NateTheFirst
GoOrDin

Resolved: The United States should incrementally raise the federal minimum wage to at least $15/hr

Started: 10/17/2015 Category: Economics

NateTheFirst

Con

Rules:
1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or sources must be used within the character limit of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. Maintain a civil and decorous atmosphere
5. No trolling or semantics
6. No K's of the topic
7. My opponent accepts all of the following definitions and waives his/her right to challenge these definitions
8. The BOP is shared
9. Both debaters must follow this format:
R1: Acceptance
R2: Arguments (No rebuttals)
R3: Rebuttals and arguments
R4: Rebuttals and arguments
R5: Conclusions (No new arguments or rebuttals in this round)
10. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss of a conduct point and due to the severity of the breach may merit an entire forfeit of the debate

Definition of minimum wage: Minimum wage definition (From Merriam Webster: "An amount of money that is the least amount of money per hour that workers must be paid according to the law"
Source: (http://www.merriam-webster.com......)
Thank you and good luck.
GoOrDin

Pro

this is a serious debate with mature content

I, will be debating as CON, [as discussed in the Comments]

as if to say, MINIMUM wage SHOULD NOT BE $15.00per/hr or higher.

I will be discussing this debate considering economics & ethics - as well as the environment for Bonus-points apart from my debate platform (ethics and economics).

I would like to thanks NateTheFirst for accepting me in this debate.

I have hated high minimum wages since I was working fro $19per/hour entry level labourer in grade 11. as well as the various other worksites I have been on in mills, and in the general workforce. This will eb a delight to express myself out of gunsfire.
NateTheFirst

Con

As my opponent said in his first round, we're switching sides. I am pro and he is con. So when voting, give con the points you mean to give to pro, and give pro the points you want to give to con. With that said, I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting the debate and I'll start giving my contentions:

Collins English Dictionary defines a living wage as "a wage adequate to permit a wage earner to live and support a family in reasonable comfort." The current minimum wage of 7.25/hr is not high enough to support most people, let alone an entire family. This is simply demonstrating a lack of respect for those earning the minimum wage and is one of the main causes of poverty. By incrementally raising the minimum wage, not only will it lift hundreds of thousands of Americans out of poverty, but it will also stimulate economic growth. For these reasons, I affirm this resolution.

Contention 1

The federal minimum wage cannot economically support a person.

Subpoint A

The minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. According to research from the Pew Research Center found in an article written by senior writer, Drew DeSilver, published on July 23, 2015, the minimum wage peaked in 1968 at $8.54 per hour in 2014 dollars. Due to inflation, the minimum wage has lost about 8.1% of it's purchasing power. Clearly it is time for a change in the minimum wage considering how much purchasing power has been lost due to the rising cost of living.

Subpoint B

Increasing the minimum wage will decrease poverty rates. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services determined that for 2015 the poverty line is $15,930 per year for a family of two, $20,090 per year for a family of three, and $24,250 per year for a family of four. According to the article "Minimum Wage: Who Makes it?" by economist Jared Bernstein, a senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priority and writer for the New York Times, 2014, 27% of minimum wage workers have children. An adult who earns the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour and works 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, make $15,080 per year. This is below the poverty line for families of two or more, and leaves the families supported by this wage in a state of financial instability and disparity. According to the article "RETAIL'S HIDDEN POTENTIAL: HOW RAISING MINIMUM WAGE WOULD BENEFIT WORKERS, THE INDUSTRY AND THE OVERALL ECONOMY." by Catherine Reutschlin, a visiting professor at the Department of Economics at UMKC and writer for Demos.org, over 1 million retail workers and their families live in or near poverty. And if the federal minimum wage becomes a living wage, more than 700,000 Americans would be lifted out of poverty.

Contention 2

The government has the moral obligation to protect its workers.

http://www.aflcio.org...
Subpoint A

The government has a moral obligation to keep its employees in a good economic, mental and physical state. A study conducted by the International Centre for Health and Society in June 2003 found that those receiving a low income are more likely to be in a poor state of mental health. The same research found that poverty increases the risk of poor mental health. Physical health is also affected by low income, as those receiving a low income often have poor access to healthcare. An increase the minimum wage will improve the wellbeing of those earning this wage, by improving their financial state it will enhance opportunities to improve their physical and mental health. It also enhances the mental state of their children, which could potentially break the cycle of poverty in that family.

Subpoint B

Those working full time should not be in poverty. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics found that in 2011, 3.8 million workers, mostly adults, earned the federal minimum wage of $7.25. By working full time with a minimum wage job, one would earn $15,080 per year, which is less than the federal poverty line of $15,130 per year. Jared Bernstein of the New York Times stated in 2014 that 54% of minimum wage workers are working full time. As stated earlier, poverty is a contributing factor to mental illness. Those working full time should be ensured a living wage and should not be in such a poor financial state.

Contention 3

Raising the minimum wage will be an economic stimulus.

Subpoint A

An increase in the minimum wage will lead to increase in spending. If people are making more
money, they will obviously be spending more money. For example, a family who is now making a sustainable wage will be able to buy more clothes, go out to eat, or have more toys for their children. A 2009 Goldman Sachs report confirmed this argument by finding that increasing income of those receiving low wages has a much larger effect on economic growth than increasing the income of those receiving higher wages. According to the same article by Catherine Reutschlin cited earlier, families living at or near poverty spend close to 100 percent of their income on basic necessities, and when they are given an increase in pay, they will spend it on goods and services that were previously out of reach. This increase in spending will cause the economy to grow, and create about 100,000 jobs.

Subpoint B

An increase in spending will lead to an increase in jobs. If people are investing more money in businesses and these business are growing, then there will be an increased demand for employment. According to David Cooper of the Economic Policy Institute, who earned Earned his Master's degree in Public Policy from Georgetown University and Bachelor's degree in English and Government from Georgetown University, October 16, 2014 "By increasing workers' take home pay, families gain both financial security and an increased ability to purchase goods and services, thus creating more jobs for other Americans". There is also evidence that shows how raising the minimum wage has already affected employment rates. At the beginning of 2014, thirteen states raised the minimum wage. Research from a Goldman Sachs Report and the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2014 found that the states that increased the minimum wage had faster employment growth than the states where the minimum wage remained the same. The average change in employment of states that raised the minimum wage was 0.99%, and only 0.68% in states that did not increase the minimum wage.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, the current minimum wage is far from a living wage and is not suitable to support a person due to the cost of living. Although raising the minimum wage will not come without challenges, there will be many positive impacts, aside from the fact that people will now be able to support themselves. An increase in minimum wage could contribute to improving the wellbeing of people earning this wage. It will also be an economic stimulus due to an increase in spending, this will benefit our economy and job market. For these reasons, we urge you to affirm the resolution Resolved: The United States should incrementally raise the federal minimum wage to at least $15 per hour by 2020.

Thank You!
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
NateTheFirst

Con

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.
GoOrDin

Pro

increasing minimum wage increases pay increments for:

lazy men,
disrespectful men,
womanizers,
drug addicts,
perverts,
corrupt people,
criminals,

and creates a false sense of social security (equality),

as well as being a means of syphoning more off the working class, poverty level countries, etc..

increasing wages does not increase the abundance of resources (food, water, medicine, fuel, etc..)

Increasing minimum wages is detrimental to employers capacities to expand and pay insurance.
They demean the value of the current wages, WHICH
$10 dollars can be used to feed 10 Malaysians. Most people have zero appreciation for the value of money.

Minimum wage should not be increased, as to, appose slothenly youths, drunkards, womanizers, and promote a lifestyle of in-subordinance (lacking responsibility.)
NateTheFirst

Con

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
I've been so depressed. I just kinda been dodging this debate.. but honestly. I am not getting the alerts.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
I wont reply immediately.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
sh*t. nvr noticed.
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
On mobile, meant rather than the comments
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
My request is that you post that in the debate sectioned there than the comments so I can post my round
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
ahahahahahha. I win.
I, will be debating as CON,

I would like to thanks NateTheFirst for accepting me in this debate,
as I await any requests regarding my first post.
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
If you post "I accept" either you can say we're switching positions in your round or I can in mine, idc.
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
Well I am a 15 year old living in the suburbs with no job who is currently prepping for the debate on this topic in about a week.
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
Aff= affirmative/pro
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
I'm 25 and unemployed** I can never be pro for a high minimum wage. I've worked $19 an hour telling my boss I should get $11-12 instead.