Resolved: UN peacekeepers should have the power to engage in offensive operations.

I stand in negation of the NSDA January 2015 Resolution: Resolved UN peacekeepers should have the power to engage in offensive operations.

Contention 1- The United Nations in multiple cases has failed to actually bring peace.
The UN is a failure when is comes to actually bringing peace. Allowing these "Peacekeepers" to have weapons, to be used for anything but self defense is a liability risk. In multiple cases such as Somalia 1992-1994, Rwanda 1994-1995, Bosnia 1993-1995, and Democratic Republic of Congo 2011-Present, the UN Peacekeepers being there have only upped the ante and made rebels and opposing forces less likely to quit. In Somalia 1992-1994 the United Nations deployed nearly 30,000 troops to Somalia to fight opposing forces. But, the Peacekeeping mission failed, killing nearly 54 Pakistani Troops, let alone killing 22 American Soldiers and 99 others. In the Rwanda Genocide 1994-1995 the United Nations sent 22,000 troops to Rwanda, to hopefully bring peace to the already agitated Hutu and Tutsi rebels. That only made things worse. The UN involvement only brought Genocide, and 800,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed. Then there was Bosnia 1993-1995 where the UN sent in about 12,000 Peacekeepers were sent to Bosnia. In the end, the Peacekeepers only upset the rebels more. 20,000 Bosnians were killed by the end of the war in 1995, after another Peacekeeping mission failed.
Then there is the most recent failure with the Democratic Republic of Congo and the UN. The second largest peacekeeping mission to date, with 25,000 peacekeepers deployed into the DRC. This has only proved to fail to bring peace. In a report by Susan Price of the BBC, nearly 150 allegations of rape, prostitution, sexual & child exploitation have been brought against the current 25,000 peacekeepers there. The saddest part is, the UN, Peacekeeper Generals, and the Peacekeeper"s themselves have a "boys will be boys" type of attitude when it comes to these peacekeepers satisfying their sexual needs. Although the UN is choosing to have an attitude like this, in the "Code of Personnel for Blue Helmets," rule 4 is "Do not indulge in any immoral acts of sexual, physical, or psychological abuse or exploitation of the local population." This is very ironic, considering that the UN does nothing about these 150 allegations. If the UN can"t own up to their own Code of Conduct, why should they have the power to engage in offensive operations.

Contention 2- Offensive Operations has a blurred median.
Offensive Operation has no set definition, like one by Merriam Webster Dictionary,, etc. It has a blurred understanding that is to be interpreted by whoever. This gives Peacekeepers pretty much leeway to do whatever they feel is an Offensive Operation. Is an Offensive Operation the invasion of a country? How about attacking encampments? Everyone can agree that this gives peacekeepers leeway to do whatever they want. This is a simply flaw in this resolution.
Everyone can agree that to be Offensive, you must have an enemy or an opponent. Who decides that one is the enemy? Or should the peacekeepers be allowed to attack anyone that they see fitting? Any argument that states that the UN needs to be offensive, is simply void because of the incapability to prove what an offensive operation is.

Contention 3- Allowing peacekeeper to be offensive, will lead to abuse of power.
U.N. peacekeepers are not a military force and should not be allowed to be one. The U.N., effectively ruled by the five nations on the security council, should not have a military which carry out offensive operations. That opens the door to vast potential for abuses of power. As stated in Contention 1, The UN has over 150 allegations of peacekeepers abusing their power and indulging in sexual, physical, and psychological acts. If in the past 3 years (2011-Present) Peacekeepers without the power to be offensive have abused their power and indulging in said acts, imagine what would occur with the ability to be offensive.
Furthermore, with the three contentions above, the UN has proved to be unsuccessful and abusing of power. And lastly the blurred line of offensive operations.

Contention one: Military peacekeeping often require offense. Defensive measures will never maintain peace. True peace requires the aggressor to be defeated. In the past when peacekeepers were able to use offensive operations, they were overall successful in bringing peace. From ("Pros." United Nations: Peacekeeping. Web. 20 Dec. 2014.)The Korean War was the first major act of United Nations peacekeeping and was caused by involvement of the members of the Security Council with the people of North and South Korea. The Soviet Union provided North Korea with materials, and the Chinese helped North Korea fight the United Nations, while the United Nations helped South Korea fend off North Korean invaders. After three years of bloodshed an armistice was signed and peace was kept between North and South Korea at the 38th parallel. This hasn"t been the only war peacekeepers have been involved in that has require offensive operations. They also participated in the Cold war and the Gulf War I. Both of which they were successful in providing peace. Therefore, in order to truly carry out their directive, U.N. peacekeepers should have the power to carry out offensive operations.
Contention two: peacekeepers can"t keep peace properly if they have to wait for anticipated attacks towards them to happen. In order to be most effective in protecting themselves, peacekeepers must be able to preemptively strike. Currently, they must wait until they are attacked in order to defend themselves. From ("South Sudan: UN Officials, Security Council Condemn Deadly Attack on Peacekeepers." UN News Center. UN, 9 Apr. 2013. Web. 20 Dec. 2014.) On April 9th 2013, at least 12 peacekeepers were killed after being ambushed on a mission in the Jonglei State. The people who attacked the peacekeepers largely outnumbered them and were directly targeting the peacekeepers. They also killed many civilians, injured many, and many people still aren"t accounted for. The attacks could have been prevented in the first place if the peacekeeper was able to engage offensively against those causing conflict to them and/or the area they are trying to maintain peace in.
Contention three: when peacekeepers can"t preform offensive actions they not only put themselves at risk but the people they are trying to protect. It is true success is never guaranteed, because UN Peacekeeping almost by definition go to the most physically and politically difficult environments so it is all the more reason peacekeeper need the option of using offensive operations. Tim Mawe, a deputy permanent representative, stated in a letter written to the president in June 2014, "We owe it to our service personnel, deploying into increasingly dangerous environments, that they are as well equipped as possible. It is sobering to remember that to this date this year 37 persons serving on UN peacekeeping missions have been killed." Keep in mind this does not take in account the number of the civilians killed and people injured. So by not allowing UN peacekeepers to engage in offensive operations were basically costing innocent people their lives.

chrisjachimiak forfeited this round.

mariahscats forfeited this round.

Thank you for accepting. I wish you luck.

One thing that is very very important in choosing who the winner of today's debate is you have to consider that Pro never fought against my second contention, talking about how Offensive Operations is not defined. My question for pro is "Is an Offensive Operation the invasion of a country? How about attacking encampments?" My opponent failed to define that term, so therefore, the Points should go to the Con.

In their first contention they said: "In the past when peacekeepers were able to use offensive operations, they were overall successful." According to [1] The Korean War in which they said was 'very successful', nearly 55,000 people died [1]. If I'm not mistaken, the death of 55,000 people is not all that successful. My opponent failed to take into consideration my first contention where I proved countless times that UN peacekeeping is overall not successful and leads to the harm of citizens in which these UN peacekeepers are fighting in. For example: Somalia, Rwanda, Bosnia, and The DRC are 4 complete failures in which the UN peacekeepers used offensive operations. The UN peacekeepers can't be reliable enough to stop the peace in these 4 examples. Therefore, the points fall to the Con.

In their second contention they said: "Peacekeepers can't keep peace properly if they have to wait for anticipated attacks towards them to happen."
This is simply false. In most cases, UN peacekeepers are not actually fighting a war. This seems pretty obvious, but they are there to keep peace. That seems difficult for pro to understand. UN peacekeepers by having the ability to use military grade weapons is most likely irritating the opposing forces, and not actually bringing peace.

In their third Contention they said: "When peacekeepers can"t perform offensive actions they not only put themselves at risk but the people they are trying to protect." If pro would have paid attention to the second part of my first contention, the UN peacekeepers are already putting the citizens in these countries at risk. Just in The DRC, Susan Price of the BBC reports, nearly 150 allegations of rape, prostitution, sexual & child exploitation have been brought against the current 25,000 peacekeepers there. [2] I'm failing to see Pro's point. How would allowing the UN Peacekeepers to have weapons take the risk factor out. You can't say that you're protecting the citizens when having offensive operations when there's these 150 allegations of Rape, Prostitution, Etc..

I Should only see everyone vote Con in today's debate, considering the incompetence of Pro to actually read my case.

mariahscats forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited two rounds, and has left me with little to nothing to debate against. I think that due to him forfeiting two rounds and leaving me, the con with nothing to debate, that I should win.
My first contention is still standing.
My second Contention is still standing.
and My third Contention is still standing.

His first contention ISN'T left Standing. I attacked this in round 3
His second contention isn't left standing. I attacked this in round 3
His third contention like the rest of them isn't standing. I attacked this in round 3.

Seeing as though all of my contentions are still standing, I should win today's debate. Thanks.

mariahscats forfeited this round.
Posted by judgezoe 1 year ago
i need help
Posted by mdifiore9292 1 year ago
Couldn't the pro just argue that all the failures of previous UN missions is due to lack of power, and should therefore not only have the power for offensive operations, once providing a clear definition, but more power than that in order to be successful?
Posted by Kingludwig 1 year ago
i would also like to see your sources
Posted by debatability 1 year ago
I'll mark this debate in my tab to judge. I will note, warren24 is right. I know I am at fault for frequently forgetting to post my sources when i copy and paste a case that I wrote for formal debate, but remember that sources matter all the more in online debate.
Posted by warren42 1 year ago
Both Con (and the potential Pro contender) should provide sources. Con makes compelling arguments, but these statistics are not based in fact (or at least we have no reason to believe they are) so the arguments are less reliable.
Vote Placed by warren42 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes Con due to forfeit. S&G was good for both. Arguments go Con because of better R1 arguments and Pro had no further ones. Sources go Con because Pro had none.