HighscoolStudent
ithink-ithink

Restricted Freedom

HighscoolStudent

Con

"China is launching a comprehensive "credit score" system, and the more I learn about it, the more nightmarish it seems. China appears to be leveraging all the tools of the information age"electronic purchasing data, social networks, algorithmic sorting"to construct the ultimate tool of social control. It is, as one commentator put it, "authoritarianism, gamified." - ACLU

How do you feel about this?
What could this mean for the people?
What is your opinion on the concept of a "Credit Score System"
ithink-ithink

Pro

I think it is important to begin by outline other systems which have similarly been put into place. There is a vast amount of data collected from Goodle, Facebook, Amazon, banks, the NSA... the list goes on. Have you seen the Suggested for Me panels on these sites? In the same way these entities are collecting vast amounts of data on you; your spending habits, your preferences, your dislikes, your political views, China is planning on creating a database. There is no difference.

But the argument here is whether or not that imposes on your freedom? I can agree that the use of this data would be an infringement on your freedoms and even this is arguable as I will go into, but the collection of the data into a database is not - it is instead an attack on your privacy. Now, while there has been shown to be a relationship between security and freedom, there is not one that has been established between privacy and freedom, so long as the private data is not used, as far as I am aware.

The reality is that it will be used, and therefore infringe on your freedom by way of manipulation. The degree to which it is actually manipulation is also arguable, however, as the suggestions and channeling that they tailored to you is in fact, based on your original preferences, ideals, habits etc. So is it really manipulation? Or just personalisation?
The other important point to make here is the fact that knowledge of the existence of these tools will make you slightly more immune to the effects; as in advertisement. If you see an advertisement, and you keep in mind that the goal of the advertisement is to make you buy something or make you think a certain way, and analyse how the advertisement is doing so, you are able to minimise or completely block out the subliminal effect of the advertisement, by overriding your subconscious with your analytical brain. If you believe that the personalisation/manipulation is a breach on your freedom, you yourself can do something about it, and minimise that attack on your freedoms.

This leads me to my final point. As with all rights, society ends up having to balance the rights of some groups with the rights of others. In this case, there are a large proportion of people who do not care if their data is collected, if it means that their activities can be made more personalised and therefore streamlining their own lives, so they can spend less time looking for the things they want, so they have more time to enjoy the things they want - after they've purchased them, then they will not care about their breach of privacy, and they won't see it as a breach on freedom.
In general, I'd say that this is a majority of people, and, as they say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".
HighscoolStudent

Con

HighscoolStudent forfeited this round.
ithink-ithink

Pro

For sake of fairness, I wont be posting any argument in this round.

I would just like to say that in the next round I will expand more onto the subject of the credit score aspect, as I noticed that I went a little too theoretical and didnt focus on the problem of the credit score system itself :)
HighscoolStudent

Con

HighscoolStudent forfeited this round.
ithink-ithink

Pro

-------------------------------
HighscoolStudent

Con

HighscoolStudent forfeited this round.
ithink-ithink

Pro

ithink-ithink forfeited this round.
HighscoolStudent

Con

HighscoolStudent forfeited this round.
ithink-ithink

Pro

ithink-ithink forfeited this round.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
A 45 year old high school student?