3DWaffle
Ehsom

Retard is not a hate word.

Ehsom
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

3DWaffle

Pro

Regards definition is "delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." yet schools teach special ed that being called this is bad when its not.
Ehsom

Con

First, I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.

You aren"t using the definition of "retard" people generally use. While, yes, the first definition listed on google is what you write, but that"s the verb form. When people call someone a retard, they are referring to the noun, which is defined as "a person who has a mental disability"[1]. Now that we know what people mean, we can decide to what extent it is a hate word.

A hate word is a word that conveys a hateful meaning. While it could be used to genuinely mean someone with a mental disability, it rarely is used so. In fact, I"ve never seen it used not to be as an insult. Insults are not a loving thing; they are used to hurt people"s feelings, which is hateful. It is, therefore, a hate word because it exhibits "extreme dislike"[2] towards disabled people.

1. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
2. http://www.dictionary.com...
3DWaffle

Pro

Thank you,

Con, as you said in argument 2.) "I"ve never seen it used not to be as an insult. " yet you didn't address my third point that school really put it out that way. If you have taken the peer held or class ( I won't talk about specific students due to confidentially) then you should know they take a word used to describe a person with mental disorders by taking it and changed its definition.

1.
"a mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse)." Is the real meaning of retard as a noun. This way of use is said,by doctors because that is the correct way to describe someone with mental disabilities, but schools take this and they teach them to think that the word is used to hurt oroutcast them when it truly just is another way to say mentally ill.

"Intellectual disability, also (sometimes proscriptively) known as mental retardation, is defined as an IQ below 70 along with limitations in adaptive functioning and onset before the age of 18 years." this is the definition of intellectual disability where in the definition uses retardation a way of saying regard is used, but where is the hate.-(please note I loved working as a peer tutor and the students are super nice but I feel this is important for them to relize.)- schools take this word change its meaning and turn it into a hate word when by definition it is a word used simply to describe mentally illnesses.
Ehsom

Con

Your "point" is not arguing the topic, whether or not retard is a hate word - it"s arguing if it should be. This means that you aren"t arguing what you advertised the debate would be about and you are attempting to link in tenuously related arguments. You then talk about how people have changed the definition. This is totally irrelevant - languages change and evolve due to different uses. If you look at English throughout time, it"s had many internal and external influences(mostly the latter) that have made it change[1]. It is just as valid as any of the other influences. Languages evolve, and to reject a meaning because it wasn"t originally said meaning is intellectually dishonest.

Okay, so I already defined it as the same, except I didn"t include the part about it being a term of abuse. Because it is "often used as a general term of abuse" it is a hate word. That is what we are referring to when we talk about "hate words". You then talk about how it"s a medical term to describe someone with mental disabilities. Due to the general consensus that it"s bad or wrong to have a mental disability[2], we can conclude that a term that refers to a mentally handicapped person will be used hatefully, therefore is a hate word. Then, again, you say about how schools teach that "the word is used to hurt". I would remind you that that we are not arguing if the term should be used derogatorily, rather whether it is or not. If what you say is true(you haven"t provided any evidence), that would prove that it is being used as a hate word and not otherwise.

Now you are arguing that a different word is not a hate word which is dishonest because you aren"t arguing for the point - we have already established that it is "often used as a general term of abuse"(see your post on round two and my definition"s source). Hate is normally conveyed via abuse(verbal, physical, etc.) so it is a hate word. Also, look at source two again,it shows that in the UK(the homeland of the English language) that there is a general intolerance towards those less intellectually capable or mentally disabled. This means that they will use the word to conduct their hatred towards the group. Again, you make the school point. This is, as I have already said, not arguing the topic, rather if the word should be a hate word or not. I will reiterate for hopefully the final time that we are talking about if it is a hate word or not, not if it should be or not. Please stop debating other topics.

Then you talk about how the word "retard" is used simply to describe mental illness, which is - again - ignoring that words change; words lose and gain meanings, derogatory and hateful or otherwise. Because the English language changes so frequently, the word "retarded" has gained a hateful meaning. It is, therefore, a hate word.

1. http://www.wordorigins.org...
2. Table 2.1, https://www.gov.uk...
3DWaffle

Pro

Thank you this was an amazing debate I have no argue that you will win this debate. I would like this round to not include any more arguments.
Congrats you did amazing.
Ehsom

Con

Thanks, you did okay as well - your points were okay, you just need to make sure you stick to the topic. Thank you again, and goodbye.
Posted by 3DWaffle 1 month ago
3DWaffle
Oh yeah hate word meaning loathe or dislike ECT directed towards and object animal or person in this case a person
Posted by 3DWaffle 1 month ago
3DWaffle
Not sick but "dick"
Posted by 3DWaffle 1 month ago
3DWaffle
Sick being a mans penis and douche being vaginal wash are not hate words like anything people take them and corrupt its meaning they are merely words and their definitions have nothing to do with hate.
Posted by sboss18 1 month ago
sboss18
Define "hate word".

Also, would you be willing to argue that other similarly-disparaging terms like "douche" and "dick" are not "hate words" because of their literal definitions?
Vote Placed by TheRussian 1 month ago
TheRussian
3DWaffleEhsomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con correctly noted the "real" way the term is most often used, and Pro pretty much conceded at the end there.