Jonbonbon
Zaradi

Resolved: Standardized Testing K-8

Debate Challenge
This debate challenge was issued to Zaradi. If you are Zaradi, login to see your options.
Challenge Expires In
Updated: 2 days ago Status: Challenge Period

Jonbonbon

Con

If you plan to vote, please read this. There are rules and guidelines, and I've outlined some definitions that will be important when you're making your decision whether it's about one of the agreed upon rules or one of the words in the full resolution.

Now onto our feature presentation:

Ladies and gentlemen.

Boys and girls of all ages.

Jonelle Bon is about to do a serious debate. Here's the full resolution:

"Resolved: The United States ought to discontinue standardized testing for lower education in public schools."

(Sorry Zaradi, I changed the resolution because I originally thought standardized testing was a high school thing, but it's like a 4-8th grade thing as well).

Anyway I flipped a coin. Actually, it was fake white out because I removed all coins from my wallet yesterday. Anyway, I hit tails which means I am in affirmation of standardized testing (I'm typically against standardized testing, but it's healthy to learn the other side). (Also, please count that last sentence as being separate from the debate, because my personal opinion should not affect the way you judge our arguments).

Definitions:
Because we have to define crap before we start debating it.

Lower education: 4th through 8th grade (as agreed upon in this thread: http://www.debate.org...).

We technically agreed on K-8, but since I had to adjust the debate to be about current standards, the definition was moved too fit with current federal law (No Child Left Behind Act).

Standardized Testing: A standardized test is any form of test that (1) requires all test takers to answer the same questions, or a selection of questions from common bank of questions, in the same way, and that (2) is scored in a “standard” or consistent manner, which makes it possible to compare the relative performance of individual students or groups of students. While different types of tests and assessments may be “standardized” in this way, the term is primarily associated with large-scale tests administered to large populations of students, such as a multiple-choice test given to all the eighth-grade public-school students in a particular state, for example. (http://edglossary.org...)

Ought: Used to indicate duty or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions. (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...)

I think that should be good. Zaradi can define anything else he wants to define. I trust him not to troll since for once I'm not trying to troll.

If he does troll though, I do not apologize for the things I will do to him.

Anyway, here's how the debate is going to go:

Debate Layout:
1st round - Jonelle lays down the law of the land, and Zaradi presents his opening constructive.

2nd round - Jonelle provides her constructive and some rebuttals, and Zaradi will just rebut things.

3rd round - We both continue rebutting, but Zaradi must make his closing statements and should avoid bringing up new arguments (don't count it as a violation of rules if he's just responding to any new points I brought up in my rebuttal, because sometimes my second rebuttal contains new arguments that he'll need to respond to).

4th round - Jonelle will produce some closing statements (no new arguments of course), and Zaradi will surrender his round by simply posting the exact words within the quotation marks "No round."

Zaradi may now present his arguments, and his accepting the debate should be counted as an acceptance to everything I just layed out. He knows he can hit me up in PM if he wants to negotiate a change in something.

Let it begin.

There's an awkward white space between this line and the last because somehow I copy and pasted white space, and I can't figure out how to make it go away. I just felt like I needed to explain myself after proofreading this.