rogeliosancheziii
FaR

Resolved, that the state and church should be separated from each other.

rogeliosancheziii

Con

I am a Mass Communication student and currently taking Argumentation and Debate (English VI) under our curriculum. We will be having a debate regarding the topic, "Resolved, that the state and church should be separated from each other". We are the negative side and we should prove that the state and church should be unicameral.
FaR

Pro

First thank you for updating your resolution. I hope this debate would help you with your Argumentation and Debate class.

As you have not made much arguments in your first round as instigator, and did not specify the structure of the debate, I assume this round is acceptance and start with a simple introduction; Otherwise I would be both opening and closing.

Sate usually has the monopoly of coercive force - usually by controlling the military and the only natural monopoly as Robert Nozick argued -which makes it possible for it to enforce its decisions on it citizens in its sovereign territory (jurisdiction). What makes such enforcement LEGITIMATE is what state decisions are based upon; I will argue that basing them on Religion does not.
rogeliosancheziii

Con

rogeliosancheziii forfeited this round.
FaR

Pro

FaR forfeited this round.
rogeliosancheziii

Con

rogeliosancheziii forfeited this round.
FaR

Pro

FaR forfeited this round.
rogeliosancheziii

Con

rogeliosancheziii forfeited this round.
FaR

Pro

FaR forfeited this round.
rogeliosancheziii

Con

rogeliosancheziii forfeited this round.
FaR

Pro

FaR forfeited this round.
Posted by cybertron1998 4 years ago
cybertron1998
the church and the government should stay where they are separated. the constitution says freedom of religion so even if the church was able to get in they couldn't do anything about it. also we would basically turn into a dictatorship so church stay the heck out of the government
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
750 characters... a bit short, no?
Posted by eastcoastsamuel 4 years ago
eastcoastsamuel
If you get rid of the limits on challengers, I'll accept.
Posted by tyler.schillim 4 years ago
tyler.schillim
I believe that the state and the church should be together, so I am con. The church being with the state will give the church some power to make a difference in this world and do what is right.
Posted by AlbinoBunny 4 years ago
AlbinoBunny
Is the location for this claim the United Stated of America?
Posted by xxXChelseaXxx 4 years ago
xxXChelseaXxx
Your resolution differs from which you intended. As Far said, "Resolved, That the state and church SHOULD BE separated from each other". You would otherwise be arguing as to the nature of the state, rather than the idealistic nature of the state.
Posted by Numidious 4 years ago
Numidious
It appears that I have been blocked from accepting for one reason or another. Unfortunate, as it seemed like an interesting debate and I am strongly in favour of separation between church and state.
Posted by Skynet 4 years ago
Skynet
I like the way you defined your resolution with the term unicameral. Most people just seem to gloss over separation of church and state as any trace of one in the other.
Posted by ZakYoungTheLibertarian 4 years ago
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
so you're arguing in favour of what... a theocracy?
Posted by FaR 4 years ago
FaR
I thinks your resolution should be: "Resolved, That the state and church SHOULD BE separated from each other". This is a normative form in contrast to your positive form. If you do not make this change then your resolution would be depending on which state and which church are you talking about. For example, in U.S., Germany and France such resolution is true, while in UK, Iran and Vatican City it is not.
If you mean they should be separated; I would be happy to argue on Pro side that they should be.