Myles
Revan

Resolved: Should the federal government legalize marijuana.

Myles

Myles

Pro

In this debate, I would like only facts presented if they help prove a point, not to just use a politician's or scientist's name.

First Contention: Reduction of crime
-If marijuana was legalized, there would be less people arrested for being involved in drugs
-It would terminate the blackmarket, reducing kingpins, teen drug sellers, and reduce violent actions taken to receive marijuana
-when its illegal it easier to get, for example during prohibition, alcohol became more widely used than before in the United States. However when its legal, it becomes harder to obtain

Second Contention: Medical Purposes
-marijuana would help deal with sickness
-reduce pain felt by many patients that is considered unbearable
-many doctors recommend it as a way to cure or treat diseases

Third Contention: United States Benefit
-taxes from marijuana would be great and aid U.S.
-teach responsibility to people prior to youth and others
-reduce usage of marijuana, when cigarettes became legal to now, the smoking rate as dropped by 40%
-easier for government to monitor
Revan

Con

First Contention
You know, it's not that our country wants less people to be arrested, necessarily. It's more of having less people committing insubordinate acts. Actions that are not the highest standards. After all, we do want out country to be the best, right? Well having marijuana legalized is just an excuse to sink to a lower level. Those people will not be breaking the law, but are they really better people then they were before? And that opens up an easier gateway for younger children to get bad habits. It's not illegal to have premarital sex, but it sure doesn't do you any good. And thus there would be more teen drug sellers also, not less.
As you can imagine, the price for marijuana would be tremendous. With the high price, there would still be such violent acts to receive their drugs. They wouldn't want to pay all that money, so why would they not lead to violence to steal it, increasing that bad statistic also.
Just because something is more widely used doesn't mean it's easier to get. If you have a will and a need, you will fight whatever forces are against you: this statement terminating your alcohol prohibition problem. And how would it be harder to obtain? No smuggling required, just go to your nearest H-E-B or Sam's Club!

Second Contention
Although marijuana may give you a high so that you do not feel pain during certain situations, there are already plenty of legal drugs in our midst that give the same effect.

Third Contention
Wouldn't it be better if the people of our country used their money for important things such as paying home bills or even buying some food for their children rather than on something that could chemically sway their brain to be abusive to their child or others? Secondly, responsibility cannot be taught if a child was brought up into the environment. And if they did find someway to break free of their habit, What's to stop them? A law? Not anymore! And I do believe that the smoking rate has dropped tremendously because of the knowledge of the sometimes lethal health problems it causes.

In short I must say that there are too many cons to the legalization of marijuana in comparison to the few pros to be considered a good decision for our great country and all of its inhabitants.
Myles

Pro

Now for the medical purposes contention, i agree there are other legal drugs that may give near-similar pain-relieving effects. However, marijuana is the safest one to have injected into the body in numerous situations in a short period. Therefore, your point about other legalized pain drugs doesn't make safe if it can't be used optimally like marijuana.

Though I believe there are better purposes for the average person to spend their money, it is up to the people to decide what is best for themselves. I believe in a system where the government can't tell a person what they can and not do with their money. I hope you don't believe in a system of government where the government takes control of our lives.

For your point that people cannot be taught responsibility in an environment is where the substance is legal, that is not true. When it becomes legal, the government gives authorization the school to teach the correct responsibility to the children. After the government enforced schools to teach about responsibility with alcohol and cigarettes, the school systems' teaching was a main factor of the great reduction in the usage of these substances.

For the crime reduction, that you said would not be shrinking, will be reduced. Legalizing marijuana will lead to the end of the black market. When something becomes illegal a blackmarket full of illegal activity forms around the substance. However if the substance is legalized the black market will fall because you can buy it legally. For teenage drug dealers, a majority of them do it because its illegal. THis is due to the fact that teenagers go through rebellious stage during adolescence as agreed upon by many phycologists.

Now when you consider how hard it is to obtain something you must consider the factors. The question is: What is harder to get, something off the streets where a large amount of drugdealers are selling, or in government operated business area/an area that must be approved by the government to sell the substances?
Revan

Con

Revan forfeited this round.
Myles

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited last round i guess i will just restate my points:
Legalization will lead to-
1. end if black market and crimes associated with it including murder
2. The education of marijuana usage will be taught because currently the government thinks there is no point because its illegal, so there shouldn't be education on how to correctly use it because your not allowed to
3. Its harder to get when its monitored by the government
4. A correct age limit will be set so no effects happen on teenagers
Revan

Con

First off, I must ask of you to use the spell check function that is available through this website. It is quite time consuming to decode it myself and understand the point that you are trying to bring up; whether it be in this debate or just courtesy of Thank you ahead of time.

Although I would like to debate on previous falses that were stated, I will stay with the debate rules that I follow and remark on your round three comments.

1. I think you're going a bit over the edge by going on about murder going away. That won't happen. As I said, marijuana makes you do things that you wouldn't normally, like maybe murder? If you get yourself into marijuana you obviously aren't that stable already. Add that with something that affects your brain and we've got a potential murderer. And does it really matter who's selling it? The black market may be gone, but the drugs are still there.

2. Well sir, there actually is much education on drugs, including marijuana. We all know the effects of it. And the kids that use marijuana are, as you said, looking to go against the system. They don't care or even want to hear what there is to say about marijuana.

3. I'd say it's a bit harder to get drugs from dealers trying to conceal their identity and not be able to be found. There's too many places that legal drugs are sold and you don't have to hide it. They're right there waiting for you.

4. How do you know how the law would be set, and weren't you for total freedom? That would mean no age limit. And if teenagers are the ones that use it the most as you try to say, it's still illegal to them. Nothing's changed! And now it's in their home, not just on the streets. PLUS, now they will have an even greater will to go against the law when people so much like them have the ability to have what they do not.
Myles

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited the second round, I will refute his 3rd round in my crystallization:
When deciding who to vote for in this case, 3 points must be considered:
1. It will be the end of the marijuana black market because if its legal no market is in demand to exist. Therefore crimes associated with the black market, for example murder, would decrease.
2. People will better understand the effects of marijuana. Even if teenagers want to rebel, they all might not if they are presented with the facts. Therefore, education would lead to the decrease of the usage of marijuana. Also it is a given it would have a legal age because it is similar to the substance debated about, alcohol and tobacco
3. When its legal, it is harder to get because the government is monitoring it. Even though drugdealers try to keep their identity of selling drugs a secret, there are a lot of drugdealers in America. When its government regulated the government can control how much and how many people get the substance. I am for the freedom of government not telling the people what they can spend their money on. I do believe however the government can regulate what age you can buy it, if it is for the benefit of the people.

I leave you with this question: Should we continue to allow for the government to ban marijuana, the black market to prosper, and to continue the ignorance of the youth or should we repeal its ban and end some crime, educate the youth, and increase the quitting rate?
Revan

Con

I have already debated these issues that have been brought up during the third round and therefore have no need to debate most of these issues since you have said the same thing over again. Although, I would add that you can't just walk up to a drug dealer and he'll greet you light-heartedly and not find out who you are first. It's hard to get it. At least not any harder than going to the store! And you can't buy anything if you're dead or in jail. Further, you keep adding non-truths, such as making it legal and increasing the quitting rate. That hasn't happened, remember?
I believe that if the issue is looked over again through this debate and further searching, it will be obvious that it is not for the better of anyone to make marijuana legal, except for maybe the sellers.

Thank you for the opportunity to have this debate!
Posted by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
Lets talk through messages as to not make this awkward for anyone reading this later. I sent you one.
Posted by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
ya im kool with that
Posted by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
it kool at least this gave me some practice for crossex which i needed. Im going to harvard for pf debate and it will be useful. do u do debate?
Posted by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
Haha! Well at least that then. lol! Cuz I really do dislike disagreeing with people and having contentions. Maybe we should just end it here and work on our simmilarities, not differences.
Posted by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
I am to a certain reasonable extent. I dont want lives to go to waste because of me. If I was a soldier in a war, I'd want the people I was fighting for to have a great life. To know that someone has such a blessing would be quite honoring and amazing.
Posted by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
lol well i'll admit your right on that one.
Posted by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
Yeah, i know the debate's over, but thats not stopping EITHER of us. And from my side it seems that YOU are looking worse. Im pretty sure we feel completely opposite and being invincible teenagers we wont admit who's right even if it was neither of us. And I dont want to make you look bad. Its just somewhat of an interesting conversation. Isnt it crazy how people can hate eachother on a subject that they barely have ANY control over? Sad I think.
Posted by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
being ignorant is only good for children, not people of our age. I agree it will be inevitable, but i don't believe the government should be telling us what we can do with our money? I agree that, some people should make better choices with their life. However, aren't you for supporting and improving the rights of the people?
Posted by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
See! Youre saying it again!! We arent so perfect as to make every decision. We should have a good life shouldnt we? If theres so many drugs here we're BOUND to choose SOME drug. Its almost innevitable. There would be some great few to choose the correct path but the numbers would be so few compared to what it WOULD be without all the drugs legal. And could you rephrase your last comment? I couldnt understand it with all the question marks. Not critisizing.
Posted by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
no it isnt? well not at our age? its only good when your a child? And not most people who do it are bums. However i believe that people have the right to make their own choices for themselves? Or do u think the government should take that right away from them?
Vote Placed by Myles 8 years ago
Myles
MylesRevanTied
Vote Placed by masterdebater15 8 years ago
masterdebater15
MylesRevanTied
Vote Placed by Revan 8 years ago
Revan
MylesRevanTied