TheOpinionist
Greg4586

Resolved: Planned Parenthood was legally unjustified in the transaction of fetal tissue.

Greg4586
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

TheOpinionist

Pro

For 1harderthanyouthink's August Beginner Tournament
Definitions:

Planned Parenthood: the U.S. affiliate of the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) - and is a non-profit organization that provides reproductive health and maternal and child health services.

transaction: an exchange of goods, services, or funds

justified: show or prove to be right or reasonable

legally: of or relating to law

---

Set-up:

1. Pro instigates, posts entire set-up (definitions, this, etc.)/Con posts acceptance *only*
2. Pro opens/Con opens
3. Pro rebuts/Con rebuts
4. Pro closes and rebuts/Con closes and rebuts

*no new contentions/arguments shall be put in the last round.

Greg4586

Con

I accept, good luck
TheOpinionist

Pro

Look I am ridiculously sorry but this whole week has been nothing but new stuff coming up. I just can't manage it right now. Consider this my forfeiture in this debate, as I couldn't do it justice with my schedule. Please find a replacement to debate my opponent. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I hereby forfeit this debate.
Greg4586

Con

It's a shame my opponent is now too busy to debate me, but I understand everyone get's busy. I would like to post my argument anyways though. If you manage to clear up your schedule feel free to jump back in debate and get a few words in.

So now for my argument

Framework

To win this debate I have to prove that Planned Parenthood did not break any laws in transaction of fetal tissue.
I do not have to prove it was right to do, nor that is it ethical. I have to prove it is legal. If I do that then I win the debate.

This is all in a framework that abortion is legal and not an issue. If you disagree that is grounds for a different debate, but for now all we are talking about is whether the transaction is legal or not.

Now for my argument

Let's take a look at what Planned Parenthood does. They preform legal abortions, which they then have an option. They can dispose of the fetus' or they can do something with them. They chose to do something with them. They transfer the fetal tissue to researches for the sake of discovery within the field of stem cell research. [1]

While this may seem very gruesome and absolutely horrible to many of you I would like to point out that if this would not done the tissue would be destroyed and not used for anything. If it is donated it gives a potential to new discoveries in medicine that has the potential to save millions. Whether you agree with the abortions or not, I think it is fair to find a common ground that if abortion is done that this research should take place so the abortion would not happen in vain.

Now let's look at what this debate should really be about, the legality of it all.

A few legal codes seem relevant in this debate, so let's take a look at them

First let's take a look at 42 U.S. Code 274e: https://www.law.cornell.edu......... . This law prohibits the sale of human organs for transplantation if a profit is made. This excludes donations which is legal.
Now because no human transplantation occurs and instead it is used for medical research this practices does not violate the law.

Now let's look at 42 U.S. Code 289g-2 https://www.law.cornell.edu......... This law states that fetal tissue can not be sold or received if the goal is to make a profit. This law also clearly states that it is legal for the one who donated the tissue to receive monetary payment to cover costs of the donation. This includes things such as storage or transportation.

So to conclude: The law explicitly states that being paid for the fetal tissue is 100% legal when the price covers the cost of the donation.

So according to the framework of the debate if Planned Parenthood uses the money gained from sale of fetal tissue to pay for the cost of donation the resolution is affirmed and I win the debate.

Now if we look at a statement from Planned Parenthood that is exactly what they are doing. To quote an article "In the video the representative from Planned Parenthood (PP) makes it clear that the clinics "do not want to be perceived as, "This clinic is selling tissue, this clinic is making money off of this."" Provided that the price set by the clinics is considered "reasonable payment" for the services listed above, the PP affiliates are likely not violating any federal laws." [2]

http://www.cnn.com.........
http://www.thegospelcoalition.org.........
TheOpinionist

Pro

TheOpinionist forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Con

Pro forfeited, extend all of my arguments
TheOpinionist

Pro

TheOpinionist forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Con

Pro FFed please vote Con. :)
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 1 year ago
1harderthanyouthink
Besides, your beginner LIKED the legal resolution.
1harderthanyouthink
"I disagree whole heartedly with debating a topic that is definitely true or false as opposed to the more subjective debates, but whatever. I'm a little frustrated with 1harder"

Please PM me your concerns.

I did not "chose" this. It was based on their ideas, and based on a randomizer, because they had 4 resolutions to choose from, and didn't bother to choose one.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
I'll try to free time up but it doesn't look good. Please contact one of the replacements for this tournament
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
And I wanted to stay away from moral issues, so it sounded good to keep this on legal grounds
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Eh I dunno. I had no idea how little info there was about selling aborted baby parts. Seriously making my job hard here
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
Why did you want this topic anyways?
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
Yeah I can't help but feel that one of us will have a big advantage after all the research is done. Surprisingly, few laws were written about sale of fetal tissue. Guess nobody thought it'd be a big deal in the 1800s :)
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
I was opposed to this resolution as well, but it was chosen through a randomizer so it was only fair that I just went with it. Also there is some gray area for this debate so hopefully it will end up being a good debate.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I disagree whole heartedly with debating a topic that is definitely true or false as opposed to the more subjective debates, but whatever. I'm a little frustrated with 1harder
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
I'm facepalming so hard...
Vote Placed by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
TheOpinionistGreg4586Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded the debate.