dogofnight
alto2osu

Resolved: Public Health Concerns Justify Compulsory Immunizations

Challenge Expired or Declined
alto2osu either declined this challenge, or never responded to it. If you are dogofnight, login to see your options.
Updated: 5 years ago Status: Challenge Declined

dogofnight

Pro

We will be doing LD debate. I want to press on LD debate.

Constructive
According to a TIME magazine article published in May 29, 2008 "CDC officials estimate that fully vaccinating all U.S. children born in a given year from birth to adolescence saves 33,000 lives, prevents 14 million infections and saves $10 billion in medical costs."

Compulsory immunizations give us this immunity that saves many lives.

Therefore, I stand resolved that public health concerns justify compulsory immunization.

I offer the following definitions in support of my case from Merriam-Webster Online.
1. Justify- to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable.
2. Compulsory- mandatory or forced.
3. Life- the biological state of existence regarded as necessary for any other human values to be of worth
4. Utilitarianism- the idea, when faced with two actions, an individual ought to choose the action that produces the greatest good for the greatest number
My value is life. My value criterion is utilitarianism. .

My first contention is utilitarianism is the standard for determining the worth of any action.

Utilitarianism involves almost everyone. Everyone choosing for the greatest good for the greatest number is best because more results are produced from the decision. Utilitarianism should be taken into account when deciding to immunize or not because many other people may be hurt in the attempt to respect one.

For example, the government may want to immunize a group of people that they believe have an infectious disease, but the group refuses to take the shots. If the government allows that to happen, then there is a high possibility that the disease will spread and that won't be fair to other people who want to be disease-free.

Utilitarianism is necessary to make a decision when considering life otherwise everyone would die because we didn't consider everyone else.

My second contention is affirming the resolution upholds utilitarianism.

Compulsory immunizations help support utilitarianism.
Subpoint A:
Subpoint A Immunizations eliminate disease.

If immunizations were made mandatory, then they would prevent more diseases from spreading.

According to the New York Times in the article "$630 Million Donated Toward Polio Eradication Efforts" published on January 22nd, 2009 it states "By the measure of disease control, the polio campaign has been an extraordinary success. The number of cases has fallen by more than 99 percent, from more than 350,000 a year 20 years ago, preventing five million cases of paralysis."

By giving out immunizations, the number of cases fell. This proves that immunization is useful and eliminates the disease.

Sub Point B
The vaccines are currently the best option for prevention against many diseases.

Against the few alternatives, the vaccines provide the greatest good for the greatest number of people. They have no real competition for their effectiveness against sickness.

In the article "Hand-washing won't stop H1N1" from Newsweek, dated September 15, 2009 it states, "Your best chance of avoiding H1N1 is to get the vaccine

This once again proves my point that vaccines are the best option for disease control and therefore it is smart to make them compulsory.

My third contention is that upholding Utilitarianism results in life. This means making decisions off of what will make the greatest good for the greatest number of people will result in more life.
Sub Point A
Making immunizations compulsory will make the world safer.

If more people got immunizations, it would keep them and the people around them safe. But if more people didn't get immunizations, it would cause turmoil for them and the people around them.

According to the TIME magazine in the article "How my son spread the measles" it states "Jane says her 10-year-old son starting showing symptoms of the measles — swollen lymph nodes and a fever — about 10 days after returning to the States. He seemed to recover, and she sent him back to school after a few days. In the meantime the boy had again returned to school, carrying the disease into a school with a population of children whose parents choose not to immunize. All told, 12 children between 10 months old and nine years old contracted the measles at the school, the doctor's office and other nearby schools.

This shows how the children who weren't immunized contracted the measles because thir parents refused to take the vaccination.
Subpoint B
Making immunizations compulsory will save lives.

The immunizations do what they are supposed to do. They make you immune from a disease that could have easily killed you.

In an article from the New York Times dated October 27, 2009 it states, "A global initiative that helped immunize children in poorer countries prevented and estimated 3.4 million deaths in less than a decade."

This not only shows, but proves that the vaccine will save lives and making it compulsory will save even more lives.

In conclusion, the immunizations should be compulsory because eliminate disease, they are the best option for prevention against disease, they make the world safer, and they save lives. Most importantly affirming the resolution enhances our value of life. Life is the foundation for all other values. Without life, other values cannot exist. Therefore I stand resolved that public health concerns justify compulsory immunization.
I stand for cross-examination.