i3rn3st
ConservativeAmerican

Resolved The U.S. government should not require its citizens to have health insurance.

ConservativeAmerican

i3rn3st

Con

I stand on the firm negation of this topic due to these three contentions
1. The Requirement Won"t Have Any Significant Impact - People who don"t have health insurance will not be suddenly motivated to get it because of some government requirement. They will still abuse the emergency care system as they always have. A requirement doesn"t suddenly make health insurance affordable, nor does it motivate people to pay for something they don"t feel they need.
2. Individual Rights - Every person has a right not to have health insurance. By not getting health insurance, I am only endangering my life and nobody else"s. Therefore, I should have the ability to forego health insurance if I should choose. It"s not the government"s place to tell me how to manage my life. for these reasons i stand on the firm negation of this resolve
ConservativeAmerican

Pro

The government should not require their citizens to pay for healthcare. My opponent obviously wastes the first round being the devil's advocate and arguing against his own base argument. My opponent, although via his argument he takes the side of those who are against mandated healthcare, chose the side that is for it. Thereby unless he decides to be the devil's advocate and argue for mandated healthcare, he loses on a technicality.

Argument against Gov't Mandated Healthcare:

Duel contradiction, in one scenario the gov't is forcing people to buy something off the private market, which is unconstitutional to start, because Congress has not been given the power to force an individual to enter into a contract with a private company.

Since a prominent issue in this argument is the constitutionality, I hereby argue that the US gov't obviously should not require it's citizens to have health insurance.
i3rn3st

Con

i3rn3st forfeited this round.
ConservativeAmerican

Pro

All arguments extended.
i3rn3st

Con

i3rn3st forfeited this round.
ConservativeAmerican

Pro

Arguments once again extended.
i3rn3st

Con

i3rn3st forfeited this round.
ConservativeAmerican

Pro

Vote for Pro, con has fore-fitted and obviously conceded that semantics were fine to use to win.
Posted by Manatee 4 years ago
Manatee
The resolution is a negative. You're con, which means you should be arguing for an individual mandate. Your arguments are for the wrong side.
Vote Placed by teddy2013 4 years ago
teddy2013
i3rn3stConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obviously Pro gets conduct based on completing the debate, and not forfeiting. Con said he had three contentions, then listed two. Only Pro made arguments for his position.
Vote Placed by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
i3rn3stConservativeAmericanTied