JakePreyt
brady3

Resolved: Skittles are superior in all, if not most, aspects to M&Ms.

JakePreyt

Pro

This will be my first debate on debate.org so I'm pretty excited. I decided to go for a pretty stupid topic (but a topic nonetheles) just to get the flow of how this all works and such. I will be attempting to disprove the resolution saying that Skittles are better than M&Ms.

The style will go as follows:

Round 1 - Constructives
Round 2 - Rebuttals
Round 3 - Rebuttals and Closing

Good luck to brady3! I will wait for the acceptance and I shall post my Affirmative Constructive. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a very competitive world in which candies must fight over the mouths of human beings, one candy comes out on top. Pitted against M&Ms (one of the most popular candies) Skittles reigns supreme. How is this? Well, voter, I shall explain as to why they are superior and I will defend my case from my opponents attacks. Let's begin.

1. Skittles come in many different flavors.
With 30 different Skittles bags, each with their own unique flavors, Skittles offer over a hundred flavors, combinations, etc. [1] What does M&M offer? Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It is easy to see that if you want diversity, Skittles is supreme to M&Ms, in fact, with this much diversity, it even appeals to a larger audience instead of how M&Ms only appeals to chocolate lovers.

2. Skittles supports LGBT+ rights.
It is a very hostile world to gay people. There are even places where it is legal and even ADMIRED to kill people for who they love. And in America, a place where being gay is, in most places, not okay, Skittles takes a stand to support gays and human rights by sporting the 'gay rainbow.' M&Ms has rainbow colors as well, though, so what makes Skittles so cool? M&Ms have dark tinted rainbow colors to show that it is bad to be gay. We associate the darkness with evilness. This may be due to when we were a young species, the night brought us unknown terrors and that scared us and thus we associate dark things as sinister. M&Ms tint the rainbow colors dark to tell the American populus that being gay is certainly not okay.

3. Skittles get the American people to eat healthier.
We can agree that candies are more popular with the youth than the adults and children are very influental. Do we want our kids to keep craving chocolate? Skittles is fruit-flavored. By giving kids fruit flavored snacks, it is only logical to assume that Skittles love fruits and want kids to love fruits as well. By influencing our kids to eat Skittles, they'll want more. And none of this artificial stuff, we want the real thing! They'll then go eat more fruits thus becoming healthier.

This concludes my AC. I will await for my opponents constructive and rebuttal. I've listed as to why Skittles are obviously superior than M&Ms. They are more diverse, support human rights, and want the American people to get healthier.

Sources: 1. "Skittles". Wrigley Company. Wrigley Company. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
brady3

Con

Yes, the world of candies can be very competitive, but MM's reign over Skittles in several points. I shall explian these points and how provide the textual evidence.

I shall begin attacking my oppenants cases in the same order he provided.

1. MM's come in four different flavors.
Skittles do come in many different flavors but they only come it the fruity flavors whereas MM's come in only chocolate, peanut butter, almond, and pretzel, they even come in candy bars. MM's also do taste very well in deserts such as: Cake's (frosting), cookies, ice cream and many other goodies.

2. MM's support LGBT+ rights as well.
Your arguement towards MM's not supporting LGBT+ rights is completly invalid, because MM's come in even more colors than Skittles offer and they aren't all dark the only ones that come in darker color seem to be the dark chocolate MM's only. The MM's website even offer custom made MM's where you can create your own custom M&M in your own personal design and color.

3. Skittle dental damage.
Yes, Skittles are healthier than MM's but are they helping your dental health? No, they get stuck in between your teeth and you have a greater probabilty of getting cavaties. The amount of sugar inside of a Skittle is insane. The fact that Skittles taste like fruit can be disappoint to the younger generations because if they try the fruit by itself they won't taste like the Skittles because of the lack of sugar that the fruit doesnt have.

I have attacked your listed points by showing the different flavors, MM's support towards LGBT+ rights and the accusation that Skittles are healthy.

Souces:http://www.mms.com...
JakePreyt

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate and posting his rebuttal. For a quick road map, I shall go over my opponents attacks to my case and attack his as well. Let's begin!

The negative starts by attacking my claim that Skittles come in a variety of flavors in his first argument.

"Skittles do come in many different flavors but they only come it the fruity flavors whereas MM's come in only chocolate, peanut butter, almond, and pretzel, they even come in candy bars."

The negative agrees with my contention 1 stating that Skittles comes in a huge ammount of flavors but goes on to list the flavors M&M's come in: Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Chocolate Almond, and Chocolate Pretzel. Don't all of those look similar? It is not a variety of flavor, but a variety of chocolate--one food--whereas Skittles come in oranges, apples, cherries, bananas, lime, lemon, watermelon, licorice, etc. In conclusing: M&M's - Chocolate Variety, Skittles - Huge Variety.
I will ignore the statement made by the Negative saying that M&Ms go well with other foods since it has nothing to do with the food ITSELF.

Now to Attack 2.

"2. MM's support LGBT+ rights as well.
Your arguement towards MM's not supporting LGBT+ rights is completly invalid, because MM's come in even more colors than Skittles offer and they aren't all dark the only ones that come in darker color seem to be the dark chocolate MM's only. The MM's website even offer custom made MM's where you can create your own custom M&M in your own personal design and color."

Fact: Skittles (Original Bag) offers five colors. M&M's (Original Bag) offers five colors.
But what about Brown? In my constructive, I discussed LGBT+ colors--the bright, rainbowish colors. Not just regular colors. Both bags offer same ammount of colors but Skittles creates a bright 'environment' for the eater, inducing pleasureable, comfortable feelings rather than eating from a brown bag.

And lastly, Attack 3.

"3. Skittle dental damage.
Yes, Skittles are healthier than MM's but are they helping your dental health? No, they get stuck in between your teeth and you have a greater probabilty of getting cavaties. The amount of sugar inside of a Skittle is insane. The fact that Skittles taste like fruit can be disappoint to the younger generations because if they try the fruit by itself they won't taste like the Skittles because of the lack of sugar that the fruit doesnt have."

I want to ask the voter, "What is more important? The brain or your teeth?" A logical person would say the health of the brain is more important than the health of teeth. So what benefits from sugar? The brain, yes. The teeth, no. Skittles offer loads of sugar to help create smarter kids of tomorrow. M&M's have cornstarch and corn syrup, how nasty. At least sugar is brain food.
And now to the fruit acusation. I'd like to list a picture of how much sugar is in an apple, the most popular fruit of all.

Whether it be fruit or Skittles, there is going to be sugar in most food. If the person is irresponsible and consumes too much then it is the eater's fault and NOT the product's.

Voter, I've defended my case from my opponents attacks and made his 3 defenses fall. My case is now left untouched and his broken. I await for his rebuttal. Thank you.
brady3

Con

brady3 forfeited this round.
JakePreyt

Pro

JakePreyt forfeited this round.
brady3

Con

brady3 forfeited this round.
Posted by SoloNo.1 3 years ago
SoloNo.1
The superiority of sweets is subjective.