Thinkforyourself
GregM08

Resolved: The US government should adopted a universal health care system

Thinkforyourself

Pro

This is my first Debate, I am interested as to how this works. I will do my best to follow how this from of debate is ran.

Observation One: 1. I am not here to tell anyone that their political beliefs are wrong, or to force my arguments on anyone, that is not my intention. I am simply here :
a. Show that there is a crisis in health care
b. To bring attention and consideration some methods in where we can improve the ethics and economics of our health care system in America.

Observation Two: Because the highest cost is human life and the quality thereof, impacts on life or quality of life should be weighed the most heavily in this round.

To further clarify the round we provide the following definition:

U.S. Government: the executive and legislative and judicial branches of the federal government of the United States. Princeton University
GregM08

Con

The highest impediment to enhancing quality of life and controlling healthcare costs are the poor health decisions made by individuals. When a 20-year old man hasn"t exercised in five years and eats red meat every day subsequently becomes obese with heart disease, is it their choices or their health insurance that needs to be improved?

1) Providing universal healthcare will not improve the quality of life for individuals who make poor health decisions. The Center for Disease Control found in a recent study that 35.7% of adults in America, with or without quality health insurance, are obese. Their obesity adds $66 billion in annual obesity-related medical costs over and above the $147 billion we spend on other medical related expenses (http://www.reuters.com...). If many of these obese Americans already have health insurance, adding more of it will not compel them to make better choices about their diet and exercise routine.
2) The Affordable Care Act, which does not equate to universal healthcare coverage, addresses the reduction of death due to chronic disease with educational outreach programs. According to the Huffington Post"s Caitlin Padula, these chronic health conditions account for seven out of 10 deaths in America (http://www.huffingtonpost.com...). If, as you suggest, human life is of supreme importance, then this legislation will have already reduced such a cost of poor health choices without the need to provide universal healthcare insurance.

If individuals are to improve their quality of life and prevent premature death, then they need to start making better choices about their diet, exercise, and substance use. Adopting universal healthcare in American is an unnecessary and inefficacious method of achieving that goal.
Thinkforyourself

Pro

First off thank you for accepting my challenge.

1. My first contention is that of Human Life. Currently there are 44 million people who do not have insurance, and another 38 million who are under insured. This has a major effect on human life. It creates the problem of those who are uninsured not receiving vital medical care. According to Reuters in 2009 “Nearly 45,000 people die in the United States each year -- one every 12 minutes -- in large part because they lack health insurance and can not get good care, Harvard Medical School researchers found in an analysis released on Thursday. ‘We're losing more Americans every day because of inaction ... than drunk driving and homicide combined,’ Dr. David Himmelstein, a co-author of the study and an associate professor of medicine at Harvard, said in an interview with Reuters.” Clearly at the point where we as the neg stand to save 45,000 lives every year you have no other choice but to vote for us, especially because life is the biggest impact in the round. Furthermore, not only does this affect life, but according to the Center for American Progress “The poorer health and shorter lifespans of the uninsured are estimated to cost the economy $207 billion a year.”

2. The uninsured disproportionately increase Emergency Room, or ER, waiting times. This is explained by Health Access who finds that without health insurance coverage, emergency rooms are sometimes the only access to medical services a person has. In fact, a study from the American Medical Student Association found that 20% of the uninsured say their usual source of care is the emergency room, compared to just 3% of the insured. Overloading the ER is bad for two reasons. First, according to a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine, fewer than 57% of those who should have been seen by a doctor within 14 minutes because of the seriousness of their ailments had actually been cared for within the time recommended. Second, according to the New York Times, in 2008 there were at least 200 deaths caused by patients’ inability to receive an ER bed. The healthcare mandate alleviates much of this problem. This is because as stated earlier, more people will have health insurance and thus go to the ER less decreasing the waits. In fact, according to a study of the mandates in the 2006 Massachusetts reform done by Sarah Miller of the University of Illinois, reform reduced ER usage by between 2 and 8 percent, nearly all of which is accounted for by a reduction in non-urgent visits that could be treated in alternative settings.

3. The United States by far spends the most per capita on health care, but provides the worst coverage of any developed nation. These issues stem from rising costs within private insurance companies.the Congressional Budget Office reports that costs have more than tripled as a share of our economy since 1950 These costs will double by 2050 if untreated. The Medicare/Medicaid Crisis stems from health care costs. The New England Journal of Medicine in 2009 states “The primary driver of this burden is not the aging of our society or the specifics of eligibility for these entitlements, but rather the uncontained underlying growth in health care costs...Thus, the sustainability of our healthcare system and economy depends on reining in health care costs. Universal health insurance coverage is, in a sense, central to these efforts, because squaring away a baseline level of coverage will allow policymakers to focus their energies on cost control.” This is important because these programs will collapse the healthcare system and the economy without solvency. Providing universal coverage represents an important prerequisite to addressing the most important fiscal issue facing the U.S. government: the enormous future promises made through our public insurance programs, Medicare and Medicaid. Recent estimates that the future obligations of the U.S. government for the Medicare program alone, minus any Medicare payroll taxes collected, will be more than $70 trillion — an amount that is seven times that of our national debt. Closing this gap, along with the $15 trillion gap in the Social Security program, would require roughly a tripling of the existing payroll tax on firms and workers — clearly an unsustainable fiscal burden for the country and its taxpayers.
GregM08

Con

GregM08 forfeited this round.
Thinkforyourself

Pro

Even though the Con forfeit the round, I will just go over why I win this round.

First off, my hole case flows threw and all my impacts still stand.
first impact was the is the problem off the uninsured and the 45,000 life's lost annually. Plus the 207 billion a year.

second impact is the ER times and the problem of not receiving the necessary care in the time window.

And the third of the rising cost of care.

Now to go over my opponents points.

the Con is focusing on the problem of the patrons who do not take the healthy choice and going the poor health decisions.

Now this has little to do with Universal Health. But yes it is a problem to the health of that individual. The Fact is, they are US citizens and their poor health decisions is no reason to justify their right to health and life.
Also right now this gives the insurer the ability to clam self negligence and there for removing their benefits. In the large part the people do not have the sufficient income to pay the expenses and then the tax payer need to pay it.

Now I have shown huge impact on Life and quality there of, and they do not. now for these reasons the Pro wins this round.
Vote Pro
GregM08

Con

GregM08 forfeited this round.
Thinkforyourself

Pro

Thinkforyourself forfeited this round.
GregM08

Con

GregM08 forfeited this round.
Posted by Thinkforyourself 4 years ago
Thinkforyourself
Haha I understand, I have finals going on and its hard to find time! so its chill!
Posted by GregM08 4 years ago
GregM08
"Let me tell you why I won this round..." Love it! : )

Sorry I missed the last round, work has been crazy the past two days! I'll try to post a response tomorrow.
Posted by Thinkforyourself 4 years ago
Thinkforyourself
I am going at in a PF Style... I have never done LD. I didnt really know what format i should go at it.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Oh god please tell me you're not trying to do this LD style. Because that'd make me really want to take this and pull out my old Ks.