LakevilleNorthJT
DanTheLawyer

Resolved: That secondary education in America should value the fine arts over athletics.

Con Tied Pro
Started: 5/26/2008 Category: Arts

LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will let my opponent make the first move.

Just for clarification:

Affirimitive Burden- Show that the fine arts should be valued over the athletics.

Negative Burden- Show that the fine arts and athletics should be valued the same
DanTheLawyer

Pro

Fine arts overrules athletics, because; yes athletics help you stay fit, but fine arts take time and has been more unique through history sense the beginning of time. For example: Art, Band, Chorus, Theater, and Orchestra. Cave drawings is an example of art which is admired by millions through time, band which is gospel and old singing without words to the music you have now, as the same with chorus and Orchestra. So, they should teach it, which also goes into within history subjects , which history relates to everything in education in America, but Athletics have not been as popular as fine arts.
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will address my opponents arguments:

"Fine arts overrules athletics, because; yes athletics help you stay fit, but fine arts take time and has been more unique through history sense the beginning of time."

Wow, my opponent gives a clear reason why you negate without me even having to say anything. Athletics help keep fit whereas fine arts don't. I have clearly won this argument and have basicall won the debate before it has even started. My opponent's first argument makes no sesnse. Just because something takes more time doesn't mean it should be valued more. Even if you were to use this logic, you would negate, this is because I will provide an example. One round of debate is shorter than a basketball game showing that in this case, athletics ought be valued more.

" For example: Art, Band, Chorus, Theater, and Orchestra. Cave drawings is an example of art which is admired by millions through time, band which is gospel and old singing without words to the music you have now, as the same with chorus and Orchestra. So, they should teach it, which also goes into within history subjects , which history relates to everything in education in America, but Athletics have not been as popular as fine arts."

Even though this is a long paragraph and may seem intellectual, it simply is not. The majority of this is my opponent listing off examples of fine arts which in no way helps him win this round. He then makes some unclear link to history. So fine arts is related to history, that doesn't mean it should be valued higher than athletics. My opponents last statement is just false. He can in no way provide evidence showing that the fine arts is more popular than athletics in secondary schools, it is rather the other way around.

I contend that students ought the right to pick their own extra-curricular activities in school. Thus we come to a compromise that athletics and fine arts ought be valued the same. When looking to the resolution, in this case, you must vote CON because pro has not shown why fine arts should be valued more which is what the resoltuion asks. All he accomplished in his last speech was to name different types of fine arts which is insufficient to affirm.
DanTheLawyer

Pro

Well yes i did list things but only to prove things. As i must say you have put up a good argument, but Fine Arts has been here longer than Athletics and yes a round of debate is shorter than a game of basketball, but Basketball just keeps you fit and Fine Arts can keep you fit as well and increases your knowledge. I wont go into examples again, because you will just say that my last paragraph was to seem intellectually described when you think it wasn't. My last statement was in fact accurate and not false, because music which is fine arts is on television, in football staduims,dances,cars, and much more. Music is in more places than Athletics in Education in America. Also it takes acting to advertise those television shows you watch and comercials. My opponent has yet to state and argument to how athletics are more valued of fine arts except for the fact he has just broke dont my speech and state i have no proof.
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will start byy addressing my opponents argumentation.

"Well yes i did list things but only to prove things."

Next time you should tell the audience exactly which "things" you are trying to prove.

"As i must say you have put up a good argument, but Fine Arts has been here longer than Athletics and yes a round of debate is shorter than a game of basketball, but Basketball just keeps you fit and Fine Arts can keep you fit as well and increases your knowledge."

My opponent helps me win the round by saying this. He proposes athletics helps your body stay fit and arts help your mind stay fit. Thus there is no way one of these two thing ought be valued more.

"I wont go into examples again, because you will just say that my last paragraph was to seem intellectually described when you think it wasn't.

"I wont go into examples again, because you will just say that my last paragraph was to seem intellectually described when you think it wasn't."

Thank you for not listing things to prove things.

"My last statement was in fact accurate and not false, because music which is fine arts is on television, in football staduims,dances,cars, and much more. Music is in more places than Athletics in Education in America. Also it takes acting to advertise those television shows you watch and comercials.'

This is untopical. The resolution is secondary school specific, this argument is not. Thus it should not be accepted. I contend that in secondary schools, athletics are more popular than fine arts.

"My opponent has yet to state and argument to how athletics are more valued of fine arts except for the fact he has just broke dont my speech and state i have no proof."

My opponent concedes that I have undoubtably shown that I successfully broke down his speech and have successfully shown he has no proof. He then says I have not given any of my own arguments. Look to the bottom of my last speech, "contend that students ought the right to pick their own extra-curricular activities in school. Thus we come to a compromise that athletics and fine arts ought be valued the same. When looking to the resolution, in this case, you must vote CON because pro has not shown why fine arts should be valued more which is what the resoltuion asks. All he accomplished in his last speech was to name different types of fine arts which is insufficient to affirm." THIS GOES COLD DROPPED AND NEEDS TO BE EXTENDED ACROSS THE FLOW.

THE CON HAS SHOWN THAT FINE ARTS AND ATHLETICS SHOULD BE VALUED THE SAME. THUS YOU VOTE CON.
DanTheLawyer

Pro

Before I proposed athletics helps your body stay fit and arts help your mind stay fit and keep yourslef phiscally fit. Not what he stated which was "He proposes athletics helps your body stay fit and arts help your mind stay fit.". Now when i mean it keeps your mind fit is that for 1, you ae learning, and band is a fine art and with that you have to do breathing excercises which helps your respirtory system which the respirtory system consists of: nose, nasal cavity, larynx, trachea, the bronchi, the lungs. The main Function is too keep adequte oxygen available to the body and remove carbon dioxide. So therefore, it increasres your knowledge and your breathing system.So that should prove that fine arts is better than Athletics.
Posted by tangerineman91 8 years ago
tangerineman91
If DanTheLawyer is really a lawyer, I'm shocked at how poorly he understands the concept of burden of proof. If Con can show that Pro can't meet the burden of proof, he doesn't even have to bring forward ANY proof.
Though I agree with Pro's position, there's no way to vote for such poor debating. I agree with Hypnodoc, you would have been much more convincing if you cited evidence which would support your side.
Oh, and I'm a competition pianist. I know how tiring the Fine Arts can be.
Posted by ajborn2act10 8 years ago
ajborn2act10
I am a theatre student and i can tell you anyone who says that fine arts is not a way to stay fit has obviously never watched a rehearsal done by a company who has an action show. I just finished up two shows and i can tell you they are not just sitting around and doing nothing. An average rehearsals for us starts with breathing exorcises and an at least 20 minuets physical warm ups. This is because in order to project (talk loudly so the audience can hear you) without damaging your throat you must have strong abb muscles. The other physical warm up is so that while performing on stage no actor is hurt from the stunts we do on stage. And yes this is with a HIGH SCHOOL theatre department. I bet you can imagine what a professional theatre will have to do. I also did dance when i was younger. I did modern jazz and ballet, being on a stage and performing is not as easy as it may seem it is aerobic and physically challenging. I am not saying this to disrespect your opinion or anything else. however, i think you need to reconsider before saying fine arts is not good way to stay physically fit.
Posted by DanTheLawyer 8 years ago
DanTheLawyer
I know I didn't use spell check ,but I was in a hurry
Posted by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
I agree with Pro here but I believe Con made a better case. I might also suggest that Pro uses spell check before posting.

I personally would have cited studies that show a fine arts education raising the IQ.
Posted by DanTheLawyer 8 years ago
DanTheLawyer
Before I proposed athletics helps your body stay fit and arts help your mind stay fit and keep yourslef phiscally fit. Not what he stated which was "He proposes athletics helps your body stay fit and arts help your mind stay fit.". Now when i mean it keeps your mind fit is that for 1, you ae learning, and band is a fine art and with that you have to do breathing excercises which helps your respirtory system which the respirtory system consists of: nose, nasal cavity, larynx, trachea, the bronchi, the lungs. The main Function is too keep adequte oxygen available to the body and remove carbon dioxide. So therefore, it increasres your knowledge and your breathing system.So that should prove that fine arts is better than Athletics
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 6 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by dasamster 6 years ago
dasamster
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by emman101 8 years ago
emman101
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 8 years ago
lawyer_in_training
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by ally93 8 years ago
ally93
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by beem0r-sucks 8 years ago
beem0r-sucks
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by necromancer 8 years ago
necromancer
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by Josh 8 years ago
Josh
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied
Vote Placed by nationalsqualifier 8 years ago
nationalsqualifier
LakevilleNorthJTDanTheLawyerTied