LR4N6FTW4EVA
gowolves777

Resolved: That Global Warming is a manmade problem.

Con Tied Pro

LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

Note to Voters: Take not your own beliefs when voting, vote based on merit of the arguments.

Okay, to set the parameters of this debate, my opponent must prove with a preponderance of evidence that men did indeed cause global warming. I must cast a serious doubt that CO2 and other so-called greenhouse gases created by industry cause global warming. Also, this is not about the existence of climate change, the earth is warming, the question is why.

Contention 1: CO2 is not correlated to temperature change.
As shown in graphs by realclimate.org at the end of the last ice age there was a 1000 lag in CO2 and CH4 levels as the heat increased. Other evidence from the EPA shows that in prehistory CO2 levels have dropped as temperatures have increased. The evidence supporting correlation between CO2 and global warming is at best sketchy, and leans more towards completely false.

Contention 2: Current Temperatures are not abnormal.
According to Ben Lieberman Senior Policy Analyst, Energy and Environment for the Heritage Foundation "But temperatures have risen and fallen many times before that. The Medieval Warm Period (c. 1100-1450) and earlier periods were likely as warm or warmer than the present. The earth was cooling as recently as the period from the 1940s to the 1970s, giving rise to fears of a coming ice age, until temperatures began to increase in the mid-1970s up through the present day." Also, according to EPA data, temperatures rise and fall constantly, our current position is not abnormal compared to the historic trend of rises and falls.

Why vote CON?
1. CO2 and CH4 are not correlated to climate change
and 2. Current temperatures are not abnormal
gowolves777

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I will start off by giving a resolutional overview, give my case and address my opponents case.

RESOLUTIONAL OVERVIEW. The resolution for this round is as following: Resolved: That Global Warming is a manmade problem. The pro burden in this round is clearly defined, show that global warming is a manmade problem. Because this is my burden, my opponent assumes that his burden is the exact opposite, showing that global warming is not a manmade problem. This however is not true. Given the wording of the resolution, my opponent has to prove that global warming IS problem but is not manmade. So basically, my opponent has to show that global warming exists and give a cause which is not human related. I will explain why this is true as best I can. The exact opposite of the resolution is as follows: Resolved: That Global Warming is not a manmade problem. Because the last five words of the preposition state that it is not a manmade problem, we assume that global warming is a problem. The only question is whether or not it is manmade. To win the round my opponent has to explain the reason for global warming through a cause not related to man. In his first rebutta, my opponent claimed that global warming doesn't exist, however, the idea of global warming is presumptive in the resolution. So by contradicting the resolution, my opponent has lost the round after his first rebuttal.

I urge a pro ballot, Resolved: That Global Warming is a manmade problem.
I offer the definitions to the following terms in hopes of clarifying the round. Manmade- Anything relating or caused by a member of the human population.

Contention One- Increase in ocean temperature relating to pollution. http://www.commondreams.org...- This article shows that over the last 40 years, ocean temperatures are rising greatly. The study clearly links increase in temperatures over the years to the increased amount of pollution. In equation form, it is quite simple: Human Pollution Increase = Temperature Increase. As the previous article states, the effects of this pollution are major. It leads to global warming which in turn leads to rising temperatures and melting of gigantic glaciers. Because people in the US continue to pollute, global warming is currently, and will soon become more of a manmade proble.

Contention Two- Melting of geological features
Over the last couple of years glaciers have begun to melt in many areas and are continuing to melt. This is caused by human pollution.

OPPONENTS CASE-
Contention 1- This shows that global warming is not an issue but does not give an alternate reason as for global warming. Because the resolution implies global warming exists and my opponent is giving no alternative solution, he is not meeting his burden

Contention 2- This shows that global warming is not an issue but does not give an alternate reason as for global warming. Because the resolution implies global warming exists and my opponent is giving no alternative solution, he is not meeting his burden

In this round you must vote pro. We are arguing based on the resolution and my opponent has given no alternative cause of global warming. The resolution implies global warming exists. I am correctly arging my side by saying mans pollution causes global warming. However my opponent is trying to dissprove global warming something we have agrred existence.To win the round my opponent has to give a cause for global warming besides man. He has not done this so you vote Pro.

Thank You
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

Okay, my opponent misinterprets my argument in his Resolution Overview. He claims that I say that global warming does not exist. To the contrary, I do not argue that the climate is getting warmer, I simply argue that it is natural for it to do so.

Next, in his first contention he argues that "The study clearly links increase in temperatures over the years to the increased amount of pollution." When in fact, the only evidence shown in the article was that the oceans are getting warmer. CO2 and CH4 the two principle "greenhouse gases" were not clearly shown to be the cause.

In his second contention he states that because glaciers are melting, men caused global warming. This makes no logical sense, glaciers would melt regardless of whether men caused it or not, his second contention should not be considered at all.

For both of my contentions he simply says that I claim global warming is not a problem, which is false. I merely demonstrate that CO2 and CH4 do not cause global warming, and that current temperature changes are not abnormal when compared to long-term climate change trends.
gowolves777

Pro

gowolves777 forfeited this round.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

I have nothing to say until my opponent posts his next argument. I do however have to use 100 characters, so I'll write a note saying that I have to use 100 characters. Vote CON.
gowolves777

Pro

Ok, so I had an excessive amount of work to do and completely did not have time to post round two. Had my opponent extended arguments or done anything in his last speech he would have easily won the round. But since we both didn't do anything round two/part of round three, this becomes a two round debate and you vote off of these two round. I would also like to urge voters to vote on the debate not on personal opinions.

My opponent responds to both of my arguments by basically saying that I'm not showing why humans are the problem. However in my first speech, I link global warming to pollution. Increase in pollution = Increase in temperatures. This was backed up by the article I provided which linked pollution to rise in ocean's temperature. As you can see humans pollute. Pollution causes temperatures to increase. Thus, by the Law of Syllogism, we can clearly see that humans cause temperatures to increase.

I believe that with my previous point, I have clearly won this round. However, even if you believe everything my opponent says, there is no way you vote for him.This is because he is trying to disprove global warming not the fact that man caused it. Because the resolution shows that global warming already exist, I have won this round on all levels.

Once again, I urge voters to vote on the round and not personal opinion.

Thank You
Posted by cooljpk 8 years ago
cooljpk
Did u seiously atack the U.S. and our "poluting problems". nations like china russia india and country in africa have more poluting problems than the US in all aspects of polution we have standards for our companies that they have to follow unlike china or Russia we arn't the problem even if thier was one.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
I voted Con. As LR4n6WTF4EVA created the resolution, the parameters similar to that of a civil court case he set in round one are the ones that should have been accepted by the other side. I don't think that either side should have used a website link as a major part of their argument, however, the con did it to a lesser degree, as he explained the gist of the information presented on an outside website.
Although I disagree with Con, his evidence is stronger, while the evidence of pro is highly tenuous, mainly because pro presents no numerical evidence or "expert" analysis in the case that was posted on this website.
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Dude, I didn't say I didn't vote for you. All I said was that I disagree with the topic.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
First off f-ing 2007 was not contrary to the beliefs of some the warmest year. I also did not disprove global warming, read the debate before you vote. Gowolves tried running a lame semantics argument rather than actually debating. DOn't vote for him because you think he is right. My opponent forfeited a round, and claims that my arguments weren't extended because I didn't say so. Look at logic people.
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
It's called f-ing 2007 was the warmest year in the history of the northern hemisphere.

http://www.seed.slb.com...

see how CO2 is right in line with global temperature???

http://www.planktos.com...

wow... that's a lot of CO2. Sounds like it exists to me.
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
how about global warming doesn't exist... :)
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
yeah gowolves! Global warming will kick your @$$ around town!!! To bad he forfeited a round :(
Posted by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
Man-made-global-warming is total B.S. I probably wont vote on this debate just because I am so strongly opinionated on this THEORY that it would be unfair to pro in this debate. But this is a pretty good debate for both arguments. Keep up the good work!
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
at whom, and for what reason
Posted by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
I can't stop laughing!!!!
Vote Placed by bipasha 8 years ago
bipasha
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by cooljpk 8 years ago
cooljpk
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by darkhose 8 years ago
darkhose
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by attrition 8 years ago
attrition
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by Pride_of_Scotland 8 years ago
Pride_of_Scotland
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied
Vote Placed by birdpiercefan3334 8 years ago
birdpiercefan3334
LR4N6FTW4EVAgowolves777Tied