NewLifeChristian
Sgt4Liberty

Resolved: The Use of Marijuana for Recreational Purposes Should Be Prohibited

NewLifeChristian

NewLifeChristian

Pro

Rules:

1) Do not troll, please debate appropriately.

2) Have proper debate etiquette (e.g. use proper grammar, capitalization, etc.).

3) Do not use fake or satire sources. (A list of fake and satire websites can be found here: www.snopes.com/2016/01/14/fake-news-sites/)

4) Arguments must be submmited within a 72 hour period.

5) Arguments must contain 10,000 or less characters.

Layout:

First round is acceptance.

Second round is your first argument.

Third round is rebuttals.

The last round is why you did better than your opponent.

Definition(s):

Marijuana - "the dried leaves and flowers of the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa)."

I (Pro) argue that the use of marijuana for recreational purposes should be prohibited.

My opponent (Con) argues that the use of marijuan for recreational purposes should not be prohibited.

Let the debate begin, and good luck to my opponent.
Sgt4Liberty

Con

I accept the challenge!

I can't guarantee that I won't use satire photos in my signature block!! (I won't use it as factual information though).
NewLifeChristian

Pro

Introduction

Before I begin, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting the debate challenge and am looking forward to their contributions. I will begin my first argument by discussing the negative effects of cannabis on its users. With this being said, I wish the best of luck to my opponent and am glad to actually be doing this debate.

The Dangers of Marijuana on Its Users

Marijuana has a variety harmful effects on its users. In this part of my argument, I will discuss the short- and long-term effects of using this drug.

Some of the short-term effects of using marijuana include, but are not limited to, the "high" feeling, altered senses (e.g. seeing brighter colors), an altered sense of time, mood-swings, impaired body movement, difficulty with thinking and solving problems, and impaired memory.[1] Also, let it be known that hallucinations and anxiety/panic attacks can occur with short-term usage of marijuana if the dosage is high enough.[2]

Some of the long-term effects of using marijuana include, but are not limited to, suppression of the immune system, reduction of male sex hormones, destruction of lung fibers and permanent brain damage, reduced sexual capacity, and severe mood-swings.[3]

Clearly marijuana is too dangerous of a drug to be legalized for recreational purposes. Its effects can be long-lasting and severe.

The Dangers of Marijuana on Others

According to researchers at Columbia University, marijuana has contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010.[4] In addition to this, according to Russia Today, marijuana-related deaths, school suspensions, traffic incidents, and poisonings have spiked in Colorado (a state which legalized the drug back in 2012).[5]

Once again, we clearly should not legalized cannabis. It has been shown that legalizing marijuana for recreational purposes causes a spike in crime, traffic incidents, school suspensions, and more.

Legalizing Marijuana for Recreational Purposes Has Failed in the Past

I believe, the marijuana debate all boils down to one city: Amsterdam, Netherlands. This city is a popular tourist attraction (especially for marijuana-users), but has definitely seen better days before legalizing the drug. According to the Daily Mail, schools have been forced to ban smoking pot because there have been a significant number of students showing up to school high.[6] In addition, Amsterdam has seen higher crime near the coffeehouses which sell pot.[7]

I conclude in this first argument that marijuana is too dangerous for recreational purposes for three main reasons: it is harmful to its users, it's harmful to others, and legalizing it has not worked in the past.

Footnotes

1. "Marijuana." DrugFacts:. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.

2. "Short and Long Term Effects." Of Marijuana. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2016.

3. "Short- & Long-Term Effects of Marijuana - Negative Side Effects of Weed - Drug-Free World." Short- & Long-Term Effects of Marijuana - Negative Side Effects of Weed - Drug-Free World. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

4. Schmitz, Matt, Cars.com Chris Woodyard, and Usa Today. "Marijuana Playing Larger Role in Fatal Crashes." USA Today. Gannett, 09 June 2014. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

5. "Marijuana-related Deaths, Suspensions & Problems Spike in Colorado – Report." RT International. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.

6. http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

7. http://rightwingnews.com...

Sgt4Liberty

Con

Sgt4Liberty forfeited this round.
NewLifeChristian

Pro

Extend all arguments. Thank you. If need be, I'll start a new debate and cancel this one.
Sgt4Liberty

Con

Sgt4Liberty forfeited this round.
NewLifeChristian

Pro

My opponent has forfeited again. Please vote "Pro"! Thank you.
Sgt4Liberty

Con

Sgt4Liberty forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 11 months ago
tajshar2k
NewLifeChristianSgt4LibertyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. I also read his arguments, and they were far more convincing since Con didn't actually give any or provide sources.
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
NewLifeChristianSgt4LibertyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by JustAnotherFloridaGuy 11 months ago
JustAnotherFloridaGuy
NewLifeChristianSgt4LibertyTied