kingoftroy181
randolph7

Resolved: Title IX is a positive influence on ncaa sports

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 8/5/2011 Category: Sports

kingoftroy181

Con

Title IX has had a negative effect on ncaa sports as it has increased participation in sports with less overall profits, and interests, while decreases allowance of sports with greater participation. Examples are increased scholarships in Women's rowing versus a loss in Men's Hockey which has a tournament that makes money. Furthermore, Title IX supports a system that is not paralleled in anyway in the real world. An example being division of men and women that is not paralleled in the workplace.
randolph7

Pro

Thank you for posting this debate. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Title IX is an overall positive influence on NCAA sports. While some men's programs have been cut (which is not the Act's intent) others have been added. I fail to see how the law determines which programs or cut or added -- that's the University's job. If as you claim they cut profitable clubs then that's the University administrations stupidity not the law's. According, to a GAO report in 2011, men’s intercollegiate athletic participation rose from approximately 220,000 in 1981-82 to approximately 232,000 in 1998-99. Between 1981-82 and 1998-99, football participation increased by 7,199, more than offsetting wrestling’s loss of 2,648 participants, outdoor track’s loss of 1,706 participants, tennis’s loss of 1,405 participants, and gymnastics’ loss of 1,022 participants[1].

Source:
[1] http://www.gao.gov...
kingoftroy181

Con

kingoftroy181 forfeited this round.
randolph7

Pro

I extend all arguments to the next round.
kingoftroy181

Con

sorry computer crash, so we can see if the newbie, new to me, is lucky.

I feel we should not treat sports any different than any other work place. I am refering to gender segregation. If women are good enough they can play with the men. We don't allow racial segregation among sports. We don't even allow height and weight classes which is what I believe are principle arguements that are men are bigger and stronger. yet a 6-3 250 athlete is not segregated from a 5-4 135 athlete. I also believe that more men play high school sports. I believe that it is unfair to keep title IX as is therefore I offer the following counterplan. Plan Plank 1 raise the minimum of 13 sports to 24 sports allowing for not only more sports for men, but also for women Plan Plank 2 make title IX a truly gender equal law make athletic funding based on their states' high school sport participation rather than student population. My sources are USHAA, and NCAA.
randolph7

Pro

Title IX does not decrease participation in men's NCAA sports which makes Title IX fair to both sexes. If Title IX wasn't fair to both sexes it would be a negative influence on NCAA sports. My previous post actually showed men's participation rising after the enactment of Title IX. Con's plan might or might not work but it fails to show how Title IX is not a positive influence on NCAA sports or how it is better than the current situation.

Con's personal feelings that sports shouldn't be treated any different than any other work place ignore the unique work environment that sports have. Since NCAA is education associated it is in the unique position of having to be regulated by educational laws such as Title IX to prevent discrimination and encourage educational goals such as promoting health, following rules and so forth.

Thank you for the discussion. I look forward to your reply.
kingoftroy181

Con

kingoftroy181 forfeited this round.
randolph7

Pro

kingoftroy181

Con

kingoftroy181 forfeited this round.
randolph7

Pro

Con's feelings that Title IX isn't fair to men aside, men's participation has risen after Title IX. Title IX has increased participation in both men and female sports and fostered education goals such as promoting health, following rules, etc. Title IX goes to the fundamental fairness in sports and allows women who might otherwise not participate in sports the same opportunities as men. Also, the diversity of sports has ballooned since Title IX was enacted. Title IX is a positive influence on NCAA sports.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this opportunity to debate him.
Posted by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
Please provide direct cites. Saying your source is NCAA is meaningless. For examples see my source citation and check out other debates' citations.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 5 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
That's why he's Con?
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
How can Title 9 have a positive influence NCAA sports in general? Even Con's arguments against Title 9 didn't support the resolution as it's currently worded.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
kingoftroy181randolph7Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
kingoftroy181randolph7Tied
Reasons for voting decision: A ragged debate. Neither side made it clear what they were claiming about Title 9 and what they thought was "positive." I think Con had the burden of proof because he instigated and made the claim of negative effect. He didn't make the case. Con's multiple forfeits lost conduct. Pro had the only source, with numbers supporting his case.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
kingoftroy181randolph7Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit