truthiskey
michaelperry13

Resolved: Voting should NOT be based on age

michaelperry13

truthiskey

Pro

Rules:

1st round: acceptance and definitions ONLY
2nd round: Arguments/contentions/points/assertions ONLY
3rd round:Arguments/contentions/points/assertions AND Rebuttal
4th round: rebuttal ONLY
5th Round: Closing Statements (Why vote for me?)

Definitions can also be clarified or given at any time.

Arguments can be defended at any time

No foul language or personal attacks.

Pro will try to prove the topic, while con will try to disprove it.
michaelperry13

Con

I accept your challenge and will debate that voting should be based on age.
Please clarify if your argument is as "themohawkninja " said in the comment section below.
Right now I am under the impression that I will be debating against the use of literacy tests and political knowledge to decide who is allowed to vote. Pro will have to prove that there is a problem with the current system and that changing it as such will fix said problem.

I look forward to this debate.
truthiskey

Pro

truthiskey forfeited this round.
michaelperry13

Con

While I do take pity on you for not posting your argument, I have not yet posted mine. In consequence, I will take this time to present some of my ideas on the matter. They will be concise arguments, but I would like you to answer them in the next round of debate.

1. Are we really proposing to change our whole voting system?
If there isn't a problem with something, there is no reason to propose a solution. In this debate, because you are pro, you hold the burden of proof and must prove that there is a problem with the current system that needs to be fixed. How do you plan to change the voting system? What will it be based on? You cannot simply say that you don't want it based on age, because then people could register their 5 years old children, or even their newborn children to vote! What alternatives are there to age? It is the best way to universally categorize "voters" and "non-voters."

2. In this debate, you must prove that this will cause less discrimination than the current system. As many of us know, voter ID laws are one of the things that politicians have used to keep the minorities of our country out of the voting booths. How will you propose a different way to decide who can vote without incidentally causing misrepresentation of a community?

3. Is this really how we should be spending our valuable time?
As you may or may not know, this past year's (2013's) congress was one of the least productive ever. We are at a time in this nation where there is not nearly enough cooperation to get the work done that REALLY needs to get done. You will need to prove to me that the current voting system is such a problem that it needs to be addressed in a time in the US when we struggle to get anything done, much less change the very foundation on which our government lies.

Keep these questions in mind. I await your arguments.
truthiskey

Pro

truthiskey forfeited this round.
michaelperry13

Con

I do hope that you can return for the next round. I was looking forward to this debate, and I think it'll be a challenge for both of us.
truthiskey

Pro

truthiskey forfeited this round.
michaelperry13

Con

Still no arguments have been posted.
truthiskey

Pro

truthiskey forfeited this round.
michaelperry13

Con

I'm disappointed that we could not have this debate.

I'll interpret this as a forfeit.

Vote con.
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
@michaelperry13
@black_squirrel

What he is saying is not that every age should be allowed to vote irregardless of anything, but that some sort of competency test (basic intelligence, political knowledge, etc) should be what determines who votes and who doesn't, instead of just discriminating by age.
Posted by michaelperry13 3 years ago
michaelperry13
I also don't understand. And if it indeed that every age should have the right to vote, is that a serious statement?
Posted by black_squirrel 3 years ago
black_squirrel
I am not sure what this debate is about. Do you mean, there should not be a minimum age for having voting rights? Infants should have the right to vote?
Vote Placed by Illegalcombatant 3 years ago
Illegalcombatant
truthiskeymichaelperry13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments + conduct to Con because of Pros forfeits