Metz
coldsnypa

Resolved: That, on balance, the rise of BRIC has had a positive impact on the U.S

Metz

Pro

I am an LDer mainly but I am doing PF in a tournament in a couple weeks and need to check my cases.....
I will go Pro on this one.....

The full Resolution is:Resolved: That, on balance, the rise ofBrazil,Russia, India and China (BRIC) has had a positive impact on the U.S

Resolved: That, on balance, the rise of Brazil, Russia, India, and China (BRIC) has had a positive impact on the United States. My Partner And I Affirm the Resolution for 3 Key Reasons.
1. Brazil has had a positive impact on the U.S Due to diplomatic Power in Latin American
2. Russia has had
3. China has had a Positive Impact on the U.S due to economic Gains for both Citizens and Business.
4. India Has Had a Positive Impact on the U.S

Contention 1: Brazil has had a Positive Impact on the U.S
A. The Increased Trade With Brazil has Increased American profits. As Christopher McMullen, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs Reports" "Brazil has enormous influence in Latin America. Brazil borders on ten countries and exerts profound economic and political influence on all of them."
Clare M. Ribando U.S Analyst in Latin American Affairs writes "Brazil is helping to improve the U.S. image in Latin America and lessen the influence of oil-rich Hugo Ch�vez of Venezuela". Julio Burdman, an Argentine political analyst, further noted "since the beginning of his second term, Lula began to compete vigorously to counter [Hugo] Ch�vez's aspirations as a regional leader." The Increased Brazilian Influence in South American has improved U.S Standing and has weakened the influence of Venezuala, a current Enemy of the U.S. Thomaz Alvares a Council on Hemispheric Affairs Research Associate Wrote "Washington thus needs a middle-man to mediate its relations with these leaders, and Brazil has been considering this interlocutor role as an avenue to consolidate its hemispheric leadership position." Brazil has increased U.S foreign Relations in south American and will inevitably continue to increase. Therefore the Rise of Brazil is a definite positive impact on the United States.

Contention 2. Russia has had a Positive Impact on the U.S due to international Cooperation.
Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Writes for a December 19th 2008 edition of the Washington post "We've had very good cooperation with Russia on global issues, whether it's terrorism or nuclear nonproliferation or really Iran or North Korea. We just sponsored with the Russians a Middle East resolution at the UN a couple days ago, on piracy. You name it." Russia is also the cofounder and cochair with the United States of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism. According to an Article done for the Washington Quarterly "This group of about 50 countries, some of which would have been reluctant to join if not for Russia's participation seeks to develop a framework in which they can prevent or respond to potential radiological attacks."

Contention 3: China Has A Positive Impact on the United States Due to Economic Gain for Both Citizens and Business.
The Impact of China on the American Economy Is Substantial. Li Ruogu, Chairman and President of China's Exim Bank reports that ", low-priced and good-quality goods and services imported from China have raised the consumer surplus and eased the inflation pressure in the US" Global financial services provider Morgan Stanley reinforces this Saying "Trade with China in 2004 alone saved American consumers $100 billion and created 4 million new jobs." Ruogu continues saying that "US investments in China have yielded high returns. As of November 2007, US investors had poured in a total of $56 billion into 51,555 enterprises in China. These investments have obtained high returns and shared China's economic success."This creation of wealth for American Citizens and Business has had a Massive positive impact on the Economy of the United States. China has become one of the Most important Figures in the American Economy. A study by the US-China Chamber of Commerce showed that "70 percent of American companies operating in China profited from their local businesses, and 42 percent of them reported profit margins in China higher than their global average." According to the US Bureau of Economic Analysis, "since 1990 the remittance of investment proceeds generated in China by US companies, not including retained earnings and reinvestments, has totaled $ 20.8 billion, which is about 8 percent of their global total ($270 billion) over the same period." The Massive Economic Gains of the U.S business shows that The Rise of the Chinese Economy has been a Massive benefit to the U.S economy.

Contention 4: India has had a Positive Impact on the United States due to Political Cooperation and Diplomacy
The Belfar Center for Science and International Affairs Reports In 2007 that "in conjunction with the United States and the United Kingdom, India played a vital role in pressuring King Gyanendra of Nepal to reinstate democracy after he dismissed the government in February 2005 Additionally, New Delhi has invested about $750 million in building infrastructure and training security forces in Afghanistan." Any Assistance in Disaster relief and other such issues will inevitably save the U.S Money in the long run as well as expedite the end of these situations. The CIA has labeled India the most important "swing state" in international politics, predicting that by 2015 India would possess the fourth–most capable concentration of power in the international system. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Declared "Our relationship with the United States has never been in such good shape as it is today...." The United States has an Important Diplomatic Relationship with India. As India continues its rise ,According to Raja Mohan. Professor of South Asian Studies in Singapore, it will "increasingly be palpable on all issues of global importance, such as liberalizing global trade, mitigating the effects of global warming and constructing a regime for the steady reduction of worldwide carbon emissions, promoting liberal values in the world, and reconstructing global institutions to reflect changing realities on the ground."
coldsnypa

Con

I shall take the Con side of this Debate.

C1-Brazil
Brazil has a history of high inflation, high interest rates and high import duties which contributed to the bad US economy. Also major drug trafficking occurs from Brazil. Many drug gangs have their origins in Brazil and escape capture their for many years. Recently it took 100 police forces in Brazil to finally capture a mere 35 drug traders. So with people buying drugs from Brazil money is not flowing in the American economy further contributing to America's economic decline. Also Brazil, a Latin American superpower, has been plagued by political corruption and seems to be surrounded by many of the strongest socialistic governments in the word, such as the ones in Venezuela and Bolivia. How can we trade with a corrupt government? This could on a international scale make America seem corrupt itself. Additionally if a government has corruption it can not be trusted so trading with Brazil is and obvious mistake. Furthermore Brazil is also one of the top ten countries America imports oil from. By continue to sell huge amounts of oil to us Brazil is helping in keeping America addicted to oil proving once again that it is detrimental to the United States of America.

C2-Russia
One of Russia's big negatives is organized crime. And with Russia's immigrating to America organized crime is on the rise. With crime rising police are extra busy and to prevent officers from working to much cities often have to hire new officers whose salaries is paid through taxes causing an increase in both crime and taxes. Russian diplomacy had been described as secretive and suspicious, untrustworthy, and displaying unusual hostility toward the Western powers. If Russia can not be trusted who is to say that they won't eventually turn on the United States. Therefore Russia has in fact not had a positive impact on the United States

C3-India
India, in spite of being a strong democracy for the last 60 years, has had internal conflicts that are based on caste, religion, ethnicity, and language. Its troubled relationship with its nuclear neighbor Pakistan and the militancy in Kashmir continue to distract the government and its resources in that country. If it is too focused on internal conflict or its neighbors it could not possible have time to contribute positively to the United States thereby proving that it can not contribute positively to the United States.

C4-China
A new study has found that the United States' growing trade deficit with China has had an increasingly negative impact on the U.S. economy, causing job losses that reach into the most technologically advanced industries in the manufacturing sector and affect every state, according to a January 11 press release by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission (USCC). By effecting America's economy negatively it has impacted America negatively henceforth it had not positively impacted America.

C5-Overall detriment
All the four BRIC countries: a) are among the top seven largest countries in land area, b) among the top eight most populous countries (accounting for about 40 percent of the world population), c) among the ten biggest economies in terms of GDP purchasing power parity and d) are among the top fourteen biggest economies in terms of nominal GDP. Russia and China are also part of the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and the two of them, along with India, possess nuclear capabilities. America owes China 585 billion dollars, Brazil 141.9 billion dollars, Russia 69.7 billion and India 14.2 billions in debt. Predatory trade, especially as practiced by China, has led to more than 3.3 million U.S. manufacturing job losses since the beginning of 2001. China's illegal undervaluing of its currency combined with its peg to the U.S. dollar gives China's manufacturers a substantial competitive advantage over their U.S. competitors. Not only is China's cheating costing U.S. manufacturer's market share, it also is discouraging investment in manufacturing in the United States, and this lack of investment is contributing to weakness of the U.S. economy. Furthermore China remains a communist country, while Russia is slowly crawling out of its communist USSR past. Each one of the G7 countries is a matured democracy with free press, free elections, and the guarantee of free speech. Some of the BRIC countries have a long way to go in assuring these freedoms and a lack of these freedoms will be detrimental to the world population. So as one can see BRIC had not positively impacted the United States and in some case negatively impacted it.

Source: http://www.Debate.org...
Metz

Pro

CON arguments then restate Pro

C1 Brazil
Drugs: According to a report by the Congressional research service "In 2005, Brazil's federal police, which generally are responsible for about 75% of total Brazilian drug seizures and detentions, captured 15.8 metric tons of cocaine and 126 kilograms of crack Cocaine. In May 2006, Brazilian police, participating in a coordinated law
enforcement effort run by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, arrested a major Colombian-born drug trafficker accused of smuggling more than 70 tons of cocaine to the United States. These seizures and arrests are likely to increase as Brazil expands it cooperation with neighboring countries by establishing joint intelligence centers." If Brazil is working with the U.S on Drug issues and stopping Drug trafficking how is that a Con? Also how does Brazilian Drug Trafficking hurt the U.S economy? My opponent does not give a reason for this.
Corruption: I have shown in my Case how Brazil has been working as a political ally in Latin America and reducing corruption. My opponent gives no warrant to his allegations of corruption in the Brazilian government so we must discard these.
Oil: according to the CRS "Brazil stands out as an example of a country
that has become a net exporter of energy, partially by increasing its use and
production of alternative energy sources, including ethanol. Brazil is the world's
largest consumer and producer of ethanol from sugarcane." Brazil exports Massive amount of this sugarcane ethanol to the U.S. Also without Brazilian oil the Oil prices would rise even further causing a massive detriment to the U.S economy.

C2 Russia
There is no warrant to ANY of the arguments in this contention. Also Russia is not a Military threat to the U.S.
As Charles V. Pe�a Director of Defense Policy Studies at Cato Institute reports " Even if Russia were to change course and adopt a more hostile position, it is not in a position to challenge the United States, either economically or militarily. In 2003, Russia's gross domestic product (GDP) was a little more than 1‐10th of U.S. GDP ($1.3 trillion versus $10.9 trillion). Although a larger share of Russia's GDP was devoted to defense expenditures (4.9 percent versus 3.7 percent), in absolute terms the United States outspent Russia by more than 6 to 1. To equal theUnited States, Russia would have to devote more than 20 percent of its GDP to defense, which would exceed what the Soviet Union spent at the height of the Cold War during the 1980s."

C3. India
My opponents only Argument is speculation is that India could not have a positive impact, based on other factors. First of All I have proven in My case that India has had a positive impact because of Political Cooperation and Diplomatic efforts. I have shown evidence my opponent has not. I outweigh. Second, I would like to point out that my opponent did not offer and Harms of India, thus any Pro I can prove creates an overall positive impact.

C4. China
While China may have created some Job loses the Pros outweigh. I have shown that China has also Created 4 million Jobs and saved business' billions of Dollars. While we may have a trade deficit that does not mean anything. That has nothing to do with the rise of China but the U.S. Because of American Consumerism that debt would exist without China except would be with other countries. Also my opponent provides no Specifics.

C5. Overall detriment
The Size of the BRIC's mean nothing to this debate as My opponent gives no impact to this. The Same is true with the membership on the security council. While some of them may possess nuclear capabilities this means nothing for the U.S. as I address in my C3 Russia is already working closely with the U.S in Nuclear Control. China's as Albert Keidel. Senior Associate for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace reports "military expenditures were not only lower than America's, but its ability to produce or acquire sophisticated weapons was also significantly weaker. Conservative calculations of what China's accumulated weapons systems must have been worth in comparison to America's by 2005, based on historical budget data, procurement patterns, and obsolescence assumptions, give the United States the advantage by more than a trillion dollars—a ratio of as much as thirteen to one." India and the U.S signed a Nuclear Cooperation agreement in 1995. Any threat to the U.S from these countries is either non-existent or dealt with.
National debts are inevitable, as I adressed in my attacks on my opponents C4, we are debts are not with BRIC then they will be somewhere else due to the priciples of Scarcity and American Consumerism. I outweigh on China's Jobs point, I have provided evidence that shows an increase of 4 million Jobs in one year alone and my opponent claims 3.3 million Job Losses in 8 years. Also China Itself is investing in the U.S.According to Lawrence York founder of Seriousbull, a market watching company, "China reportedly increased its holdings in US Government mortgage-back securities a thousand-fold from 2000-2006 according to the US State department." And recently, according to a Bloomberg news report by Andy Mukherjee, "China Investment Bank again sharply increased its holdings in Fannie and Freddie debt some 26% compared to a year earlier by purchasing an additional $67 billion more debt" This Negates my opponents impact as lack of any investment was his link. Thus By his Logic China, having invested in the U.S has tried to Raise the U.S economy. Russia is not communist any more, it is not a harm to be cooperating with countries that do not share our exact Political Structure. To Say otherwise would be Ridiculous and Fallacious. Also China is steadily Moving away from Communism.

PRO
Contention 1: Brazil has had a Positive Impact on the U.S due to an increase is Diplomatic Influence in Latin America.
Contention 2. Russia has had a Positive Impact on the U.S due to international Cooperation on Nuclear weapons and terrorism.

Refer to my round one Arguments for the entirety of my contentions
coldsnypa

Con

coldsnypa forfeited this round.
coldsnypa

Con

coldsnypa forfeited this round.
Posted by Metz 8 years ago
Metz
HOW THE HELL AM I LOSING THIS!??!?!?! this is ridiculous.... damn vote bombing
Posted by Metz 8 years ago
Metz
Zach... Will do
Posted by CrossXKING 8 years ago
CrossXKING
HAHA, who is coldsnypa anyways? And who whould be voting for him anyways...
Posted by CrossXKING 8 years ago
CrossXKING
Excuse me but, I dont have any friends. But there is someone messing with you and I because someone has just been voting for me on purpose... But who knows? Or maybe I just been good at debating...
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
Metz, coldsnypa is obviously having a friend or something influence his debate, he did the same to mine here, http://www.debate.org... I will tell my friends to vote for this one for you if you vote well on mine
Posted by AnimeFanTony 8 years ago
AnimeFanTony
Thou art forgiven
Posted by coldsnypa 8 years ago
coldsnypa
I will ask be4 I shall steal. I did not mean to offend thee. Please forgive.
Posted by AnimeFanTony 8 years ago
AnimeFanTony
Ok coldsnypa first of I just wanna say how not cool it is of you to take my arguments and then post it. Plus u took my crappy arguments so you screwed urself. I'm an LDer so i have no use for it outside of debate.org. Also nxt time ask be4 u steal someones arguments. It is really frustrating when people do that. Well good luck to both debaters.
Posted by Freshman 8 years ago
Freshman
Just a suggestion here. The resolution gives you the ackronym(sp?) so i think they want you to talk about BRIC as a whole and not focus so much on the pros and cons of the individual countries. It would be ok to mention a few, but both of your cases mainly focused on each country individually. I would focus on BRIC's over all economic, political, millitary, and social impact on the United States
Posted by coldsnypa 8 years ago
coldsnypa
Well, I am going to have my own arguement in the second round. Just some time...
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by coldsnypa 7 years ago
coldsnypa
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by TheCategorical 8 years ago
TheCategorical
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by CHS 8 years ago
CHS
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by Metz 8 years ago
Metz
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
MetzcoldsnypaTied
Vote Placed by CrossXKING 8 years ago
CrossXKING
MetzcoldsnypaTied