Resolved: The United States Federal Government Should Legalize Medical Marijuana.

If you wish to accept, please apply in the comments section.

4 rounds, 10k characters and open voting with a minimum ELO of 1,500.

[1] Medical Marijuana- Marijuana used to relieve pain and treat disease.

[2] Legal/ Legalize- actions or conditions that are permitted or authorized by law.

Round 1: Con's rules and TOU while Pro accepts.
Round 2: Opening Arguments, NO Rebuttals.
Round 3: Rebuttals.
Round 4: Rebuttals and conclusion.

No Semantics
No trolling
No profanity

1. (
2. (

Thenk you lannan for starting this debate, and challenging me to it. I look foward to a great debate. Goodluck!

Thank you for accepting my debate, now let's begin.

Contention 1: Ease of Access

It is truely easy to acquire Medical Marijuana in America. For the number one example I'll give you our Bluest State in California as an example. Journalist Adam Brown reviewed California's law and revealed that in California and several other states, including DC, that you could be prescribed medical marijuana if, "you have a debilitating condition like "general pain" or "mild depression" or "unspecified symptom syndrome." [1] We can see that this isn't a black market issue and it's a sugar coated way of legalization of marijuana for the general public without officially doing it. I mean let's alll be honnest here. We've all suffered from some sort of "general pain" in our life time, does that mean that we should all get Medical Marijuana? It's simply wrong and we can see that this is a close connection to Brave New World's Soma. The fact is that many Medical Marijuana advocates would argue that it's mainly used for cancern, but if we observe Colorado we can see that over the majority of the people perscribed Medical Marijuana isn't cancer related and is something perposterous that wouldn't even get a person any type of perscription medicine. [2]

We can plainly see that we cannot continue with further legalization of Medical marijuana until we see major reform here, so that the above attrocities are corrected.

Contention 2: Safety Concerns

There are several safety concerns surrounding Medical Marijuana. Like first one can see that Medical Marijuana involves the chemical THC which has been found due to a recent study to increase the rate of brain tumors. [3] They have found that the THC in Canibas slows the bodies anti-tumor responses to a near stop allowing tumors to increase and become more previlent. Many studies show that THC can slow down tumors, but when it is mixed with cannibas and not soley THC injected into the body we can see that it has the oppoisite effect. UK cancer institute director Lesly Walker has found that contrary to popular belief that "It absolutely isn't the case that men might be able to fight prostate cancer by smoking cannabis," [4]

Another study showed that smoking 1 joint increases the percentage that one could get Lung Cancer by 8% and that smoking 3 joints is the equivlence of smoking 20 cigarettes. [5] Other studies have shown to cause many other mental disorders like Skizofrania [6], panic attacks/aniexty [7], and after smoking the joint it increases the rate of a heart attack by 5 times! [8]

We can simply see that these risks are way to much and especially for that of Medical Marijuana being used the way that we've seen it be used and the ease of access being way to much we can simply see that these side effects are not worth a tiny bit of being high because of your "pain."

1. (
2. (
3. (
4. (
5. (
6. (
7. (
8. (

This round dosen't call for rebuttals, so I will now state my case.

Resolved: The United States Federal Government should legalize Medical Marijuana.

As Pro, I will be giving the voters substantial arguments and proof that Medical Marijuana does more good than bad. In my argument, we will not only look at the medical aspect, but how Medical Marijuana helps the economy.

C.1 Health Benefits of Medical Marijuana

There are many ill and terminally ill people in this world. Allot of them suffer due to the lack of money to buy proper medication in which they need, because prescriptions can be pretty costly. As stated in my definition of Medical Marijuana (Marijuana used to relieve pain and treat disease.) It has been proven that Medical Marijuana can relieve pain.

Chronic Nerve Pain

According to WebMD (A medical website)A Canadian team has found that [1] " Three puffs a day of cannabis, better known as marijuana, helps people with chronic nerve pain due to injury or surgery feel less pain and sleep better" You are probably thinking this may be some made up scenario, but it's not. According to Mare Ware a M.D, he states [1] "About 10% to 15% of patients attending a chronic pain clinic use cannabis as part of their pain [control] strategy" Not only did he give us this information, but he also conducted a test on 21 men & women (average age 45) who suffer from chronic pain. He found that:

[1] After each of the five-day trials, participants rated their pain on a scale of zero to 10, with 10 being the worst.

The highest dose, 9.4%, provided relief, Ware says. "They reduced their pain down to 5.4," Ware says. "Those on placebo were at 6.1."

Although that difference may seem modest, 'any reduction in pain is important," Ware says.

The concentration of 9.4%, Ware says, is lower than that found in marijuana on the street. "On the street, it's 10% to 15% THC, more or less," he says.

"We've shown again that cannabis is analgesic," Ware says. "Clearly, it has medical value."

Side effects were reported, including headache, dry eyes, numbness, cough, and a burning sensation in the area with pain.

The cannabis relieves pain, Ware says, by 'changing the way the nerves function."

As you can read by the definition, Medical Marijuana can be used to relieve pain. Here is proof that is does actually lessen the pain with those who suffer chronic nerve pain.

Medical Marijuana has also been proven to either 1. Cure some types of cancer 2.Slow down the caner or 3.Relive pain and nausea caused by chemotherapy. Don't just take my word for it though. According to, Medical Marijuana is actually beneficial and helpful to cancer patients.

[2] There are 2 chemically pure drugs based on marijuana compounds that have been approved in the US for medical use.

Dronabinol (Marinol®)" is a gelatin capsule containing delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that’s approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy as well as weight loss and poor appetite in patients with AIDS......Based on a number of studies, dronabinol can be helpful for reducing nausea and vomiting linked to chemotherapy."

"Dronabinol has also been found to help improve food intake and prevent weight loss in patients with HIV. In studies of cancer patients, though, it wasn’t better than placebo or another drug (megestrol acetate)."

"Nabiximols has shown promise for helping people with cancer pain that’s unrelieved by strong pain medicines, but it hasn’t been found to be helpful in every study done. Research is still being done on this drug."

As you can see, Medical Marijuana helps reduce symptoms of cancer. We all know that chemotherapy is a dreadful process and tends to make the patient even sicker. Medical Marijuana can only help these people who suffer with these symptoms, so what's the harm in that?

[2] So, how can How can marijuana affect symptoms of cancer?

"A number of small studies of smoked marijuana found that it can be helpful in treating nausea and vomiting from cancer chemotherapy."

"A few studies have found that inhaled (smoked or vaporized) marijuana can be helpful treatment of neuropathic pain (pain caused by damaged nerves)."

"Smoked marijuana has also helped improve food intake in HIV patients in studies."

"There are no studies in people of the effects of marijuana oil or hemp oil."

"Studies have long shown that people who took marijuana extracts in clinical trials tended to need less pain medicine."

"More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids such as CBD slow growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in laboratory dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer. "

So why shouldn't we legalize it when it's been shown to comfort people with deadly diseases? I mean even the Cancer foundation even recognizes it as a humongous help because it can kill cancer, slow it down, and most importantly, comfort and relive pain of the patient.

Now that we have focused some on the medical aspects, let's take a look at how Medical Marijuana can boost the economy.

How Medical Marijuana is beneficial to the economy.

So, it may be hard to believe, but Medical Marijuana can help and boost the economy.

-Increase Revenues Without Tax Increases-

"Cannabis is a $25+ billion dollar industry. Currently, all of those revenues go directly to cartels and criminal gangs. Through regulation and taxation, we can transform these black market billions into taxable revenues. This new income can bolster our state economy without raising taxes on main street."

Decrease Government Spending

"Cannabis prohibition is expensive. Harvard economist, Jeffrey Miron, estimates that state and federal governments spend an excess of $20 billion per year fighting this little green plant. Much of this cost comes from burdening our justice system, wasting law enforcement’s time, and using $125/day of taxpayer money incarcerating cannabis offenders. To add insult to injury, these efforts continue to fail as cannabis is more available than ever before."

Fortify Infrastructure and Social Programs

"Applying the increased revenues with the decreased expenses caused by medical cannabis legalization yields a net gain in the billions. This ‘new’ money can be used to fortify our many distressed and underfunded public works programs like the lagging education system, build new roads that reduce traffic and increase Social Security and Medicare benefits for our seniors."

Weaken Criminal Organizations

"How do gangs and cartels have the same weapons that our military uses? Why do drug dealers drive $100,000 cars?

Because selling illicit drugs is a wildly lucrative and untaxed business.

Legalizing and regulating medical cannabis will take this profit center away from murderous criminals and transfer it to licensed and regulated businesses. By taking these revenues from organized crime, we can significantly weaken them financially. Additionally, we will be able to control how and to whom medical cannabis is dispensed by setting responsible standards to which businesses must adhere.

Liquor stores ID customers, drug dealers do not."

As you can see, legalizing Medical Marijuana will not only help those who suffer from illness, but it also helps boost the economy. It's quiet clear that the positive, outweighs the harm.

Unfortunately I'm out of time and will be gone Friday-Sunday, so I'm going to have to forfeit this round. I deeply appologize.

I ask the voters not to hold ff against my opponent. This round calls for rebuttals, so that is what I will do now.

Rebuttal #1 "Ease of Access"

First, my opponent argues "Ease of Access". He basically argues that by legalizing Medical Marijuana, people will be able to have easier access and use it for their problems such as depression. We all know that are more dangerous drugs out there that can easily kill people. These dangerous drugs are used more on the street because 1. They treat or give you an immediate high and 2.Easier access. Some off these dangerous drugs are:

Acetyl Fentanyl

Vitamin K” or “Special K”

These are just a few very dangerous street drugs. If you read about these drugs here ( You will see that Marijuana is not on here.

You may be thinking, what does this have to do with ease of access? Well, as you can see, there are allot more deadlier drugs that are on the street now that can kill people much easier and faster. Even if people did have easy access, it wouldn't hurt them. According to leaf science [2] While prescription painkillers cause thousands of overdose deaths each year, no one has ever died from a marijuana overdose. Again, as my argument is the previous round have proved, Medical Marijuana has been proved to ease pain and help with illness, what's the danger in that? The only thing it could possibly to while using recreation is to ease pain.

Rebuttal #2 "Safety Concerns"

There is not much to rebut here because my previous argument had to do with doctors using Medical Marijuana to slow down cancer and to each other. My opponent argues that Medical Marijuana only makes cancer worse, when in fact , that isn't the case if you read my argument in R2. My opponent brings up lung cancer and other cancers and how Medical Marijuana can increase this. This is all just a hoax. According to "Patients for Medical Cannabis" [3] THC has been found to reduce tumor growth in common lung cancer by 50 percent and to significantly reduce the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University, who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies. The researchers suggest that THC might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer. (study)"

As you can read here, it doesn't increase any type of cancers. Medical Marijuana is already legalized in 23 states. If it really worsened conditions, do you think doctors would still be using it? If they would have found that it makes cancer grow more quickly and more aggressively, they would quit using it. But instead they continue to use it and preach of it because it is so effective.

Since my opponent wasn't able to rebut my points in this round , I'll stop here. That seems fair enough.

lannan13 forfeited this round.

Feed back would be appreciated though. Just please, don't vote :)
Posted by lannan13 3 months ago
Heads up?
Posted by Emmarie 3 months ago
Thanks for the heads up bro :)
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Sorry for posting my argument so quick, I already had half of it written out when you posted your argument.
Posted by Finalfan 1 year ago
@lee001 haha I know. It was suppose to be funny! I'm interested in reading your argument! This is a tough subject because I have never heard a legitimate argument for marijuana prohibition that didn't make me do a face palm! This topic is a little different! Medical Marijuana is a tough subject and I look forward to this debate!
Posted by Finalfan 1 year ago
O.K. I really don't want this debate! I would argue that marijuana should be legal on a Federal level! Medical marijuana is kind of a joke! Although there are some conditions that Marijuana is the only recommended course of action. In most cases it is just a loop hole in the system for recreational smokers to get high with a "prescription"
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago

Are you obsessed or something? I never FF Plus, I believe I can win this one, so chill.
Posted by Finalfan 1 year ago
Lee001: You better knock this one out of the park! If you forfeit I will be mad... Darn you! I want this debate!!! AHHH!!! O.K. I will trust you with this! Mini freak out.. Sorry! lol
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
I should post tomorrow.
Posted by Finalfan 1 year ago
I can't wait to see lannan13's opening argument!
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
I will gladly take this up should no one else want it. Message me if you do.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Can't stop me from voting!!!!