Kusfraba
DJBruce

Resolved, that prostitution be made legal in the United States of America

Kusfraba

Pro

I'm going to keep my opening argument short and sweet: People can sell stuff. People can have sex. Why then, can't people sell sex?
DJBruce

Con

"People can sell stuff. People can have sex. Why then, can't people sell sex?"

When thinking about government and legal matters it is very bad to use this type of simplistic logic. By your logic I could sell a felon a handgun just becuse I can own one.

Bad logic aside there are things that are viewed as acceptable for public and others that are not acceptable for the public. Sex is one of those things that is not acceptable to have in public.
Kusfraba

Pro

I have two problems with your arguments.

1. "By your logic I could sell a felon a handgun just becuse I can own one."
Sex is not a dangerous activity, and cannot kill people, unlike guns (although arguably ANYTHING could kill someone, sex is not generally related to killing or death, unlike a gun).

2. "Sex is one of those things that is not acceptable to have in public."
Who said anything about having the proposed sold sex in PUBLIC? Legalizing prostitution does not mean legalizing public sex.

I agree that it may have been a bad idea to use "that kind of simplistic logic," but the fact remains: it applies to this case, and not of gun sales.

I'm sure that I am not the only one who can point out the differences between a bullet and a blowjob, as well as the effects they have on the human body.
DJBruce

Con

If you legalize prostitution sex will become public. Yes there might not be people having sex in the streets but it will become more public than it is now.

Also prostitution leads to an increase in both STD's and crime.
Kusfraba

Pro

I, as a debater, hoped that you would have thought up some new, stumping situation for me to wriggle out of, but seeing as you have not, I will proceed to file my disagreements with your rebuttal.

"If you legalize prostitution sex will become public. Yes there might not be people having sex in the streets but it will become more public than it is now."
Okay, there is a slogan that I find to be highly apparent in modern advertisements. "Sex sells." It's apparent all over the New York City subway trains I ride, from the Budweiser commercials with scantily clad ladies flaunting their cold, refreshing Budweiser drinks to the advertisements for page six in the newspaper. Sex is already a HIGHLY public affair. However, I do not believe that ads for prostitution will appear on my daily subway ride, nor on buses or trailing behind airplanes. When was the last time you saw a porn advertisement in public? You don't. These types of things are tucked away in the last few pages of a magazine or dirty websites. It will not become a problem.

"Also prostitution leads to an increase in both STD's and crime."
Unfortunately, you spent very little time on these subjects, so allow me to clarify these broad topics.

STDs
Legal prostitution means regulated prostitution. Just because you are having sex with a prostitute does not necessarily mean that it has to be unprotected.

Crime
I do not see how crime rates would increase. I think this is based on the illogical assertion that prostitutes always deal with criminals, and are criminals themselves.

As I have mentioned earlier, legalizing prostitution would lead to regulating prostitution, and help create a safer work environment for both parties involved.

I hope that you have enjoyed this debate.
DJBruce

Con

In 1986 Victoria Australia legalized prostitution and brothels and installed a plan to have the prostitutes registered and check by medical professionals. Shortly after starting this program the STD rates increased.

Not to mention legalizing prostitution encourages women to enter a career where they cannot make a living. In Australia the average prostitute made less than 500 Australian dollars a week.

Legalizing prostitution does not mean an end to illegal prostitution or street prostitution. 80% of the average street prostitutes are heavy drug users. 46% have children in protective. 80% of prostitutes where assaulted by either pimps or buyers.

Even with it legal it still led to crime in Victoria on average 2 rapes and one assault where reported by prostitutes per night. There where also a few prostitutes murder each year. Also it does not put an end to the illegal sex trade. Australia has an estimated $30 million sex trade industry. Oh and of all the states in Australia Victoria the had the highest number of reported child prostitution.

And legalizing prostitution but with a required condom policy does not work either. In the US 73% of prostitutes said men are willing to pay more for sex without a condom. 45% said they where abused and assaulted if they insisted men wear condoms.

And in response to the comment yes people are arrested for prostitution according to the FBI roughly 60,000 in 2002 where arrested for prostitution. That's more than rape, murder, gambling, and arson.

In conclusion prostitution should remain illegal. It should remain this way because it does nothing good for a society. It increases STD's and does nothing to reduce illegal prostitution. It leads to an increase in sex trafficking and child molestation. Drug use and violence both increase.

http://www.fbi.gov...
http://action.web.ca...
http://www.prostitutionprocon.org...
http://www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca...
http://books.google.com...
http://books.google.com...
Posted by smilingsoprano 8 years ago
smilingsoprano
I am appalled by the debate etiquette (or, more specifically, lack of it) shown by Con. Posting all your real arguments in the last round, when Pro can no longer respond, is dirty pool. It cheapens any legitimate points that you might have had, and I cannot vote for you.
Posted by DaFlipster 9 years ago
DaFlipster
clarification for "if the negative does not show that" that meaning there is no possible chance for it to work
Posted by DaFlipster 9 years ago
DaFlipster
The problem with the negative position is that it comes from biased "assumptions" rather than broad considerations. The reasons the negative posed bases it that it havent worked before however i feel that there was a need to show how its legalization wont work 100% in any way done. because id always as a judge (well im not really a judge) consider if the proposition would have a chance to work and if the negative does not show that then id always have to go aff
Posted by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
Legalizing it will lead to decriminalize it and it can be used to track diseases. Meaning, people, who have aids can have sex with people thta have AIDS and it is okay, the only reason it is not legal is because of a hidden agenda.
Posted by Kusfraba 9 years ago
Kusfraba
WHY IS ALL OF YOUR STUFF IN THE LAST ROUND???
Posted by zander 9 years ago
zander
CON had a lot to work with. To bad he doesn't take advantage. No way I could vote CON on this one.
Posted by Daxitarian 9 years ago
Daxitarian

This only happens when prostitution is made illegal.
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
DJBruce, your first round made no arguments and produced faulty logic. Your second argument is, for lack of a better word, weird. Sex will become more public? Please elaborate how.

Then you mention STD's and crime. Those are great points and very convincing of your argument, but aren't there prostitutes already increasing STD's and crime, and there is virtually nobody who has ever been convicted of prostitution, so the law isn't stopping them. Cops see prostitutes in the streets and say nothing, because it's almost impossible to prove prostitution.

"Oh I just like having sex with him and he likes giving me money so I'm happy" Resolved, no one can prove it.
Vote Placed by DJBruce 8 years ago
DJBruce
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by Milukas 8 years ago
Milukas
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by livi 8 years ago
livi
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by radical258 8 years ago
radical258
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by JimmyKerr 8 years ago
JimmyKerr
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
KusfrabaDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
KusfrabaDJBruceTied