NewLifeChristian
SgtHakeswill

Resolved: Recreational marijuana use should be prohibited

NewLifeChristian
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

NewLifeChristian

Pro

Rules:

1) No trolling!

2) Have proper debate etiquette!

3) Do not use fake or satire sources! (A list of fake and satire websites can be found here: www.snopes.com/2016/01/14/fake-news-sites/)

4) Use MLA-style citations. (Citation generator: http://www.easybib.com......)

Layout:

FIRST ROUND IS ACCEPTANCE

SECOND ROUND IS FIRST ARGUMENTS

THIRD ROUND IS REBUTTALS

LAST ROUND IS WHY YOU DID BETTER THAN YOUR OPPONENT

Definition(s):

Marijuana - "the dried leaves and flowers of the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa)."

PRO ARGUES THAT RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA USE SHOULD NOT BE LEGAL

CON ARGUES THAT RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA USE SHOULD BE LEGAL

Let the debate begin and good luck to my opponent! :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MESSAGE TO VOTERS: TO BE SURE NO VOTING COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED BY MODERATORS, I HAVE DISABLED VOTING COMMENTS FOR THIS DEBATE. POST ALL VOTING COMMENTS IN THE COMMENT SECTION, IF YOU WISH TO DO SO.
SgtHakeswill

Con

I accept the debate.
NewLifeChristian

Pro

Introduction

Before I begin, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting the debate challenge and am looking forward to their contributions. I will begin my first argument by discussing the negative effects of cannabis on its users. With this being said, I wish the best of luck to my opponent and am glad to finally be doing this debate.

The Dangers of Marijuana on Its Users

Marijuana has a variety harmful effects on its users. In this part of my argument, I will discuss the short- and long-term effects of using this drug.

Some of the short-term effects of using marijuana include, but are not limited to, the "high" feeling, altered senses (e.g. seeing brighter colors), an altered sense of time, mood-swings, impaired body movement, difficulty with thinking and solving problems, and impaired memory.1 Also, let it be known that hallucinations and anxiety/panic attacks can occur with short-term usage of marijuana if the dosage is high enough.2

Some of the long-term effects of using marijuana include, but are not limited to, suppression of the immune system, reduction of male sex hormones, destruction of lung fibers and permanent brain damage, reduced sexual capacity, and severe mood-swings.3

Clearly marijuana is too dangerous of a drug to be legalized for recreational purposes. Its effects can be long-lasting and severe.

The Dangers of Marijuana on Others

According to researchers at Columbia University, marijuana has contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010.4 In addition to this, according to Russia Today, marijuana-related deaths, school suspensions, traffic incidents, and poisonings have spiked in Colorado (a state which legalized the drug back in 2012).5

Once again, we clearly should not legalized cannabis. It has been shown that legalizing marijuana for recreational purposes causes a spike in crime, traffic incidents, school suspensions, and more.

I conclude in this first argument that marijuana is too dangerous for recreational purposes for two main reasons: it is harmful to its users and to others.

1. "Marijuana." DrugFacts:. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.

2. "Short and Long Term Effects." Of Marijuana. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2016.

3. "Short- & Long-Term Effects of Marijuana - Negative Side Effects of Weed - Drug-Free World." Short- & Long-Term Effects of Marijuana - Negative Side Effects of Weed - Drug-Free World. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

4. Schmitz, Matt, Cars.com Chris Woodyard, and Usa Today. "Marijuana Playing Larger Role in Fatal Crashes." USA Today. Gannett, 09 June 2014. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

5. "Marijuana-related Deaths, Suspensions & Problems Spike in Colorado – Report." RT International. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

SgtHakeswill

Con

SgtHakeswill forfeited this round.
SgtHakeswill

Con

SgtHakeswill forfeited this round.
NewLifeChristian

Pro

My opponent has forfeited. Please vote "Pro"! Thank you.
SgtHakeswill

Con

SgtHakeswill forfeited this round.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
@Sgt4Liberty Also, could you vote on this debate? As you can see, my opponent forfeited the last few rounds.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
@Sgt4Liberty Great! I'll send the debate request now.
Posted by Sgt4Liberty 1 year ago
Sgt4Liberty
@NewLifeChristian Ok. That makes for a tougher debate for me, but I'm up for the challenge.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
@Sgt4Liberty Sure, I'll create a new debate, although, I'm not yet sure whether or not I'm against medical marijuana. The new debate will be about the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes, if that's okay.
Posted by Sgt4Liberty 1 year ago
Sgt4Liberty
Start a new Debate, and I'll take your challenge. BTW: I believe in God & Jesus, but I also believe that Marijuana is not a hard drug or harms people like you mention. I think God put it here for a reason, and many have in fact been cured from CANCER by this miracle plant.

Let me know if you're up for the challenge.

Cheers!
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
@missmedic People who use marijuana ARE criminals, first of all. Secondly, marijuana is much too dangerous of a drug to simply regulate. We need to prohibit it.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Marijuana has no lethal limit (unlike alcohol), also when something is made illegal, the control of that something is put in the hands of the criminals. This will make any one that uses marijuana a criminal.
Marijuana can be controlled and taxed without prohibiting it.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
I apologize for the extremely small first argument. I will do my best to make the rebuttals bigger. I only had 45 minutes to create this argument, because I was busy with work.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
By the way, when I said "use MLA-style citations only", I meant use MLA-style citations in your "works cited" or "sources" part of the argument. You don't have to use the MLA-style in the actual body of the debate when citing one of your sources, only in the "works cited" section.

Sorry I didn't make this clear originally.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
I resolve that recreational marijuana use should be prohibited. My resolution is that recreational marijuana use should be prohibited.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
NewLifeChristianSgtHakeswill
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con only accepted the debate and then forfeited all remaining turns. Pro made arguments, cited sources and participated in all rounds of the debate.
Vote Placed by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
NothingSpecial99
NewLifeChristianSgtHakeswill
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit