Pluto2493
Hypnodoc

Resolved: shoe companies should make more Velcro shoes and less shoe-lace shoes.

Pluto2493

Pro

I'd like to thank you for looking at this debate and hopefully voting, judging, or debating it. I ask that voters based on who made the better arguments, and that you put your personal opinion aside.

With that said, let's explore the reasons why Velcro is better than shoe-laces.

CONTENTION 1: Ease.

It is extremely easy to tighten and pull over a peice of Velcro to the other side of your shoe. On the other hand, it takes years for a child to learn how to tie shoelaces. And all those methods! I mean you got your bunny ears, your loop-swoop-pull, and numerous other methods. Not to mention you have to learn about other kinds of knots too. It is much simpler just to use Velcro.

CONTENTION 2: Annoyingness/Wear-and-tear/ugliness.

First off, shoe laces untie so eaisly, it can get annoying. And what do you do? You keep having to re-tie 'em! It is simply annoying. What about Back to the Future, where Marty gets those cool VELCRO automatic shoes? Velcro stays fastened and is very srong.

Another thing: what about when your shoe laces lose the caps at the end of them and they get all fraid? That's quite annoying. Then, when they come out of the hole, it's nearly impossible to get it back through there. Not to mention how ugly your shoe laces look when they're like that. Velcro would not have these problems.

All in all, I have proven why Velcro is better, and I eagarly await my opponent's response. Just look at what the AVGN has to say:

http://youtube.com...

funny.
Hypnodoc

Con

First and foremost thank you for putting up this interesting and wacky debate topic.

Though there are a few minor merits to the use of velcro I will show that lacing is vastly superior.

CONTENTION 1: Ease.

Though my opponent would have you believe it is easier to use velcro on all foot wear this is not the case.

Shoes and boots designed to provide support to the ankle need the durability and varied tension of lacing in order to function properly. Velcro for this purpose would not only be unreliable due to slippage but it would require velcro the size of laces to vary the tension from the toe to the top of the boot. It would take the same amount of time to adjust all of the velcro as it would to lace and tie a boot properly with laces.

First and foremost if you tie your laces correctly they will not untie without being manually untied. Second if you are worried about them becoming untied you can get lace in zippers for them that will keep them fastened and the support will remain.

The fact that my opponent has referenced back to the future part 2 in itself speaks volumes as that was the lamest movie in the series.
Shoelaces can and in fact sometimes lose caps and yes this is annoying for about 5 seconds while you create a new cap with tape. Hardly a major inconvenience.

The look of Velcro should be reserved for toddlers the only true application that is warranted.

My final point in this round is a look at economic impact of this debate.

My opponent believes that shoe manufacturer's should spend hundreds of millions of dollars (this would be necessary in order to make their machines produce the velcro shoes) the massive loss of revenue caused by the expenditure would cause the stocks to tumble and could be the beginning of a massive crash in the global economy.
Think of all of the shoelace manufacturers that would loose their jobs people would starve all because an inferior product laced with Velcro was forced on the populace.
Pluto2493

Pro

I thank Hypnodoc for accepting this debate. I will go straight down the flow.

CONTENTION 1: Ease.

My opponent suggests that, in order to gain ankle support, a lot of velcro would be needed, and it would slip. First of all, I urge him to back these statements up with evidence.
Secondly, look at these velcro shoes (http://www.backcountrygear.com...) (http://www.bigmen.co.uk...) (http://www.zappos.com...). These are basketball shoes, dress shoes, and everyday shoes, all of which require ankle support. Yet, people can still use these shoes. The argument he makes is blatantly false. These don't require massive amounts of velcro. In fact, Velcro is very strong (http://en.wikipedia.org...). This says:

"A two inch square piece of velcro is enough to support a 175 lb person."

Now how long is a shoe? Two inches across and a foot long? Only two square inches are needed a 175 pound person. If a person weighs more than that, more Velcro. About 4 straps would be needed to support a 325 person. THAT'S strength and support.

Finally, he says with extra straps it would take as long as tying a shoe lace. Not only did I disprove extras straps would be needed, even if it were, it would only take about 5-10 seconds to tighten and strap your velcro. After that, it'd stay. No need to keeping bending down to tighten your shoes. The same cannot be said in the case of shoe laces.

CONTENTION 2: Annoyingness, yada-yada-yada

My opponent says that if you tie your shoe laces together correctly, they will not come undone. Well yeah, for 5 minutes! C'mon, we've all had to be annoyed by having to bend down and tie our laces. Not only that, you must untie them when you take them off, and if you tie them like CON says, 'correctly', it takes ages to untie them manually when you want to take them off.

Second he suggests getting zippers. This is irrational, and I fail to see how this disproves the resolution. Not only would that look ugly, Velcro would be much more sane. It would only take MORE time to tie up your shoe laces, and it would link to all of the economic disadvantages CON talks about later (which I will get to).

Third, BTTF2 was actually the BEST in the series. Then the first, then number 3.

Next, he mentions that you can make a new tape cap. However, he fails to see that those can come off, too, and still look ugly. Not to mention the dirt that stays under there. But, that was not even my main point. My main point was that it's extremely annoying when your laces come out of the little holes. Especially if they're torn, it is nearly impossible to get them back through. This would not happen, unless done so deliberately, with Velcro.

ECONOMICS:

My opponent suggests that the global economy would collapse if shoe companies made more Velcro.

The collapse of the shoe industry could not cause any sort of collapse, given it is not a central part of the economy and there is a high demand for it. Also, you must note the resolution says that they should make MORE velcro shoes. These woes could happen if they had to immediately switch to Velcro, but the resolution only says that they should make more of them. Hence, it won't cause these dramatic crises because it is such a small increase.

As for the machines, I urge CON to show how much a Velcro machine would cost. I would also like CON to show how many companies don't currently have Velcro machines for children's shoes.
The reason I ask these things is because I fail to see how something can collapse with an addition. Yes, it will cost money, but shoe companies make different types of shoes all the time. Restaurants re-model and open new chains. Practically every company makes additions. Without these, people would lose interest. Because companies want to provide their service well, they need new things. I say, even if it costs a few bucks, why not? It's technology.

Thank you for reading and hopefully voting on this debate. I thank my opponent again for debating me on this issue. With that said, I urge you to vote PRO.
Hypnodoc

Con

My opponent has listed sites where you can purchase shoes, That is fine but just because people make these items does not mean that they are good better or even equal to the vast number of laced shoes on the market.

Velcro shoes had their shot they were alive in the early 1980's and they died the american public decided they did notwant to be lazy. They decided to lace their shoes as it is superior.

There are several knots that will hold if you tie them properly. I know it takes a little attention to do it but here is a site wherein you can find knots that are extremely strong.

Layhands.com

Velcro is a product that is created with petroleum based plastics, when heated they give off chemicals that can and do cause cancer. The velcro must also be adhered with an industrial strength adhesive. These substances make it hazardous for the workers that would produce these items.

At current I am unable to look up the economic reprocussions of this issue however from my opponents own source I will show several deficiencies.

The strength of the Velcro bond is directly proportionate to the direction the force is applied. Paralell force allows the bond to be most secure however force appied from other direction on a non rigid surface can easily seperate the bond a few hooks and eyes at a time.

"Velcro has several deficiencies: it tends to accumulate hair, dust, and fur in its hooks after a few months of regular use. The loops can become elongated or broken, however this only happens after a long time. Velcro often becomes attached to articles of clothing, especially loosely woven items like sweaters. Additionally, the clothing may be damaged when one attempts to remove the Velcro, even if they are separated slowly. The tearing noise made by unfastening Velcro makes it inappropriate for some applications. For example, a soldier hiding from the enemy would not want to alert the enemy to his position by opening a velcro pocket.[7] It also absorbs moisture and perspiration when worn next to the skin, which means it can become smelly if not washed."

The preceeding was from my opponents own listed source of Wikipedia.

There you have it Velcro collects debris weakening its hold, it becomes smelly and can damage other garments.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
It actually turns out that Velcro is responsible for global warming.
Posted by revleader5 8 years ago
revleader5
But then there will be a velcro shortage crisis!!! :)
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
omg, I didn't even see that BTTF in AVGN, but he said it too.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
On second thought, I'll take this one if no one grabs it within 29.8324234 hours.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter Lakeville votebomb
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 5 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by 11ghjones 8 years ago
11ghjones
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by p1mp1na1n7eazy 8 years ago
p1mp1na1n7eazy
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Pluto2493HypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
Pluto2493HypnodocTied