knock_down_argument
KingDebater369

Resolved: that the flat tax is the most justified form of taxation

knock_down_argument

Pro

Definitions:
  • flat tax- a system of taxation that applies the same tax rate to all tax :

rules:

the pro side will argue in favor of the resolution, the con side will argue for the negation of the resolution, both sides will share the burden of proof.

format:

The first round will be for acceptance and introductory comments.
In the second round, opening arguments will be presented. During the third round each side will have a chance to offer a rebutal. The fourth and final round will be for closing statements in which new arguments should not be presented.

KingDebater369

Con

I accept. I look forward to a good debate. I'll present my opening argument in the next round.
knock_down_argument

Pro

First, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge as well as Debate.org for making this discussion possible. I look forward to an exciting debate. With that said I will proceed to make my opening argument.

In this debate, my two major contentions are:
1. The flat tax is the most justified method of taxation because it is the most fair.
2. The flat tax is the most justified system of taxation due to economic and political reasons.

What is a flat tax? The flat tax is a system of taxation in which every individual in a country is taxed the same percentage of his/her income, regardless of how much they earn. In addition, tax deductions, tax credits, tax shelters, and other loopholes are eliminated, and only one form of income is taxed.

A question that is often raised when considering a new tax system has to do with whether or not it is 'fair'. This further raises the question, what does it mean for something to be fair? According to http://thesaurus.com... synonyms to the term include 'unbiased' and ‘impartial'. To be impartial one must not show favoritism to any particular demographic, therefore, in order to create an impartial or unbiased tax the law must be blind to factors such as race, religion, or socio-economic status. We should not, for example, tax a rich person a greater percentage of his income than a poor person or vice versa. The flat tax meets this criteria because it does not show favoritism to any particular class, but instead applies the same tax rate to all demographics.

The purpose of taxes is not fairness alone but also the promotion of economic growth and political stability.

So how does the flat tax aid in these two areas? One of the most obvious political and economic benefits to the flat tax is its simplicity. The flat tax only taxes one form of income, so it is comparatively easy to understand; furthermore, the flat tax also has only one tax rate which further simplifies the process. This saves citizens the time and money it takes to comply with complicated tax codes, which often involves hiring accounts/lawyers or at the very least taking long periods of time trying to understand them. Perhaps more importantly, because of its simplicity it is much easier to enforce and citizens who are trying to pay their taxes are much less likely to be audited.

This kind of taxation also makes a country more productive. Because the flat tax gets rid of many forms of double-taxation – such as the capital gains, death tax and business tax— it encourages productivity and long term investment. It also gives corporations incentives to create jobs in the country due to low costs.

Finally, the flat tax puts a check on state power. Under tax systems in which governments are allowed to raise taxes on certain individuals but not on others, voters do not have to realize the full costs of the policies they vote to enact. As a result of this these citizens often vote for unsustainable policies such as endless war and unchecked social spending. Under the flat tax because taxes must be raised across the board, voters will be more cautious about enacting expensive policies and governments will be forced to spend more conservatively.

Summary:

1. The flat tax is the most fair kind of taxation because rather than tax others different amounts based on income or other factors, it taxes everyone the same rate.

2. The flat tax makes complying with and collecting taxes a much simpler process. This makes it easier for both citizen and government agency alike and reduces enforcement cost.

3. The flat tax makes a country more globally competitive because it eliminates 'double taxation'. This gives corporations an incentive to invest and manufacture whithin the country.

4. The flat tax puts a check on state power and makes voters and governments more prudent when determining a course of action.

For these reasons and because other forms of taxes such as the progressive tax do not meet these criteria, the flat tax is the most justified form of taxation.

KingDebater369

Con

I apologize but I will have to forfeit this debate. Very sorry! Maybe we can debate later. Give all points to pro.
knock_down_argument

Pro

knock_down_argument forfeited this round.
KingDebater369

Con

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.
knock_down_argument

Pro

KingDebater369

Con

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.
Posted by KingDebater369 3 years ago
KingDebater369
Alright - I'm just too excited to accept this one (and scared that someone else will accept it first :p), I will accept.
Posted by KingDebater369 3 years ago
KingDebater369
I have nothing wrong with an 8,000 character argument - But if you extend it to 10,000 characters I will accept.