lloxit
Mila

Resolved: The US system of presidential primaries is contrary to democratic values

Con Tied Pro

lloxit

Con

the founding fathers set this up for a reason. You guys are missing the part that PEOPLE WANT to vote in the democratic and republican primaries.

If these were the government-established-only-allowed parties, I'd agree. BUT IT IS THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE TO MOST OFTEN VOTE DEMOCRAT/REPUBLICAN.

Thats what you're all missing; the people want these parties. The primaries don't limit the people. The people CHOOSE the primaries.

//because of how extensive and powerful the others are//

And WHY are they extensive and powerful? The majority of the nation supports them. The people make their free will choice to vote democrat or republican. The REASON THEY"RE SO POWERFUL IS BECAUSE PEOPLE SUPPORT THEM -- NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

What it boils down to....

1) People excersize their right to vote how they want.
2) Many people believe along the same lines.
3) The main two divergant lines are the democrats and the republicans.
4) These parties are created by the will of the people, born of common ideals
5) Since so many people believe in these ways, the parties are very well known, which is why their parties are covered very well in the media.
6) The democratic/republic primaries do nothing, however, to detract from any other party.

And affirming the resolution doesn't solve the problem of a primary system (we'd still have two parties) so I'd say even if youre right, based off of your contentions of parties being corrupt, the aff does nothing.
Mila

Pro

Presidential primaries are undemocratic because they force people into a very narrow scope of candidates. Let's say the primary winners are two people who I don't like at all; now I am forced to vote for someone who I don't support, or not vote at all. I'm not picking my government; and if a candidate wins by a small percentage, that means a lot of people aren't getting their government. Of course not everyone can be happy; eventually only one person will win. But primaries force people to pick early. The popularity of a candidate swings, and it's unfair to kick someone out early just because there's someone ahead of them months before the actual election. In this election especially, I could still see either Clinton or Obama, either McCain or Romney, winning in November. Why can't I vote for the candidate I like?

Party rules within primaries are also undemocratic. In my state (New York), and many others, people can only vote if they are registered either Democrat or Republican. This means that independents like me can't vote in the primaries, so we can't actually have a say. This constricts people to picking out of two political parties, even in other states since voters must vote within their parties.

Essentially, primaries force voters to pick from pre-packaged political deals, and aren't given their actual say.
lloxit

Con

Even if the candidate isnt someone YOU particualy like, it means that the large majority of the citizens think it would be good for the countries. that happens to ALOT of people every year, then for the entire year of that president being a president, we hear them moan how bad the current pres. is, and how theres would be so much better. these are to pick the BEST president. the one that would help the country the most, and do the most good. not the one YOU think would be best.
Mila

Pro

Mila forfeited this round.
lloxit

Con

lloxit forfeited this round.
Mila

Pro

lloxit

Con

lloxit forfeited this round.
Mila

Pro

Mila forfeited this round.
lloxit

Con

lloxit forfeited this round.
Mila

Pro

Mila forfeited this round.
Posted by Vi_Veri 9 years ago
Vi_Veri
This debate sounds VERY familiar :)
Posted by lloxit 9 years ago
lloxit
Vote Placed by dkerwi8993 9 years ago
dkerwi8993
lloxitMilaTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
lloxitMilaTied
Vote Placed by youseeovermyhead 9 years ago
youseeovermyhead
lloxitMilaTied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
lloxitMilaTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 9 years ago
Vi_Veri
lloxitMilaTied