royalpaladin
thett3

Resolved: We should name our daughter Ariadne

royalpaladin

Pro

Background: Thett and I just got married, and we are having the ultimate debate baby. So, we decided to have a debate about the baby's name.

First round is acceptance only.
thett3

Con

No way. I contend that we name our baby olga.

Challenge accepted
royalpaladin

Pro

Contention 1: Mothers should select their childrens' names.
a
Mothers have a greater right to select their childrens' names because they invest more time and energy in the childbirth process. Since I am the mother and I want her name to be Ariadne, even if Olga is a better name than Ariadne, my wishes should be respected.

Contention 2: Olga is an ugly name

I mean, just listen to it. What kind of image does "Olga" bring up? Gross

Contention 3: Ariadne is the name of a Greek princess

In mythology, Ariadne marries Dionysus, the god of wine. I want our daughter to have the mythological figure to look up to. If we pick "Olga", all she has to look forward to is being horse vomit.

Contention 4: Olga is not fashionable

The name Olga was popular in the 1880s. Do you really want our daughter to wear petticoats and be an uneducated housewife?

Contention 5: Ariadne is not a common name

If she has this name, she will stick out for all of the right reasons. If she has "Olga" she will stick out for all of the wrong reasons, get depressed, and commit suicide.

Contention 6: I am clearly the dominant partner in the relationship

I proposed to thett and made him my soulmate, so whatever I say has to go.

Contention 7: Vote for Royal because she is Royal

That about sums up my case. <3
thett3

Con

Thanks :D!

RE: Mothers should select their childrens names

This is just silly stereotyping, gender roles are outdated! Not to mention that I'm also listed as a female so it's not clear who will actually be the mother... 0.0

RE: Olga is an ugly name

This was actually going to be one of my contentions! Turn: Of course olga is an ugly name, that's the point! Any child that has the DNA of both royalpaladin and myself is obviously going to be gorgeous, so it would surprise everyone when they saw that her name was so ugly. Not only would it be interesting that someone so beautiful had such an ugly name (talking point) but it would also be surprising, and everyone loves a surprise!

RE: Ariadne is a Greek princess

Ariadne may be a fictional princess, but Olga is a resturant[1]!

RE: Unfashionable

"Do you really want our daughter to wear petticoats "

Yes.

"uneducated housewife"

No! But many famous and non housewife women are named Olga! Like Mexican long distance runner Olga Appell[2]

RE: Ariadne is not common

Oh, and Olga is? pleeaaaaseeeeeeeeeeee

RE: RP is dominant

Proving or disproving this argument would involve uploading one of the (many) videos of our vibrant and crazy sex life, which would get us banned. So dont buy this, I'm deifnitely dominant ;)

RE: Vote for Royal because

False, vote thett!

==My case==

Contention one: Naming our child Olga will reduce the chance of Nuclear war

OBVIOUSLY our child will rise to a prominent position in the US by sheer intelligence, and since Olga is a slavic name the people of Russia will feel a sort of kinship with her. This will better US-Russian relations and lessen the chance of a devestating third world war

Vote thett!

1. http://www.olgas.com...;
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...

royalpaladin

Pro

Mothers Get to Pick

I told you that I should get to pick because I have more of an investment in the childbirth process, and he says that gender roles are outdated. Unfortunately for him, however, this is not a result of a gender role, this is a result of my sex. I have to carry the child for 9 months and regulate my body. He doesn't have to do any of those things. So, my investment in the process is greater than his, so I should get to pick the name.

He also says that he is also listed as a female. That doesn't make difference. He is really a male. I could post videos, but I would get banned ;)

Olga is Ugly

He turns my argument and tells you that the fact that Olga is ugly is good because it means that we will surprise everyone when our gorgeous baby has an ugly name. Turn this back because surprises are actually bad. They prevent us from getting what we expect and instead deliver us a nasty shock. I mean, who likes nasty shocks? Plus, surprises are known to cause mental damage because of the fact that they do not deliver to us what we expect. Do you want to cause mental damage to yourself when you see an absolutely stunning baby with the name "Olga'?

Ariadne is a Princess

He's lying! Ariadne was not fictional! She was real, and right now she gets to see all of those gorgeous gods on Olympus *swoons*
. . . Ahem, anyways, he also says that Olga is a restaurant. So is Ariadne(http://boston.citysearch.com...;). So, if you pick Ariadne, the baby gets to be a princess and a restaurant. I outweigh in terms of awesomeness.

Unfashionable

He says that he is ok with our daughter wearing petticoats. That's a bad thing. Yuck. She will look like a hag. If he likes them so much, he should wear them! (pics, please!)

He also says that she will not be an uneducated housewife because there are famous runners named Olga. The problem is that Olga was popular when women were housewives. So, even if there are some non-housewife Olgas, I still win in terms of probability because the vast majority of Olgas are housewives who spend most of their time cooking, cleaning, and making sammiches.

Ariadne is Not Common

I win again! Ariadne is less common than Olga ever ways.

Royal is dominant

Don't believe thett! He is hiding the fact that I am always the one leading the sex by pretending that he will be banned if he posts the vids!

I am not less dominant . . . well, except for that one time that he approach me on April Fool's Day to start our relationship . . . and the time he made me tell him my first impressions of him. . .and that other time that he made me make him dinner . . . and that time-well, you get the idea. I am clearly in charge of this relationship.

Vote for Royal because she is Royal

My opponent drops this! YAY!

New Argument: He Promised Me

I have evidence that he promised me that I could name the child when he was trying to catch my eye. I can post this if he wants :)

Nuclear War
Turn this entire contention because Nuclear War is a good thing.

According to scientific evidence, the only way to end global warming is through nuclear war. That's a good thing.

The global cooling caused by these high carbon clouds wouldn't be as catastrophic as a superpower-versus-superpower nuclear winter, but "the effects would still be regarded as leading to unprecedented climate change," research physical scientist Luke Oman said during a press briefing Friday at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington, D.C.

Earth is currently in a long-term warming trend. After a regional nuclear war, though, average global temperatures would drop by 2.25 degrees F (1.25 degrees C) for two to three years afterward, the models suggest.

At the extreme, the tropics, Europe, Asia, and Alaska would cool by 5.4 to 7.2 degrees F (3 to 4 degrees C), according to the models. Parts of the Arctic and Antarctic would actually warm a bit, due to shifted wind and ocean-circulation patterns, the researchers said.

After ten years, average global temperatures would still be 0.9 degree F (0.5 degree C) lower than before the nuclear war, the models predict.

(Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com... )

Second, Nuclear War is good because it will end the suffering of humanity much more quickly than humanity would end otherwise. Apparently, by the year 2050, petroleum deposits will have been substantially depleted and there will be famines. Nuclear War prevents this by reducing the population size greatly and killing off people quickly and painlessly. He is being evil by trying to prevent nuclear war.

Proof: http://www.cross-x.com...;
thett3

Con

<3

RE: Mothers get to pick

Royal still hasnt proven that I'm not a female, until she does, the argument applies to me as well. Too bad poting videos would get us banned so we'll never know :)

RE: Olga is ugly

She tries to return my turn, but he response fails because she assumes that it would be a "nasty" shock. I dont see how assuming someone is ugly and then finding out they're actually drop-dead gorgeous could be anything but good!

RE: Araidne is a Princess

My opponent is correct, however she misses the fact that Olga is also a royal name. At least 6 royal women were named olga[1]! I win

RE: Unfashionable

My opponent claims that she would look like a hag in a petticoat, but this makes no sense. I conend that she would be goregous and couldn't look like a hag in anything. How offensive!

She then argues that because Olga is an old fashioned name, so therefore our baby would be old fashioned, however she ignores the rise of hipsterism, where individuals, in an attempt to be different (not "mainstream") will do unexpected stuff.....like naming a baby olga. And these are progressives, so her impact is nil.

RE: Araidne is not common
She drops my response!!

RE: Royal is dominant

She basically concedes that I'm the dominant one. She even said so last night....

RE New Argument

Pics or it didnt happen :)

Nuke war:

In true policy debate style....ahem..

myopponentdropsthearrantshesaysglobalwarmingwouldbestopped.firstthisdropsthewarrant,nukewarwithrussiais
mutuallyassureddestructionWitchey'12.Negateifyoudontwanttodiefromnukewar.Nukewarkeytohumanextinctionthis isamajorimpactdonotignoreit.Droppedwarrantthatnamingchildolgaimprvesrelationsextendwarratandimpactacrossflow
further,globalwarminggoodPatterson'11:

"

In short: Global warming is good for people.

If you don’t believe me, look at the temperature variations within the Holocene: The so-called Roman Warming coincided with the heights of classical civilization; then came a period of cooling which coincided with the social collapse of the Dark Ages.

Then there was the Medieval Warm Period, which coincided with the rise of monumental cathedrals in Europe and the settlement by Vikings in a lush Greenland, followed by the Little Ice Age (from roughly the 14th to the 19th centuries) — which saw widespread political upheavals, famine and disease.

Finally, there is the current warming trend of the last century and a half or so.

In each instance, the result is broadly the same: The warmer the Earth, the better it has been for people.

So let’s be thankful for the Holocene — civilization could never have arisen without it. And let’s be thankful we live in this especially warm period within the Holocene, which has seen human populations achieve measures of health and wealth unparalleled in all of history."

criticalimpactshdropsiwinglobalwarminggoodvoteneg.

New argument: Araidne is animal cruelty

Witchey '12: "everythime the name adraidne is said, a puppy gets kicked"

1. http://www.nypost.com...
2. Private interview with Witchey.

royalpaladin

Pro

<3

Mothers Get to Pick

He tells you that all of my arguments about how I am the mother are irrelevant because I have not proven that he is female. Ok, so I have two reponses. I the first is based on the definition of "mother". The mother of a human child in the individual who gives birth to her. Even if thett is female and we are really lesbian lovers, I am the preggo one so I am the real mother. In that case, my argument i still just as valid. Second, however, if you do take his bait, he admits to being male on his profile. The other day, dustpelt expressed shock that thett was female and had a "lesbian partner" (me) but was against gay marriage. Thett explained that he had posted pics the other night that proved that he was male.

Princess
Ok, so there were some princesses named Olga. Unfortunately for him, I am still outweighing in terms of awesomess. Ariadne is a princess who becomes a goddess. That trumps ugly minor princesses named Olga. Plus, Ariadne was a Christian saint, a Byzantine Empress, an actress, and a giant tarantula. Royal wins! (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org...(disambiguation))

Unfashionable
Only hags were petticoats. So, if our baby wore petticoats, she would be a hag. He refuses to provide pics of him wearing a petticoat, so his argument is invalid :)

He then argues that hipsterism has revived the name "Olga" and that our children would not be making sammches eternally. The problem is that Olga is still considered an old-fashioned name, and people from old-fashioned families use it more often than hipsters. Moreover, it was more popular in the old era. This means that the probability of our child being a slave is much higher than the probability of her being a progressive. I outweigh on probability.

Araidne is not Common
I did not drop his response.

Royal is Dominant

Ok, I concede that Thett is dominant, but that just means that he should let me pick the name because I have to feel an investment in the relationship. Turn.

Nuke War

My opponent is misrepresenting his evidence that global warming is good. Although the Earth obviously does need to stay warm to an extent, the levels that we are obtaining are harmful. Current trends show that within the next 50 years, the sea levels will rise because of ice cap melting and many coastal cities across the globe will be flooded. Millions of people will die terrible deaths as a result of global warming. It is clearly horrendous.

Extend the second turn on the Nuke War argument, namely that nuclear war is good because it reduces population sizes quickly and painlessly. This prevents future suffering from such problems as global warming, famines, and floods.

Compromise

The real purpose of this debate was to teach the readers that love is about compromising and is not about rivalry. Hence, thett and I have agreed ot name the baby Ariadne-Olga. Please vote for a tie.
thett3

Con

Love is about compromise...vote tie!
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
This was so cute. XD
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
Posted by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
omg da votin is lyke supr close
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
chilllllllllllllllll...................
Posted by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
Dude, what is your problem? Nobody asked you to read our debate.

I hate when people try to regulate what we do. You were not required to read this debate. Nobody asked you to.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
srsly, wtf?
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Thett has to make an argument about nuclear war in every debate he does but this is the most unique refuation I have seen. "Nuclear war is a good thing" LOL
Posted by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
Win
Posted by renji_abarai 5 years ago
renji_abarai
Olga is the name of a really creepy person in a movie I watched before. Ariadne is the name of successful woman in another movie I watched. I watch a lot of movies lol.
Posted by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
no, olga gaiz gosh
Vote Placed by renji_abarai 5 years ago
renji_abarai
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Olga for the middle name and Ariadne for the first name.
Vote Placed by Sojourner 5 years ago
Sojourner
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Olga is easier to pronounce
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Name her beatrix kiddo
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The lovers have declared, in this astoundingly bad--I mean amusing debate--that neither win; when at the moment of birth, their child is born, let all the fortunes, the sprites,the fairies turn from wedlock with their other shadows and, like many to the newborn Christ, see its glory, beauty, and magnificence.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: You are oth too young to marry, so sell the child and spend more time on debate.org. Okay, so maybe you won't buy into that. Both names are perfectly fine. I'll go with Pro on the grounds that mothers should get a small edge in choosing. As Pro says, mothers are more involved -- not by much, but somewhat. To fully reflect the spirit of the times, girls should be named Solyndra. That's one of Obama's three daughters, I think.
Vote Placed by SeelTheMan 5 years ago
SeelTheMan
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Ariadne is better... but Olga...
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Both names suck: Ariadne sounds like "harry acne" and Olga sounds like a brawny Columbian lady who smokes meth
Vote Placed by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I was gonna vote-bomb in favor of thett, but I decided against it and vote bombed I'm favor of both thett and royal. What now.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Both names where wrong. Name her.... Never mind
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
royalpaladinthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: <3