lannan13
happy-bread

Resolved: U.S. Birthright Citizenship should be abolished

Started: 2/1/2012 Category: News

lannan13

Con

Should U.S. citizenship be banned till age 18
I'll be saying that we shouldn't get rid of U.S. citizenship
1st acceptance
2-4 world war 5
5. why in the world did you think you won
No prophanity
No racisism
If any of these rules are violated than all 7 points go to the other person.
lannan13

Con

(Forgive me if I seem bad at this I'm going out this Friday to Emporia and I need pratice.)
1. 14th Amendment protects birthright citizenship. You abolish this law you reintroduce slavery.
2. There have been many court case on this and all have been won for the citizen (sorry bussy right now so if you could read this http://en.wikipedia.org...)
3. No Citizenship means the Constitution Rights, which will lead to people thinking that the government doesn't care for them and establishes a hatered that leads to an anarchy or communist take over.
4. What do we do with the Americans that don't want to take this test, or fail it.
5. Pro will probably say it will stop Illegal immigrants from using their child as an ancor to get into the U.S., and that my friends is just being plane rascist.
happy-bread

Pro

happy-bread forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

points extended
happy-bread

Pro

Sorry about that I was super busy last week. Anyways...

1) Illegal immigrant children are a financial burden on the United States. In California alone, it costs $1.7 billion dollars for education benefits and $3.3 billion for welfare benefits. This money is not going to the children solely however, many of the healthcare and welfare benefits are going to the illegal immigration parents. Therefore, the U.S. is rewarding people by giving them money for breaking our laws.

2) Immigration would decrease if birthright citizenship was abolished. Natalie Smith of the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal says "By removing this incentive to illegal immigration, the amount of illegal immigration would decrease. The guarantee of citizenship to their children is a substantial, if not a motivating, factor in provoking illegal aliens to violate the sovereignty of the United States. It only follows that a decrease in illegal immigration would result from the removal of this incentive."

And now to attack my opponent's case
1)He says that birthright citizenship is protected by the 14th amendment and that if we abolished it, we would reintroduce slavery. This is a slippery-slope fallacy and also the 13th, not the 14th amendment prevents slavery.

2) He says there have been supreme court cases that protect birthright citizenship, but none of these apply to illegal immigrants they have all been about legal immigrants.

3) Again, another slippery slope fallacy. Also, no birthright citizenship doesn't mean no citizenship at all.

4) This argument is based on the assumption that we will have to take a test if we abolish birthright citizenship.

5) This isn't an argument. If I did use that argumnt and used evidence it wouldn't be racism, it would be an educated opinion about the motives of illegal immigrants.

I would also like to point out that my opponent didn't use evidence or even logic to support his claims.
lannan13

Con

1. Illegals parents are deported.
2. Uhm... helo there is a drug war in Mexico and according to CNN it has left 1/5 of the population in poverty. whcih means there will be millions flocking toward the border to seek saftey.
4. That is the status quo that you must take a test to become a citizen and guess what it costs $567 to take the test and I'm sure most of the people flocking toward the border and U.S. citizens don't have that much lying around.
happy-bread

Pro

My opponent didn't attack my points, therefore they stand.
Also, he didn't defend his arguments, therefore they fall.

1) Illegal aliens with American children are not deported actually because they don't want to split up the families. . According to Charles Wood of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, "One former United States Attorney for the San Diego region was quoted recently as saying that he can recall no case in the last ten to fifteen years where the illegal alien parents of a U.S. citizen child were deported."

2) Since many of the people in Mexico are in poverty, like you say, don't they come to America to improve the quality of life for themselves AND their children?

4?) The status quo for people coming into the United States is to take a test, that doesn't meant that the children of U.S. citizens would have to take a test if birthright citizenship was abolished. As long as we are making assumptions here, I could say that we will move to a system of jus sanguenis were citizenship is passed through the parents. So children of illegal aliens will be illegal aliens and children of U.S. citizens will be U.S. citizens.
lannan13

Con

I'm sorry I don't have time right now to finish this debate I give this debate to Happy Bread
happy-bread

Pro

Yay. vote pro
Posted by Jeff_McIntosh 2 years ago
Jeff_McIntosh
So im totally ashamed of the pro for allowing him to claim that immigration is racist. The instigator has a slanted view of racism all around. I would understand if he was to say latino immigrants use anchor babies. Then because it's specific to latino that is racist but you cant set a frontline thats completely incorrect. (sorry for type-o's)
Posted by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
an all out brawl
Posted by happy-bread 2 years ago
happy-bread
you need a longer voting period and what does "world war 5" mean?
Posted by Marauder 2 years ago
Marauder
what is up with all these 5 round debates?
Posted by Lucory 2 years ago
Lucory
this should really be Resolved: Birthright citizenship should be abolished in the United States.
Posted by vmpire321 2 years ago
vmpire321
Lol. WTF is this lol.

I do PFD, and the topic is the 14 amendment/birthright citizenship.
Posted by cameronl35 2 years ago
cameronl35
It's lannan's interpretation of it. The topic is about birthright citizenship
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 2 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
If by PFD you mean Public Forum Debate, this isn't the National Forensics League's February topic.
Research this debate: Israel,United States