Dpowell
bglueck

Resolved: Raising the Minimum Wage will do more damage to our economy.

Dpowell
Started: 10/19/2015 Category: Economics

Dpowell

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2-3: Arguments and Rebuttals
Round 4: Conclusions

-No trolling
-No Wikipedia
-No rebuttals on the final round.
bglueck

Con

I accept the terms and rules of this debate, and thank Dpowell for the opportunity to discuss this topic. For sake of clarity, I will establish my interpretation of the debate topic as: "Raising the federally mandated minimum wage rate will cause more damaging repercussions to the U.S. Economy than not raising the federally mandated minimum wage rate."
If this is not Dpowell's interpretation of their established resolution, I welcome Dpowell the right and ability to specifically define their intended topic within their opening arguments.
Dpowell

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I'd like to clarify that we're debating about raising the standard $7.25 to a higher pay. My point is that the increase will damage our economy, while my opponent will take on the point of proving how good it will be.

Section 1:
- The increase is more electoral politics, than an important point. This is brought up to get votes, because people think that they can be handed the American dream. The American dream is that every U.S. citizen should have an equal opportunity to achieve success through hard work, determination and initiative. If the minimum wage is increased, every one would be falling away from that dream. Also, the increase of the minimum wage would set our economy back and won't find the relief for those who need it that it was intended too.
- Figuratively, the majority of the minimum wage jobs are part time, and that number is increasing because of Obamacare. There's probably not a lot of people who would rather earn $8.50 an hour and work 40 hours a week than earn $10 an hour and only work 28 hours. It would be pointless because they're forced to go get the expensive insurance that almost nobody needs, also known as Obamacare.
- The increase of minimum wage will get rid of most of our jobs. If we increase the minimum wage, Obamacare prices will go up and so will the taxes. Simply do this equation: Obamacare+ Higher wages- Cost to replace Said worker with a machine= no jobs. They will get rid of our jobs. They've already started to get rid of people in some libraries and fast food places and replaced them with machines.
- Businesses will get rid the majority of their original employees and replace each 2-3 with a brand new enthusiastic one employee. Eventually, the company won't be able to give that person a solid paycheck, which practically means jobs will become more expensive.
- If the minimum wage is increased, retailer would be forced to increase the prices of their goods. This means everything will become more expensive.
- No one state's economy is the same. So having a one-size plan would be pointless.
- Businesses are already suffering due to the regulations instilled on them by the federal government. This forces them to hire High School students to do low paying jobs like scoop ice-cream, run the car wash, or deliver flowers. They need to sell products just to stay in business.
- The minimum wage is increased supposedly every few years, but it never helps anyone. We need true economic growth, not a policy that makes us feel better for a short period of time before we're begging for another raise.
- If the minimum wage is increased, the wages of higher payed employees will be increased as well, because those who have been working longer will think it's unfair that these new people are making as much as them. This leaves companies with two option, pay all their employees an increased pay, or deal with a disgruntled work force and possibly strikes.
- Minimum wage jobs were simply built for entry-level workers, namely high school students, not to raise families. There is absolutely no reason for High School students need to making up to $20,000 a year. Though with the increase of the minimum wage, more jobs will become available, but it still won't help anybody. The purpose of minimum wage jobs will never change.

http://usconservatives.about.com...

Section 2: Here are 6 ways to help our economy grow other than by increasing the minimum wage.
1. Promote economic growth through innovation. Innovators are the best job creators ever. They take risks to create value for American consumers. With how bad our economy is now, they could afford to look for more of these innovators.
2. Strategic immigration reforms- We need to let in more skilled foreigners to help speed up the economic recovery. We can do this by enacting the Dream Act and the Startup Act. The Dream Act grants law-biding citizens who were brought here as children citizenship. The Startup Act will grant citizenship to immigrants who are licensed through a company.
3. End the war on drugs. This should speak for itself. Instead of just legalizing it, tax it. Legalizing Marijuana would supposedly save the government $7.7 million, add taxes to that and our economy should gain a lot of money.
4. Require unemployed workers to volunteer. If you award the volunteers, the jobless wont' remain jobless for long theoretically.
5. This one should also speak for itself. Cut health care costs. Heck, we should just abolish Obamacare entirely. Doing so would greatly help our economy.
6. Remove necessary and unclear laws. This pretty much means, get rid of all these extra procedures that companies have for testing their products and what not.

http://www.forbes.com...

Again. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I look forward to reading his arguments and rebuttals.
bglueck

Con

bglueck forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

All points extended.
bglueck

Con

bglueck forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

All points extended.
bglueck

Con

bglueck forfeited this round.
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Dpowell
America's.
Posted by AndHisNameIs 1 year ago
AndHisNameIs
I you give me an invitation I won't mind debating you sir.
Posted by soccerisfun 1 year ago
soccerisfun
The person is from US and says our so it is US. I'm thinking about joining but I need to research first. You take it if you want.
Posted by Ayden_Linden 1 year ago
Ayden_Linden
Which countries' Economy are we talking about here?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
DpowellbglueckTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture