Resolved: The USFG Should Act to Close the Gender Wage Gap

JimShady has forfeited round #2.

Hello! I saw your post on this opinion ( and thought that this would make an interesting debate, should you accept it.

USFG: United States Federal Government (specifically the legislative and executive branches)

Gender Wage Gap: The difference between the amounts of money paid to women and men, often for doing the same work: (

First round is acceptance only if you accept this challenge.

Yes, I accept your challenge. I think this will be fun. Good luck.
Here's a few of my definitions that I think will come in handy:

work (noun): the labor, task, or duty that is one's accustomed means of livelihood [1]

money (noun): something (such as coins or bills) used as a way to pay for goods and services and to pay people for their work [2]

cheeseburger (noun): a hamburger with a piece of cheese on top of the meat [3]

*All of these definitions are from . Just type in the word and the definition is there.

I would first of all like to thank JimShady for accepting this debate.

1. Wage Discrepancy

I thought it might be useful to first prove the severity of this institutionalized discrimination.

"Some argue that the wage gap is purely due to 'women's choices,' but such a characterization hides the cultural and social factors that go into women's decisions to enter or stay in a particular job. Moreover, even when women choose the same jobs as men, the wage gap persists... male surgeons earn 37.76 percent more per week than their female counterparts. In real terms, this means that a female surgeon earns $756 less per week than her male colleague, which adds up to nearly $40,000 over the course of a year." [1] We all know that a woman makes 78 cents to a man's dollar [2], but you say that thed gender gap disappears when you take into account whether or not men and women are working the same jobs. This is not so. For example, the Journal of the American Medical Association conducted a study that concluded, "Gender differences in salary exist in this select, homogeneous cohort of mid-career academic physicians, even after adjustment for differences in specialty, institutional characteristics, academic productivity, academic rank, work hours, and other factors."[3] Thus, your claim that " do the hard work and labor. And hard labor usually means more money" is simply untrue.

The National Women's Law Center published a report in 2014 that said, "Women with only a high school degree are 24 percent of the low-wage workforce, double theirshare of the overall workforce (12 percent). Men with only a high school degree are underrepresented in the low-wage workforce: they are 12 percent of the low-wage workforce, 0.8 times their share of the overall workforce (15 percent)." [4] This means that women need more education than men simply to acheive equal pay. As the Washington Post puts it, "Men in the United States...require less education to achieve higher pay." [5]

I was planning to include several more arguments, but I am running out of time as I am going to be out of town for a few days. I will add more arguments in further rounds as necessary. I believe I have proven that the severity of discrimination is sufficient to warrant legislative action.

Good luck with your opening arguments!

Posted by JimShady 2 months ago
Sorry, read Private message. I sincerely apologize, I just don't have time, what with school starting.
Posted by Tree_of_Death 2 months ago
Stupid forfeit glitch. If you are still interested, I can reset this debate. PM me if you are.
Posted by Tree_of_Death 2 months ago
Well done. :)
Posted by JimShady 2 months ago
In case there is a side discussion about food.
Posted by Tree_of_Death 2 months ago
Why did you define cheeseburger?