mr_Debater1993
Cometflash

Resolved: People should marry for love and not financial security

Cometflash

mr_Debater1993

Con

I will argue the opposite of this resolution, should you accept this debate the rules will be as follows:

1) Acceptance
2) Definitions/Arguments
3) Rebuttal/Arguments
4) Rebuttal/Arguments/Conclusion
Cometflash

Pro

I accept the challenge.

I like to apologize for the delay in accepting this debate.

I was trying to make sure that I'll have the opportunity to have something to present in time.

I'll let my opponent now present his argument.

Thank you for your patience.
mr_Debater1993

Con

Sorry for the delay I had a lot of assignment and course work doing.

Before we understand this debate there are some key words in the moot which we should adequately define and they are:“Marry” “Love” and “Financial Security”

Marry: to take as an intimate life partner by a formal exchange ofpromises in the manner of a traditional marriageceremony. http://dictionary.reference.com......

Love: sexual passion or desire. http://dictionary.reference.com......

There is no definite definition for financial security so I will define security in terms of finance.

Security: freedom from financial cares or from want. http://dictionary.reference.com......

Now the Resolution can be restated as such:

People should take an intimate life partner by formal exchange of promises in the manner of a tradition marriage ceremony for sexual passion or desire and not freedom from financial cares or from want.

Now before two people consider the act of marriage, there are some things that are to be taken into consideration. Where are they going to live, how are they going to provide the family, cover their expenses or in essence maintain themselves or financial stability. When we glance at the purpose for marriage it is mainly for procreation and raising children. Now we can deduce that no matter what people marry for, in some cases those purposes can be fulfilled. The fact is when persons marry for freedom from want that is better than just marrying for sexual passion or desire. In this world that we live in, we cannot do without food, clothing and shelter, as well as some other minor things but we can live without satisfying our sexual passion or desire as proof of this that is the very reason why we have nuns and eunuchs. If people marry only for sexual passion or desire what happens if the man is impotent? What happens if the man is too small? What happens when the desire for that particular person is diverted to somebody else? What happens if the desire or passion toward the partner is no more? But because both partners are satisfied in terms of want or finance it can keep the marriage going however this is not to say that love will not be an aspect of the marriage why did I say that? Careful observation of the resolution is that we are arguing the reason why they should marry in the first place as the word “for” denotes. With that said this leads me to specific type of marriage.

Arranged marriages

Many people are against this type of marriage, however it commonly done in India [1]. Studies have should that these marriages then to last longer than the so called “Love” marriages [2]. This type of marriage is based on societal status etc. hence people should marry FOR freedom of want and not sexual desire or passion.

1. http://berchmans.tripod.com......

2.http://www.yourtango.com......

Cometflash

Pro

To follow the rule of round number two, I'm disregarding what my opponent presented above since it could interfere with what I could put together, and could give me an advantage.

Going by my opponent's resolution, I can deduce the follow.

My opponent must show a reasonable argument that, one should primarily marry for financial security, love is out of this equation.

I must, on the other hand, show a reasonable argument that, one should marry primarily for love, financial security is out of this equation.

Not to say I cannot bring financial security into my argument, just that the resolution to be followed, bringing financial security up, has to be completely disconnected from the reason to get married.

Having that cleared up, I'll proceed with my argument that, love should be the primarily reason for marriage, instead of the reason my opponent proposed.

One of the key things, is for me to define what love is. This is extremely difficult, but I will try my best.

Love:

Love is an emotion that makes us experience many different things, unless suppressed. Love makes us see the world in a different way, put the other before oneself, trust with no reason to do so, brings compassion, affection and kindness to even the most brute, etc.

You can understand love more by feeling than expressing with words.

Marriage:

Marriage was first design with the intent of finance, this have change along the years, however.

Some countries still hold similar values as to what once marriage was created for, and there are religious versions of what marriage is.

Therefore, there are just too many ways to define what marriage is, and my opponent did not give a definition to which version of marriage this debate was about.

I'll take marriage as a union between man and a woman/husband and wife, which can be consider to form a family.

Marriage;

1- the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife:

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Family;

1- [treated as singular or plural] a group consisting of parents and children living together in a household.

* a group of people related to one another by blood or marriage:

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Why marry for love?

You will try to understand the other, even if it is impossible to do so because you won't think on such of possibility.

You will want to be with one another, and nothing can erase this desire.

You will be happy since the presence of one another will be enough to make it so.

You won't mind sacrificing cuts that many deem essential; you will be content with little, and hope for the better.

Love gives you willpower to go on despise anything.

You are more capable of raising kids; loving your kids are essential to raising them. Sure one usually love their kids regardless if they love their partner, but the differences between their parents, and the lack of love between them, can influence negatively into a child's life. Having parents who love each other, present a better understanding between each other on how to deal with many situations they will have to face together. The household will be a better ambient for children to live in, when their parents love each other.

Things that counter my opponent's end.
By marrying for love;

There will be little to no chance of any violence to occur.

You won't think of being stuck, with no way out.

As you are together, you don't have to worry about stability of your finances to collapse, if you are ever in such position since you would know how to live with little, as it once you did, and the most important thing is still by your side.

You will always be attractive to one another, as what is in the outside is mostly disregarded. Age or other possible change in physiognomy won't matter.

You will fight the difficulties for love, and not for the pressure to remain married.

I like to ask the followed questions to my opponent.

Question 1.

Have you ever been in love?

If so, describe for me what that love felt, or how you did you react by such of feeling (in the best way you can)?

Question 2 (If question 1 is a yes)

If you could love someone again ( or if you still love the same person), and they love you as much as you love them, would you marry a rich person instead of the person you love (if you both were ever to be broke)?
mr_Debater1993

Con

mr_Debater1993 forfeited this round.
Cometflash

Pro

I tried to wait the longest I could for this round, in order to give my opponent some time. I ask that, if my opponent concludes this debate by next round, that you consider this round as forfeited by both of us.

He has a reason to have done so, and I accept those reasons to excuse his forfeit.
mr_Debater1993

Con

mr_Debater1993 forfeited this round.
Cometflash

Pro

Oh well... I tried.

If in the future you like to continue this debate from this point on, please let me know.

Posted by Cometflash 4 years ago
Cometflash
We can still debate, if you like I can forfeit my round, or declare forfeit after you find time.

Or we can close this debate as it is, and take the oath that we will just copy and paste our previous round from here to a new debate and conclude from there.
Posted by mr_Debater1993 4 years ago
mr_Debater1993
i am sincerely sorry that i forfeited that round i didnt have enough time because i had alot of assignments to do please report this as votebomb so whatever
Posted by Cometflash 4 years ago
Cometflash
I haven't have much time to put something together, but time is about to expire and I really like to debate this.

I put something together, I just hope I did not rush to much.

I apologize for the delay.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 3 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
mr_Debater1993CometflashTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by MochaShakaKhan 3 years ago
MochaShakaKhan
mr_Debater1993CometflashTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff the last half of the debate.
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
drafterman
mr_Debater1993CometflashTied