Epicurus
C-Mach

Resolved: Vanilla Ice Cream is Superior to Chocolate Ice Cream

Epicurus

Pro

On balance, vanilla flavored ice cream is superior to vanilla flavored ice cream.

Public Forum Rules

As defined by http://www.merriam-webster.com..., superior means "of higher rank, quality, or importance."

Contention One: Vanilla ice cream is healthier
Contention Two: Vanilla ice cream is better for society
Contention Three: Vanilla ice cream further stimulates its respective market.
C-Mach

Con

According to caloriecount.about.com, chocolate ice cream (1/2 cup, 66 grams) contains 143 Calories (65 Calories of which come from fat), 7.3g of fat (4.5g of which is saturated fat), 22 milligrams of cholesterol, and 18.6g of carbohydrates (16.7g of which are sugars).

http://caloriecount.about.com...

Let's see about vanilla ice cream from the same site. Vanilla ice cream (1/2 cup, 72g) contains 145 Calories (72 Calories of which come from fat), 7.9g of fat (4.9g of which come from fat), 32mg of cholesterol, and 17g of carbohydrates (15.3g of which are sugars).

http://caloriecount.about.com...

I don't know about you, but I think vanilla ice cream has failed this contention.

The term "better for society" is a term that has varying definitions and connotations for every person (I do not want to debate this right now. Let's stick to the subject matter.). However, chocolate contains caffeine, which can give a person a "buzz" when consumed, and thus, people can complete tasks assigned to them (e.g., spreadsheets) without being drowsy.

Vanilla ice cream has not met this contention, even though the term "better for society" is pretty sketchy.

When you say "further stimulates its respective market," I assume you mean a popularity contest (NO DUH!!!). Vanilla ice cream is the most popular flavor with 29%, chocolate second with 8.9%.

http://www.makeicecream.com...

Vanilla ice cream has met this contention overwhelmingly!

Since two out of the three contentions were not met by vanilla flavored ice cream, chocolate flavored ice cream is winning. Your rebuttal, Epicurus?
Epicurus

Pro

I'd like to begin by thanking my opponent, and then move on to bolstering my contentions.

I will start with my first contention, vanilla ice cream is healthier. Using Mayfield Brand as the standard in which the nutrition facts of chocolate and vanilla ice cream are compared, it becomes very apparent that vanilla is, as previously defined, superior to chocolate in the realm of health. According to http://www.thedailyplate.com..., one serving of chocolate ice cream contains fifteen more calories, and four more grams of total fat.

Moving on to my second condition, vanilla ice cream is better for society. In the first round, my opponent failed to provide points, instead opting to attempt a rebuttal without an explanation of my contentions, thus completely misunderstanding said contentions. To say that vanilla is better for society is to say that it does not exploit the labor force of poor nations. According to the CIA world factbook (https://www.cia.gov...), the top three producers of vanilla, Madagascar, Indonesia, and China, have higher living standards, gross domestic products, and lower poverty rates and unemployment rates than the top three producers of cocoa, the key ingredient of chocolate, the latter countries are C�te d'Ivoire, Ghana, and Indonesia. Therefore, it is overwhelmingly obvious that the harvest of vanilla extract is less of a strain on both humanity and society as a whole than cocoa.

My third contention, Vanilla ice cream further stimulates its respective market, was, again, misunderstood by my opponent. To clarify, vanilla ice cream is further stimulating its respective market, vanilla flavored products, than chocolate. Due to the exponentially larger applications of chocolate in addition to ice cream (candy, beverages, etc.) comparatively to vanilla, one can very safely deduce that vanilla ice cream benefits its flavor's market further than chocolate. According to CIA World Factbook, the vanilla market also further stimulates the economy of it's top producers than chocolate.

Therefore, it is overwhelmingly obvious that vanilla is superior to chocolate.

Your rebuttal, con?
C-Mach

Con

Thank you, Epicurus, for responding swiftly to my arguement.

Contention One: Vanilla ice cream is healthier.

I also provided an example (with very specific nutrition facts) of both the chocolate and vanilla ice creams.

http://caloriecount.about.com...

http://caloriecount.about.com...

Since my opponent has not provided me with a DIRECT reference to vanilla ice cream being healthier, then it still stands that vanilla ice cream has failed this contention.

Contention Two: Vanilla ice cream is better for society.

Once again, the term "better for society" is a term that has varying definitions and connotations for every person. I didn't know you were talking about living standards, GDPs, poverty, and unemployment in relation to the respective top three producing countries of vanilla and cocoa. In that instance, you have to prove to me that the cultivation of those two crops and standards of living are indeed linked, because correlation does not necessarily equal causation. In the instance that the cultivation of vanilla is linked to higher living standards and cocoa to lower living standards, wouldn't that make a case for people to buy chocolate flavored ice cream and, thusly, IMPROVE THE SOCIETIES of those countries?

Therefore, it is overwhelmingly obvious that the harvest of cocoa beans is less of a strain on both humanity and society as a whole than vanilla (sound familiar?), and that vanilla ice cream has failed this contention.

I cannot argue with Epicurus on this contention: Vanilla meets this contention HANDS DOWN!

Since vanilla ice cream failed two out of the three contentions, chocolate flavored ice cream is superior to its vanilla counterpart.
Epicurus

Pro

Thank you, C-Mach.

I'll start with the opponent's rebuttal to my first contention. The fact of the matter is that I defined the standard in this debate as Mayfield brand ice cream, which is in accordance with Public Forum rules, which the opponent agreed upon by accepting this round. Therefore, my sources, which I did, in fact, display, are the only ones relevant.

On to my second contention. The opponent again misunderstood what I stated. I stated that vanilla is superior to society in that it did not exploit the economies of poorer countries like chocolate. This is very similar to outsourcing or sweatshops, where the labor force is cheap thus exploiting impoverished people.

As for my third contention, the opponent openly admitted to me being right.

At last, the opponent has failed to provide any contentions of his own, thus having no grounds for the con in and of itself. Therefore, it is only logical that you vote pro.
C-Mach

Con

http://caloriecount.about.com......

http://caloriecount.about.com......

This argument was copied and pasted because it fits in Round Three AS WELL as in Round Two.
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
borring. i couldnt pay attention enough to read it.
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
This was a tough one to judge. I'm not crazy about Con copying his argument from R2 to R3, but it did seem to fit. I was also surprised Pro didn't mention sales, as vanilla undoubtedly brings in more revenue. As it stands, Pro didn't definitively prove vanilla's superiority.
Posted by mohammeddurkajihad 8 years ago
mohammeddurkajihad
only contentions were supposed to be posted this round, not evidence.
mohammeddurkajihad
hahaha! funny
My wish from the Corrupt-a-Wish Forum game was granted.
Vote Placed by C-Mach 8 years ago
C-Mach
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by MarcusMang 8 years ago
MarcusMang
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by peace-maker 8 years ago
peace-maker
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 8 years ago
saamanthagrl
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by Epicurus 8 years ago
Epicurus
EpicurusC-MachTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
EpicurusC-MachTied