LakevilleNorthJT
francis

Resolved: That secondary education in America should value the fine arts over athletics.

Con Tied Pro
Started: 5/26/2008 Category: Arts

LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will let my opponent make the first move.

Just for clarification:

Affirimitive Burden- Show that the fine arts should be valued over the athletics.

Negative Burden- Show that the fine arts and athletics should be valued the same
francis

Pro

fine arts according to the wikipedia refers to arts that are concerned with a limited number of VISUAL and PERFORMING ART forms like painting, sculpture, dance, theater, architecture and printmaking. In my side I really do not know the kind of curriculum the United States is implementing towards their students. But I strongly believe that the two subjects complement each other, in the sense that athletics is one part of showing a person's talent just like what fine art wants us to do. Implying this statement, it is therefore anbiguous to give priority to both because if your want to engage yourself in athletics it is one way also of engaging yourself in fine arts. Logically speaking if this is the case then it is very appropriate to prioritize fine arts rather than athletics. Fine arts also puts the crearivity of a student physically and mentally so if this is the case , giving most of the time to fine arts rather than athletics will shape students to be physically and mentally fit .
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will address my opponents arguments.

" fine arts according to the wikipedia refers to arts that are concerned with a limited number of VISUAL and PERFORMING ART forms like painting, sculpture, dance, theater, architecture and printmaking."

If you want to be a good debater, I would not use Wikipedia as a primary source. For all anyone knows, you could have edited it and could have been the author of that definition.

"In my side I really do not know the kind of curriculum the United States is implementing towards their students."

This topic is not concerning curriculm but rather extra curricular activities, Two completely different things.

"But I strongly believe that the two subjects complement each other, in the sense that athletics is one part of showing a person's talent just like what fine art wants us to do. Implying this statement, it is therefore anbiguous to give priority to both because if your want to engage yourself in athletics it is one way also of engaging yourself in fine arts. Logically speaking if this is the case then it is very appropriate to prioritize fine arts rather than athletics."

CONTRADICTION!!!! My opponent says that we prioritize both but then says we prioritize fine arts. Look to my burden. I must show that both parts of the resolution be prioritized the same. HE CONCEDES TO MY BURDEN. Thus even if I say nothing for the rest of the round, I have won.

"Fine arts also puts the crearivity of a student physically and mentally so if this is the case , giving most of the time to fine arts rather than athletics will shape students to be physically and mentally fit ."

This point fails to explain how fine arts helps a person physically.

MY OPPONENT AGREES WITH MY BURDEN AND THUS I HAVE WON.
francis

Pro

its very shameful for my opponent to assert that i do want to prioritize both. what i am explaining is that these two subjects cannot be separated easily. Look at the definition that i have gave regarding fine arts. Physically healthy because it is not only your mind that works when performing these kinds of activities but also your senses.im so sorry because i cannot fully understand the arguments that my opponent is raisng.
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

"its very shameful for my opponent to assert that i do want to prioritize both. what i am explaining is that these two subjects cannot be separated easily."

"Implying this statement, it is therefore anbiguous to give priority to both"

I'm pretty sure your second statement contradicts the first.

" Look at the definition that i have gave regarding fine arts."

First of all, this is completely irrelevant in this debate. Second, extend the argument about Wikipedia not being a reliable source.

"Physically healthy because it is not only your mind that works when performing these kinds of activities but also your senses."

My opponent does not show why fine arts is phsically healthy. He says it helps you mentally but not physically.

"im so sorry because i cannot fully understand the arguments that my opponent is raisng."

This is basically a forfeiture. He just explains that he has no response to my arguments.

MY OPPONENT AGREES WITH MY BURDEN AND THUS I HAVE WON. HE SAYS THAT BOTH OF THESE TWO ACTIVITIES OUGHT BE VALUED THE SAME AND THUS I HAVE WON.
francis

Pro

yes both should be valued bacause the curriculum will not accept both of these subjects if one of the two or both is irrelevant in shaping the minds of the students. What i am arguing is that looking at the two subjects CAREFULLY, FINE ARTS IS A PACKAGE WHEREIN ATHLETICS IS INCLUDED. I said that it is ambiguous to give priority to both because as i have said they both complement each other to the extent that one is part of the other. But seeing athletics AS PART OF FINE ARTS, you are so stupid if you will not value fine arts the most rather than the other. I have no response to your arguments? Basically YES BECAUSE YOU ARE NT GIVING ME ANY ARGUMENTS AT ALL! I am not saying actually tat we value both what i am saying is that the reinforce each other because one is part of the other LOGICALLY SPEAKING!! To my opponent for yur information extra curricular is part of the curriculum being implemented in schools and giving importance to both is not the issue in this debate because it is both the subjects are important what i am arguing about is that one is better than the other so better to choose the better one and as i have said many times both complement to each other in the sense that ATHLETICS IS PART OF FINE ARTS .
Posted by Conversealot1 8 years ago
Conversealot1
I believe Fine arts is more important as peoples intellect is more important than their physical strength and skill needing to be developed. Sports can be learnt after college. If one wants to move into a sports based career, then obviously someone should concentrate more on their skills as a sportsman and put a couple more hours a week on their practice as a basketball player than worry about their fine art skills.
However I have thought reading Peggy butlers report on Blacks learning less to other races in schools on subjects such as medecine, politics, education etc. I believe the priority of Black people might be to adhere to trying to pull up on finding a solution for them to be more interested in other subjects such as these. However what are the problems being faced for black people choosing sport over these other subjects. One of the problems that was mentioned was an overly stressed motivation for money. I think there should be a question why do black people believe they cannot succeed mainly in the subjects they are not choosing to do instead of sport? What other reasons are holding them back?
Posted by DrAlexander 8 years ago
DrAlexander
Wiki is my best friend!

-Alexander
Posted by Life_is_Abstract 8 years ago
Life_is_Abstract
Con:

Using wikipedia doesnt mean you are a bad debater! He was simply taking a simple definition. The funny thing is you didnt dispute his definition. So truly you would be the bad debater for believing it!
Posted by DrAlexander 8 years ago
DrAlexander
Ah! I have no clue how to vote on this one...
So far PRO has my vote through a little more persuasion.
Vote Placed by krystenforever 6 years ago
krystenforever
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by dasamster 6 years ago
dasamster
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 8 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by USAPitBull63 8 years ago
USAPitBull63
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by emman101 8 years ago
emman101
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 8 years ago
lawyer_in_training
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by flamingdebater 8 years ago
flamingdebater
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied
Vote Placed by beem0r-sucks 8 years ago
beem0r-sucks
LakevilleNorthJTfrancisTied