Carla_Macie57
Lazy

Resolved: That the private ownership of handguns be banned in the U.S.

Lazy

Carla_Macie57

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate with debate.org so please be patient as I learn to work around the site. A little about me b4 we get started... I am a public forum debater ( and have been for two years) I have won second place in every tournament I went to (including last year) except for one in which I won third. ( Not being snobby just telling how I debate and my experience :) ) This will be a public forum debate cut short. I will give a constructive and then you will give yours. we will then have a round of X-fire. This will be followed by a short summery/final focus. Please keep in mind that public forum debate is more about the strength of your arguments and how you can defend them so don't count on little tubs of evidence.(Although in the case of this resolution evidence is improtant.) Accept if you want to have a good debate about gun control. I wish you the best of luck and may the best debater win.

Handgun Pro Case
In 1997—the most recent year available—there were 89 firearm deaths per day, or a firearm death every 16 minutes. - vpc.org
Think about this for a moment. That's a lot of unnecessary deaths. Not to mention how many of those cases involved innocent children or women. Logically this alone can begin to show handguns do more harm than good. For this reason my partner and I stand in the affirmative for the following resolution. Resolved: That the private owner ship of handguns should be banned in the United States.
In this debate my three main points are:
1.By allowing handguns we are putting our children at risk
2.Handguns are responsible for way too many deaths
3.The cost to our nation is enormous
Onto my first point- By allowing handguns we are putting our children at risk- this is entirely true and evidence of it is abundant. Innocent children die every day because of these weapons and many more are wounded. Consider these facts:
•In homes with guns, a member of the household is almost three times as likely to be the victim of a homicide compared to gun-free homes.
•In 2005, eight young people aged 19 and under were killed a day by a firearm in the United States.1 In 2006, 48 per day were non-fatally wounded.
•In 2005, 1,972 children and teenagers were murdered with guns, 822 committed suicide with guns, and 173 died in unintentional shootings. Twenty-one were killed in a police intervention, and another 39 died, but the intent was not known. A total of 3,027 young people were killed by firearms in the U.S.3
•In 2005, 81% of murder victims aged 12 to 24 years old were killed with a firearm.4
•Firearms are the second-leading cause of death (after motor vehicle accidents) for young people ages 1-19 in the U.S.5
•The rate of firearm death of under 14-years-old is nearly 12 times higher in the U.S. than in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
If this is not evidence enough of the negative way handguns affect our children and teens, I don't know what is.
Point2.- Handguns are responsible for way to many deaths- In 1997—the most recent year available—there were 89 firearm deaths per day, or a firearm death every 16 minutes. Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings. Handguns were used in more than 650,000 of these fatal shootings.-vpc.org We are losing more people to handguns than those that fought in the Korean War. This is truly sad and unacceptable. Something has got to be done! If still not convinced look at these statistics: From 1990 to 1997, handguns were used in a majority (55.6 percent) of all homicides; that is, they were used in murder more than all other weapons combined. –vpc.org
From 1990 to 1997 in the United States there were more than—
•160,000 homicides
•110,000 firearm homicides
89,000 handgun homicides –vpc.org
On the average, if someone gets shot and killed, four out of five times it will be with a handgun. In 1997, for example, handguns were used in 79.4 percent of all firearm homicides.
Point 3.- The cost to our nation is enormous- Consider this,
•For every firearm death, there are nearly three gun injuries requiring emergency medical treatment.-vpc.org
•By conservative estimates, gunshot injuries cost about $4 billion a year in medical expenses. –vpc.org
In conclusion, I hope I have shown you the necessary evidence to show you that handguns simply aren't worth it and the solution is simple; a handgun ban. Please vote Pro.
Lazy

Con

Hi, I accept your debate. I never debated before on this website or any.

Let me first remind the audience that this debate is about.

1) We are debating if handguns should be banned.
2) We are not debating whether it should be regulated.
3) We are not debating if handguns are bad or good.
3) Banning requires more than just the idea that something is bad or good. Many things have a negative impact on society like gangster rap that are not banned because of rights. Some things are not banned of the alternative cost of banning it like alcohol.

Now to points as to why handguns should not be banned.
1) Handguns are made out worse than they are.

Only 1% of all legal firearms owned in the United States has ever been used to kill or injure a human being. That makes millions of firearms including most handguns have no blood. Most legal firearms have never been used to hunt animals as well. 1

2) Banning handguns will not lower deaths due to handguns significantly if at all.

Most handguns used in crime are black market guns. They are either stolen or sold illegally.1
If guns are in the black market without a ban then the chances are that with one they will be in the black market with a ban. Most crimes are already being done with illegal guns.

3) Legal handguns availability does not seem to negatively or positively correlated with crime.

In the state of California the districts with most regulation have higher crime than those with lower regulation of firearms. 1

You mention that "The rate of firearm death of under 14-years-old is nearly 12 times higher in the U.S. than in 25 other industrialized countries combined."
The United States does have higher homicides than most industrialize countries but it isn't 12 times higher than Great Britain.2
Great Britian has high gun control and less homicides.2
Switzerland has very similar gun control laws as United States and has a lot less homicides per 100000 people than the United States.2
The reason is because handguns don't cause violence and don't make violent tendencies. The violence is caused by cultural things. Those cultural things are poverty, drugs, and education levels.
Switzerland and the United Kingdom has far less of these problems than the United States.
Another proof of this is that 67% of all homicides in the United States are related to drug trafficking.1

I have more reason but I'll just leave these ones for now.

1) U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics
2) Wall Street Journal Europe
Carla_Macie57

Pro

Carla_Macie57 forfeited this round.
Lazy

Con

I will assume that Carla_Macie57 is busy.

I will counter her points.

1. By allowing handguns we are putting our children at risk

This statistic are actually very low in comparisons to how much households have firearms in the United States. 25% of American adults own guns. Most are handguns. This doesn't include the ownership of illegal handgun.

Illegal handguns are more likely to be used for crime than legal.
http://www.ojp.gov...

The statistic itself shows that most kids killed by firearms are due to crime. the 1,972 children and teenagers murdered with guns are normally in neighborhood with a lot of drug dealers and gangs. These gangs normally are the ones that steal the guns or get them through black market.

Looking at Switzerland statistics on firearms the murder rate is comparable to United Kingdom but suicides due to firearms are high. But suicide rates in United Kingdom are the same. This helps conclude that firearms do not increase suicide are are just used as a different means of committing suicide.

3.The cost to our nation is enormous

This is true but doesn't account for how much the cost will be if it handguns were banned. Most handguns used in violent crimes are either stolen or bought in an illegal market. That means that the cost of deaths and medical will not lower significantly or not at all.

The statistics cannot account how much legal guns protect people. The statistics will never calculate how much people didn't die from a gun. Gun protection is consider by the FBI as the best protection against violent crime.

Many predict that gun violence will actually increase because criminals normally attain illegal guns but good citizens are normally the ones that will give up the hangun. That will make crime easier because the criminals are not afraid of their victim also having equal protection.

Why are handguns necessary for protection? After all you are just asking to ban handguns.

Handguns are more quick that other guns to use and they are concealable. It is easy to spot a person that has a shotgun attempting to grab it then one with a handgun. Handguns are easy to carry for normal citizens as well so if a criminal comes they can hide the gun and then use it on a criminal. Otherwise if the person was hold a rifle on his back that person literally has a target on his back.
Carla_Macie57

Pro

Carla_Macie57 forfeited this round.
Lazy

Con

Ah! she forfeited another round vote con.
Carla_Macie57

Pro

Carla_Macie57 forfeited this round.
Lazy

Con

Lazy forfeited this round.
Carla_Macie57

Pro

Carla_Macie57 forfeited this round.
Lazy

Con

Lazy forfeited this round.
Posted by Carla_Macie57 8 years ago
Carla_Macie57
good job questioning my arguments though.. i'm sure you are a great debater.. & yea sure 4 billion dollars isn't a lot of money uhuh... besides the fact that it is per year.. :)
Posted by Carla_Macie57 8 years ago
Carla_Macie57
wjmelements- I have given evidence u haven't. Until u do you arguments are worth nothing to me ( no offense, simple rules of debate- evidence trumps no evidence)
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
"1.By allowing handguns we are putting our children at risk"

By not allowing handguns, our citizens are at risk.

"2.Handguns are responsible for way too many deaths"

This is subjective... Well, people kill people, and without handguns, they'd just use something else...

"3.The cost to our nation is enormous"

4 billion is hardly enormous... that's about $10 bucks a person...
Posted by PervRat 8 years ago
PervRat
WTH, I accepted the challenge but it didn't show :/
Posted by PervRat 8 years ago
PervRat
I am a very strong believer in tight gun control laws, but thought I'd take the "con" side for a challenge. Given how inexperienced I am, please don't expect much of an entertaining challenge from me ...
Vote Placed by Lazy 8 years ago
Lazy
Carla_Macie57LazyTied