ColorodoKoolAid
Dujec

Resolved: The police should be privatized

Argument Due
We are waiting for Dujec to post argument for round #2. If you are Dujec, login to see your options.
01day11hours57minutes12seconds
Updated: 1 day ago Status: Debating Period

ColorodoKoolAid

Pro

Police services should be private for the same reason that health care, food production, and housing should be private; it is more efficient. When firms operate for profit they are incentivized to satisfy consumers' preferences quickly, cheaply, and efficiently. If they fail to satisfy consumers, they will quickly cease to exist. Examples of these incentives are evident in our everyday lives. If I order something from Amazon and it gets lost in the mail, they will send me a new item with no questions asked. If I have a dispute with the IRS, even if its their fault, the process will be a nightmare. Amazon will bend over backwards to keep my business. What incentive does the IRS have to be helpful in the least? When the government provides a service, they will generally establish a monopoly. Thus, it does not have to fear competition.

This is as true for the police as it is for any other facet of government. If someone is breaking in my house and I call the police, what is their incentive to get to my house quickly and stop the intruder efficiently? Altruism? If the intruder murders me and my family, the police station won't lose a dime. If anything, they will say that if they had more funding it wouldn't have happened.

Imagine what private police firms would look like. They could be licensed by the government to uphold the law. Individuals and businesses would hire firms, much like security guards now, to protect their property. Subdivisions could have a small force that everyone contributes to. These firms would probably make it a point to check on every one of their customer's properties periodically. You could let them know when you'll be out of town. They would probably keep at least one officer within 5-10 minutes of every house. If the firm had a good reputation, they would gain customers and make more money. If they didn't, they would go out of business. Firms would probably insure their customers in cases of robbery. If they are unable to stop the robbery or recover the stolen items they would pay out. Although this is all speculation, private firms would at least have the incentive to go above and beyond where the government does not.

Another important benefit of private police is that violent crimes would take top priority. A private firm would have no monetary incentive to harass people over victimless crimes like drug use, prostitution, or gambling. They would be focused exclusively on the safety and satisfaction of their customers. This means that policemen would spend their time catching murderers, rapists, and thieves rather than sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun.

Lastly, examine the behavior of a police officers as opposed to a private sector employee. Go on youtube and you can watch an endless supply of videos of police acting with completely unnecessary aggression.
- A policewoman dumping a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair
- A policeman throwing a flashbang into a babies crib
- Many policeman killing dogs who posed no legitimate threat
All of these actions would be unthinkable in the private sector. If a Walmart employee dumped a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair he/she would be fired immediately and Walmart would be sued. When its a police officer they "launch an investigation"; and good luck suing the police. To my knowledge, FedEx and UPS drivers arent known for shooting up peoples pets when they come to the door. Private firms are much more likely to treat people with dignity, lest they lose business and money in lawsuits.

In conclusion, private police forces would be forced to cater directly to their constomer's needs. This means that they would provide a higher level of safety, they would waste less resources in doing so, and they would be forced to act like public servants and not bullies.
Dujec

Con

ColorodoKoolAid

Pro

Good luck.
Posted by ColorodoKoolAid 22 hours ago
ColorodoKoolAid
Not sure how that relates to this debate. But yes, "we" put alot of people in jail. About half are there for drug crimes; a problem that private police would virtually eliminate.
Posted by canis 23 hours ago
canis
I am not from the US..But it seeems "you" put most of the popolation in jail.."Somebody" has to make some $$$ fore it to make sense.
Posted by Dujec 1 day ago
Dujec
Oh, you're sticking with your opener. GL to you to then.
Posted by ColorodoKoolAid 1 day ago
ColorodoKoolAid
Should be easy then.
Posted by Overnight 1 day ago
Overnight
A lot of logical flaws in this argument. I'll consider.