Ragaxus
Liadonkid

Resolved: That Donnie Darko is the best movie of its genre

Ragaxus

Pro

In selecting the negative side, you must, as a burden, pick the movie you believe is better than Donnie Darko, state why it's better, and prove they're of the same genre. Any takers?
Liadonkid

Con

I accept your challenge. Thank you. To start the first round, I would like to put Donnie Darko in the Drama genre. I have read the Biography of Donnie Darko. My source is the IMDB website. The IMDB stands for Internet Movie Database. Darko is in Drama, Mystery, and Sci-fi. But the instigator did not specify the genre he would like to debate, so I'm assuming that I get to choose. And I choose Drama. I will allow my opponent to start the debate. Again, I would like to thank my opponent.
Ragaxus

Pro

I cannot start my debate without a contending movie to prove Donnie Darko is better than. I can, however, contest my opponent's choice of genre. My intent in framing this resolution in terms of genre was to determine the best way Donnie Darko can be labeled, considering its often incongruous but nonetheless spectacular elements. The simple designation of Drama, I feel, does not respect this consideration. As you've stated, the movie has elements of Mystery and Sci-fi (among others); in fact, I feel the movie resists any sort of pigeon-holing. Your task is to find a movie that's comparable to it and prove that it's better.
Liadonkid

Con

I would like to choose the movie Clue. This is an acceptable movie as it fits in the mystery genre. When I stated that Donnie Darko was Drama, I forgot that drama was too broad. I would like to apologize. Now, my contentions of how Clue is better.

Contention One: Suspense

Clue leaves you always guessing. In one scene when the cook is found dead, you always think its Professor Plume, since he was the last one in the kitchen. However, it never is. No matter how many times you have seen Clue, it was directed so well that it still gives you the suspense. Now, that may seem like a weak argument, but think about this, a good mystery movie always keeps you guessing, no matter how many times you have seen the movie.

Contention two: Mixed genre

What Donnie Darko fails to do is mix a whole bunch of genres together. Clue, on the other hand, has Mystery, a hint of thriller, and comedy. For those of you who have seen Clue, then you know how they throw in comedy, in the end. For those of you who have not seen Clue is definitely get that movie and watch it. It is a well rounded movie and is so much better then Donnie Darko.

Again, I would like to apologize to my opponent for being too broad with the genre. And I would like to thank my opponent again.
Ragaxus

Pro

In this round, I'll subsume my opponent's contentions, retaining his implied links that they constitute grounds for choosing one movie over the other, and present one of my own.

Contention 1: Suspense
Donnie Darko clearly wins on this ground, with the warrant that its many disparate ideas and their eventual unification resist clarity until the very end of the movie. Throughout the movie, certain details (the bubble that comes out of people's torsos, the bunny suit guy) pop seemingly out of nowhere with only the briefest of foreshadowing or introduction. This creates a sense of apprehension; while watching, especially during repeat viewings, the viewer finds himself concentrating intensely on seemingly unimportant aspects of the plot, trying to divulge more continuities that may lead to further understanding of the intricate subtext. This is the thinking man's suspense; instead of "always being kept guessing" over who will murder whom, tantalizing plot points are held out like bait, keeping the willing viewer on the edge of his seat, trying to figure out the meaning of it all. Repeat value is also retained through the sheer elegance of the last plot twist, when we see Donnie laying on the ground in exactly the same place we picked up the movie on.

Contention 2: Multi-Genre
This, I believe, is Donnie Darko's main strength, and my opponent's blatant statement that it "fails to...mix a whole bunch of genres together" is blatantly false. Elements of thriller and horror resound with the violent intentions of many characters (even culminating with people getting shot), mystery (with the obfuscation of Donnie's destiny), romance (with Donnie's beau leading him on), sci-fi and paranormal (with the time-travel theme) and even comedy (with some of the best one-liners I've ever heard: " 'You'll flush Ariel down the garbage disposal.' 'Damn right, I will.' " Or "I'll tell you what he said! He told me to forcibly insert the life-line in my ANUS!") Clue, on the other hand, never feels completely serious: its components of comedy preclude the framework of mystery it resides on. Clearly, Donnie beats out Clue in the genre straddling debate.

Contention 3: Originality
For a movie's quality to be evaluated, one must consider the freshness of its ideas and their execution. Clue was based on a board game. I ask of you, ladies and gentlemen, how can a movie spun off of a family board game ever hope to match the cinematic genius that is Donnie Darko--a movie based off of nothing but the ever-present precedence of its influences? Truly, Donnie achieves higher pinnacles of creativity than Clue can ever hope to match.

In conclusion, Donnie trumps Clue in both the points my opponent brings up and the ideal of creativity. Vote Pro--and take off that stupid human suit.
Liadonkid

Con

Now I'm going to refute my opponents points

Contention 1: Suspense

"certain details (the bubble that comes out of people's torsos, the bunny suit guy) pop seemingly out of nowhere with only the briefest of foreshadowing or introduction" This is not suspense, it is completely arbitrary. My opponents argument is on shaky ground here. Yes, that may seem suspenseful, but it's not. Suspense has the viewer at the edge of
their seat. Having arbitrary bubbles and a man in a bunny suit is not suspenseful. Now, in Clue, you have a man who was murdered and you don't know what is going to happen. You don't have the arbitrariness that throws off the rhythm of the movie. And Donnie Darko is off rhythm. And no one likes when a movie is off rhythm. Clue, on the other hand, has a good rhythm and there is no offset. The movie flows. So that is how Clue is better.

Contention 2: Multi-genre

"He told me to forcibly insert the life-line in my ANUS!") Clue, on the other hand, never feels completely serious: its components of comedy preclude the framework of mystery it resides on. Clearly, Donnie beats out Clue in the genre straddling debate."
Okay, first of all, how does this make logical sense? My opponents argument is both illogical and contradictory. You can have both a comedy and mystery movie. And Clue not seeming serious? How is bubbles coming out of peoples' torsos and a guy in the bunny suit serious? My opponent has pretty much stated that Donnie Darko is not a serious movie, yet its better then a semi-serious movie. I just don't see the logic behind my opponents claim. And as for the one liners, I don't think its acceptable that having references to shoving things up anus's is exposed to little kids. Clue is more acceptable to show to little kids. Again, Clue is better then Donnie Darko.

"Contention 3: Originality
For a movie's quality to be evaluated, one must consider the freshness of its ideas and their execution. Clue was based on a board game. I ask of you, ladies and gentlemen, how can a movie spun off of a family board game ever hope to match the cinematic genius that is Donnie Darko--a movie based off of nothing but the ever-present precedence of its influences? Truly, Donnie achieves higher pinnacles of creativity than Clue can ever hope to match."

Again, this makes no logical sense. Donnie Darko has many aspects of movies such as Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back, with the arbitrary scenes, Drop Dead Fred, with the character that no one else can see except for the main character, and Back to The Future, with the whole time travel concept. So my opponent has failed in even this argument.

Vote con because Pros arguments are really shaky, and not only that, I have refuted his points. Also, Pro claims that Donnie Darko is an original, however, I have given movies that came out before that movie. So even that point has been refuted. So you must vote con. Again, I would like to thank my opponent.
Posted by jjmd280 8 years ago
jjmd280
It really isn't any genre, an it can be put into all genres. It has as many different meanings as people who have seen it - it is pure GENIUS.
Posted by Chuckles 8 years ago
Chuckles
gawd i love that movie!
Posted by Ragaxus 8 years ago
Ragaxus
It's whatever genre you can persuasively prove it is. But I'd go a bit more specific than sci-fi...there's some cool stuff in that movie.
Posted by SquareOne 8 years ago
SquareOne
What genre is it? Sci-Fi?
Vote Placed by Liadonkid 8 years ago
Liadonkid
RagaxusLiadonkidTied
Vote Placed by Glitchy 8 years ago
Glitchy
RagaxusLiadonkidTied
Vote Placed by Mdal 8 years ago
Mdal
RagaxusLiadonkidTied