DATXDUDE
Rami

Resolved: quote debate

DATXDUDE

Pro

NOTE: I PUT THIS DEBATE UP DUE TO A COMPLICATION IN THE LAST ONE. THIS BEING THE CASE, I WILL USE THE SAME QUOTE THAT I USED IN THE LAST DEBATE FOR THE FIRST ROUND, BECAUSE I WANT MY POSITION REFUTED. PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY.

The premise of this debate is simple. The objective is to use one quote to justify your position. The rebuttal must refute the argument made in that quote. Two topics will be chosen by me, and the other topic will be chosen by my opponent. PM me the topics you wish to accept the debate, along with the topics you would like to choose. I will forfeit round four so my opponent can go first for the last topic. My opponent will forfeit his/her turn in round 5. First round is acceptance.

These are the topics I will be using:

Gun Control (I will be Con)
Regulation of Corporations (I will be Pro)
Rami

Con

I feel obliged to have a quote for acceptance, but the laziness in me overcame the urge.

Third Topic: GMOs should be banned (Con)
I would phrase it as just 'GMOs', and put myself as Pro, but since I'm officially Con in this debate, I wanted to keep things clear.
DATXDUDE

Pro

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed." - Adolf Hitler
Rami

Con

"Freedom consist not in doing what we like, but in having the right of doing what we ought." -Pope John Paul II.
DATXDUDE

Pro

Totalitarianism no longer comes in the form of communism or fascism. It comes now from corporations. And these corporations fear those who think and write, those who speak out and form relationships freely. Individual freedom impedes their power and their profits. Our democracy, as Snowden I think has revealed, has become a fiction. The state, through elaborate forms of political theater, seeks to maintain this fiction to keep us passive. And if we wake up, the state will not shy away from draconian measures. The goal is complete subjugation, the iron rule of our corporations and our power elite. - Chris Hedges
Rami

Con

Rashi's commentary on Leviticus 19:15 on the line of 'You shall not favor a poor person':

"[This means] that you shall not say, "This man is poor, and the rich man is obligated to provide him with sustenance; therefore, I will acquit him in judgment, and he will thus be sustained respectably."
DATXDUDE

Pro

Round forfeited so Rami can go first.
Rami

Con

Sorry for taking so long.

"What can be asserted without can be dismissed without proof." -Christopher Hitchens.
DATXDUDE

Pro

"Any scientist who tells you they know that GMOs are safe and not to worry about it, is either ignorant of the history of science or is deliberately lying. Nobody knows what the long-term effect will be."- David Suzuki
Rami

Con

I waive this round as agreed upon.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Me too.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
I enjoyed this debate a lot.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Or I could just say "I forfeit this round as required by the rules." I think I'll do that.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Nope, I don't mind. Damn, now we have to wait three days. You should be able to come up with a pretty good quote by then.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
You wouldn't mind if I bring in a quote for the Bible, would you?
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
A few ours. 'Snort'. Yeah right.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Within a few hours.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
When do you think you could post next?
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
I think I got is.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
Oh. I have a quote, though. If you think you can refute it, here it is. Otherwise, I'll wait for someone else to take the debate.