Cupcake12
DStallman

Rhythmic or Artistic gymnastics are better than any other sport

Started: 1/5/2017 Category: Sports

Cupcake12

Con

There are better sports, for which you need to train harder, and don't hurt your back or overstretch with
DStallman

Pro

I don't know of a single sport whose athletes would not be able to effectively argue points as to why their particular sport is "better."

However, given your supporting argument, I'm personally having a hard time even understanding which side of this argument you're on, given that the title says that Rhythmic/Artistic gymnastics are "better than any other sport," but your argument seems to be against that claim. Perhaps you should clarify your actual stance in the next round so we can have a more legitimate debate.
Cupcake12

Con

I just needed to get some good arguments for why gymnastics is the best sport ever since I'm doing a debate with a friend
DStallman

Pro

Now that I know which side I'm supposed to be on, here's some arguments for why Rhythmic/Artistic Gymnastics is the best sport:

1. The sport allows more self-expression than other sports do.
2. It is in the Olympics, which indicates its widespread popularity and thus its merit.
3. The amount of physical training required in order to do well in the sport is incredibly high, and develops many athletic skills beyond those achieved in other sports, particularly in regards to the athletes' endurance.
4. The amount of training required by the sport means that the athletes must have started at a very young age in order to excel, unlike other sports, such as swimming, running, football, or tennis, which one can pick up at almost any time during adolescence and young-adulthood and attain a high level of excellence in the sport.
Cupcake12

Con

Thanks!!! Also, do you mind explaining your 3rd point please because don't you need a lot of training for all sports0
DStallman

Pro

Sure thing. Many sports, such as football, baseball, and basketball, do not require a large amount of endurance to excel in. While they do require a higher endurance level than that of the average person, compared to some other sports endurance is not as emphasized.

Rhythmic/Artistic Gymnastics, however, is a different story. The amount of continuous, intense power that gymnasts need to continually exert requires not a only a high level of strength and flexibility, but also large amounts of endurance. After all, nearly any athlete could do a small portion of a gymnast's routine with little difficulty depending on their strengths, but to do an entire routine requires more endurance than most other athletes have. The only other mainstream sports that I can think of that also require high endurance levels are soccer, water polo, and certain other types of gymnastics.

Hope this helps!