NuclearDeterrance
Jallen289

Resolved: The Human Race is parasitic

NuclearDeterrance

Pro

Ever since the Human race has been around on this life-sustaining space rock called Earth, we have shaped pieces of our environment to augment our survival capabilities. From the using rock and bone to using nuclear fuel and rocket technology, humans have shown immense resolve and innovation. However, with each gallon of oil extracted, each animal forced into a slaughterhouse, we reinforce the fact that we are damaging the very planet we call home. Just watch how a chicken or cow facility treats its "products" on the Internet, just read how many species became extinct this week, just find out much solar radiation is kept in the atmosphere. The list goes on. And on. Do you like walking? Well, you might have to learn if you live to see the day we exhaust our fossil fuels and you can't drive your pickup truck. Not only are humans parasitic to the Earth and its many species, we are also parasitic to each other. Take America for example. A developed country with a stable economy and providing government. Then compare that to Sudan, with a divided country, poor economy, and barely enough food to keep people alive. I haven't even mentioned disease. 20% of the world's human population hold 80% of the world's wealth. Justify that.
Prove to me and everyone else that I am wrong and I will bow to you.
Jallen289

Con

First off, I’d like to thank my opponent for making the debate with a full 8,000 max character setting. It’s so hard to debate anything when you have a pathetic 1,000 characters to do so.

I’d like to start by saying – and this is just my opinion – that it is not correct to link extracting oil and the processes that go on at a slaughterhouse to damaging the planet. Almost half of the oil (47%) leaked into marine environments is actually from natural seepage. Only 4% comes from the actual process of offshore drilling (1). Environmentalists will refrain from telling you these facts; along with the fact that other large chunk comes from tankers as this would not help their arguments at all. “Crude-oil seeps are natural phenomena over which humankind has little direct control, although oil production probably has reduced oil-seepage rates.” (2)

Environmentalists also argue that global warming emits dangerous greenhouse gases and causes surface temperatures in the air and on sea to rise damaging the environment when in fact, the primary greenhouse gas emitted is carbon dioxide which is vital for life on earth and has caused a 10% increase in crop growth. (3) Moreover, over the past 35 years the continent of Antarctica has cooled, according to scientists with the National Science Foundation’s Long Term Ecological Research project. (4)

While global warming is not directly related to my opponent’s actual argument, it is an argument commonly used by liberals and environmentalists alike.

Also, it would not be correct to argue that all of the species that become extinct are a result of humans. I can understand a person’s urge to play the blame game when they feel strongly about an issue however; it is not fair to put the blame of the extinctions of species around the world on humans. Moreover, my opponent’s comment regarding solar radiation does not pertain to humans at all as humans obviously do not create solar radiation.

To address my opponent’s claims about exhausting fossil fuels; between 1948 and 1992, oil reserves increased by 1,400%. By 1990 those reserves exceeded one trillion barrels. (5)

My opponent gave no source for his “Pareto principle” claim that 80% of the world’s wealth is controlled by 20% of the population. I will say, however, that even if the claim were true, it has nothing to do with humans destroying the world. It may be sad to some people who do not fully understand economics, but it does not pertain to the argument in any way, in my opinion.

Take America for example. A developed country with a stable economy and providing government. Then compare that to Sudan, with a divided country, poor economy, and barely enough food to keep people alive. I haven't even mentioned disease.

I’m not sure how this comment pertains to humans being “parasitic”, as my opponent has said.

In closing, I’d like to point out that most liberals and many environmentalists believe in evolution and believe that humans evolved from other mammals. They argue this position to the fullest extreme. It’s interesting that when the topic changes to something like this debate, or when a liberal argues something like; “Just watch how a chicken or cow facility treats its "products" on the Internet, just read how many species became extinct this week”, they put humans in another category altogether. A bear feeding on his freshly killed dinner doesn’t look environmentally friendly, or appetizing for that matter, and the process of the bear actually killing the animal looks a little more violent. But it’s nature. Bears could live on vegetables alone, but it can catch and kill other animals for a bigger
and more filling meal so why not?

(1)http://www.boemre.gov...

(2)U.S. Geological Survey, 2003

(3)Sallie Baliunas, "The Kyoto Protocol and Global Warming," Imprimis, March 2002, Vol. 31, No.3, p.6

(4)"Capital Briefs: Cold Globaloney," Human Events, 21 January, 2002

(5)Lomborg p.4 "The Skeptical Environmentalist"

NuclearDeterrance

Pro

NuclearDeterrance forfeited this round.
Jallen289

Con

Jallen289 forfeited this round.
NuclearDeterrance

Pro

NuclearDeterrance forfeited this round.
Jallen289

Con

Jallen289 forfeited this round.
Posted by NuclearDeterrance 5 years ago
NuclearDeterrance
Deal.
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
"Prove to me and everyone else that I am wrong and I will bow to you."

When you lose, I want a video.