Oldfrith
JaxsonRaine

Resolved: That mormons are Christians

JaxsonRaine

Oldfrith

Con

This is a response to my opponents earlier debate.

Definitions:
Mormons - Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Christians - [people] who follow or belong to a religion based on the worship of one God and the teachings of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible .
Christian(Biblical Definition) - A follower of Christ, from the Greek 'Christianos'

In this, I will ask my opponent a simple question:

Christians believe that there is one God, and that He is the only possible way to get to heaven. Period. That is the most basic of Christian beliefs. (John 14:6). Does this fit into Mormon beliefs?
JaxsonRaine

Pro

I want to thank Oldfrith for the challenge, and hope we can have some fun here.

Mormons do indeed believe in God, and that Jesus Christ is the only way to get to heaven(Con's reference distinguishes between Christ, the Son, being the way to the Father):

"But what do we mean when we say He is the Savior of the world? The Redeemer? Each of these titles point to the truth that Jesus Christ is the only way by which we can return to live with our Heavenly Father."[1]

"God. The supreme Governor of the universe and the Father of mankind. We learn from the revelations that have been given that there are three separate persons in the Godhead: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."[2]

Mormons clearly accept Christ as their Savior, and even incorporate His name in the title of their church. They also believe the Bible is the inspired word of God.[3]

[1]http://mormon.org...
[2]http://lds.org...
[3]http://lds.org...
Oldfrith

Con

My next question is this:

Where in the Bible does it show polygamy being correct?
JaxsonRaine

Pro

First, let us consider the Mormon position on polygamy:

"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. At certain times and for His specific purposes, God, through His prophets, has directed the practice of plural marriage (sometimes called polygamy), which means one man having more than one living wife at the same time. In obedience to direction from God, Latter-day Saints followed this practice for about 50 years during the 1800s but officially ceased the practice of such marriages after the Manifesto was issued by President Woodruff in 1890. Since that time, plural marriage has not been approved by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any member adopting this practice is subject to losing his or her membership in the Church."[1]

The bible never specifically condemns polygamy, yet there is evidence of righteous men practicing polygamy, and even being given their wives by God.

"Then Nathan said to David, "You are the man! This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own."[2]

Notice the Lord condemns David for taking Uriah's wife for his own, but he says, in regards to the wives that he(the Lord) gave him, 'I would have given you even more.' The Lord doesn't condemn polygamy, and in some instances, He directs it to happen. If the Lord gave David multiple wives, and even said He would have given more, then we can clearly see that polygamy isn't an inherently evil or condemned practice.
As Con is only asking questions, I propose that my answers to these questions fulfil the burden of proof, along with the arguments presented about Mormons' belief in the Bible and in Jesus Christ. In this instance, Con would have to show, using the Bible, that polygamy is incorrect.

[1]http://lds.org...
[2]http://www.biblestudytools.com...

Oldfrith

Con

However, when reading the passage, it is clearly referring to the kingship of Israel. And, while it never does, we obviously have no examples of righteous men practicing polygamy. In fact, the first mention in the Bible (first mentions are the definers of people who do a practice in the Bible) is Lamech, the descendant of Cain. He boasts in Genesis 4:23 of how he killed people. Obviously not a good guy.

I would like to ask my opponent if he would accept having a round 2. We will continue this debate then
JaxsonRaine

Pro

Con's assertion about this scripture referring to the kingship of Israel is purely interpretation. The word is wives, and whether or not this is literal or figurative is personal opinion. As to the issue of Lamech, a wicked person doing something doesn't make that practice wicked. The same logic would condemn eating, drinking, and breathing, so that argument says nothing to the practice of polygamy.

Con hasn't shown any Mormon belief that is contrary to the teachings of the Bible or even, more specifically, the words of Jesus Christ. The issues he has brought up I have answered with scripture, asserting that Mormons follow the Bible. Furthermore, I have presented basic arguments that show Mormons to be Christians, and these haven't been refuted by Con.

As such, it is clear that I have fulfilled any burden of proof. Mormons are Christians, they worship Christ, and they believe the Bible to be inspired scripture.

If Con wishes to challenge me to another debate, he is free to do so, but I have answered Con's questions about Mormon beliefs, fully showing them to agree with the Bible.
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
Wow, this debate wasn't even close. Con didn't even try.
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
While I don't agree that mormons are christians, Pro was far more knowledgeble...in "this" debate.
Vote Placed by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
OldfrithJaxsonRaineTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ugh, I really wanted Con to bust this topic apart. Unfortunately, Pro is correct about polygamy. The Bible doesn't outright outlaw it. While it is a truism(generally understood as true), it's not outright spoken about. Now, 1Ti 3:2 states:"Then it behooves the overseer to be without reproach, husband of one wife, temperate, sensible, etc." (This is for leadership positions in the church). Pro unfortunately wins.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
OldfrithJaxsonRaineTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO fulfilled his burden of proof and con failed to present enough arguments to why mormons are not christians