and disappointment in losing someone or something (unspecified). In Shiver, Chris Martin shares a personal experience of one of the composers being ignored and feeling inadequate. Lastly, in Yellow, love and affection are expressed through the lyrics. If my opponent wishes for more examples, I can certainly supply them.

>Paramore began in 2005 as opposed to 1998 (not 1996) for Coldplay. Coldplay are not extremely old as my opponent suggests. To counter my opponent's claim about Coldplay having difficulty communicating with younger audiences, I would like to bring up Paramore's problems with older audiences. Paramore's fan base is mainly younger than 20 years old. Coldplay's fan base is mainly in its 20s and 30s. This does not make any band better or worse than the other.

>I do not know why my opponent left us with a final quote, but to counter I will do the same (notice that I identify who said my quote):

"Because the world will eventually end, I would really like it if on some alien planet, in a million years' time, you were able to purchase a CD called The Best of the Earth—Ever! and we were on it. That's a slightly childish way of saying it, but that's what drives me. We don't want to be just...I just want to make the best music of all time with my best friends." - Chris Martin (Coldplay lead singer)
paramore102

Pro

paramore102 forfeited this round.
manutdredseal46

Con

I regret that my opponent has forfeited the round. All arguments extended.
paramore102

Pro

i would like to let my that they lyrics that coldplay write are not that well understood they act like they are playing God!
my oppont qouts the lyrics from coldplay

"I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand

-Viva la Vida

seeing as to how my oppente shared some lyrics from his so called better band i'd like for you to read the following

"I don't mean to run
But Every time you come around
I Feel more alive, than ever
And I guess it's too much
Maybe we're too young
And I don't even know what's real
But I know I never...

Wanted anything so bad
I've never wanted anyone so bad

If I let you love me
Be the one adored
Would you go all the way
Be the one I'm looking for
If I let you love me (If I Say)
Be the one Adored (It's OK)
Would you go all the way (You can stay)
Be the one I'm looking for

Help me come back down
From high above the clouds
You know I'm suffocating, But I blame this town
Why do I deny
The things that burn inside,
Down deep I'm barley breathing
But you just see a smile

And I don't wanna let this go
Really I just want to know

If I let you love me
Be the one Adored
Would you go all the way
Be the one I'm looking for
If I let you love me (If I Say)
Be the one Adored (It's OK)
Would you go all the way (You can stay)
Be the one I'm looking for

If I let you love me
Be the one adored
Would you go all the way
Be the one I'm looking for (x2)

If I let you love me (If I Say)
See the one adored (It's OK)
Would you go all the way (You can stay)
Be the one I'm looking for "
Paramore

Paramore has also created a soundtrack for the new movie "Twilght" you can find more about this in the wbsite below.
http://www.twilightthemovie.com...
manutdredseal46

Con

>I would like to thank my respected opponent for her response.

>Please note that my opponent failed to answer my question about the relevance of male versus female singers.

>For the purposes of this response I am going to assume that when my opponent said "i would like to let my that..." she actually meant the she would like her opponent (me) to know that. If this is in fact the case, then I would like to clarify what "playing God" really is. It is defined as the following.

Playing God: someone supposedly taking on the role of God for human purposes. Alleged acts of playing God may include, for example, deciding who is to live or die, in a situation where not everyone can be saved. Usually the expression is used to invoke a precautionary principle or to suggest that someone should refrain from a controversial action

I believe that what my opponent might be trying to say is that Coldplay has something called a God Complex. I will define that as well.

God complex: a state of mind in which a person believes that they have supernatural powers or god-like abilities. The person generally believes they are above the rules of society and should be given special consideration

This is in fact incorrect as well. Along the lines of what I already said earlier, this song represents disappointment in losing something. To be more specific and to prove my point (though this may not be any of this, it probably is), I have found three possible interpretations of the song.

1. Jesus Christ - The beginning of Viva la Vida refers to ruling the world and the rising of seas upon the word of Jesus (as portrayed by Coldplay). According to biblical references, Jesus was a king at one point, and could control the seas. Viva la Vida goes on to describe Jesus' reign as "[rolling] the dice" and "[feeling] the fear in [his] enemy's eyes." Next, it begins to describe his demise. "'Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!'" refers to Jesus being mocked (on the cross). "One minute I held the key[,] next the walls were closed on me" represents his transformation from ruler to a man hung on a cross.

2. Napoleon Bonaparte - Probably the most popular interpretation of this song, the beginning of Viva la Vida refers to Napoleon's leadership. As the leader of a powerful army, Napoleon would have "[rolled] the dice" and "[felt] the fear in [his] enemy's eyes." Next, Napoleon's dreams of ruling the world die and it can be seen that he is losing power. "[He] discovered that [his] castles [stood] upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand."

3. United States - My last and most uncommon interpretation. The beginning of the song refers to the United States' global dominance during the 1900s. They were unquestionably the closest to "[ruling] the world" as any country during that time. Next, "[The United States] used to roll the dice[,] feel the fear in [its] enemy's eyes" refers to the dominance the United States had at war during this time. Lastly, the "One minute [the United States] held the key[,] next the walls were closed on [it]" represents the current problems in the United States.

Also please notice that my opponent mentioned only one of my three selections, meaning that the other two are acceptable.

>I find my opponent's selections of Paramore lyrics very erratic. They jump strait from "Would you go all the way (You can stay)[,] be the one I'm looking for" to "Help me come back down from high above the clouds[.] You know I'm suffocating, but I blame this town" and then back again. These lyrics aren't related.

>Although I know it is bad to introduce new information this late, my opponent did it, too. According to the site my opponent supplied, Paramore only played one out of three songs in the Twilight soundtrack. To counter my opponent's point about the Twilight movie, I will give you information on the charitableness of Coldplay. Despite Coldplay refused its use for product endorsements. Coldplay have turned down multi-million dollar contracts from Gatorade, Diet Coke, and Gap. This is because they "wouldn't be able to live with [themselves] if [they] sold the songs' meanings like that." Coldplay support Amnesty International as well. According to bassist Guy Berryman, "You can make people aware of issues. It isn't very much effort for us at all, but if it can help people, then we want to do it."The band also asks that any gifts intended for them are donated to charity (according to a response on the FAQ section of Coldplay's website). It is also widely known that Coldplay donate 10% of their profits to charities. My opponent cannot claim that Paramore does nearly as much for the world as Coldplay.

>I await my opponent's next response.
paramore102

Pro

paramore102 forfeited this round.
manutdredseal46

Con

>I regret that my opponent has forfeited the round. All arguments extended. Please vote CON.
paramore102

Pro

paramore102 forfeited this round.
Posted by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
I think Paramore is a better band.
Posted by sgtsledge 8 years ago
sgtsledge
This is a novel debate and i like both bands so ill have to see who wins this
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
manutdredseal46paramore102Tied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
manutdredseal46paramore102Tied
Vote Placed by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
manutdredseal46paramore102Tied
Vote Placed by paramore102 8 years ago
paramore102
manutdredseal46paramore102Tied