WatchWoman
Psychedelic

Rick Grimes is better than Daryl Dixon

Psychedelic
Started: 2/25/2014 Category: TV

WatchWoman

Pro

I really enjoy the Walking Dead. Its a great show but I find the character of Daryl Dixon a bit ridiculous anymore. I feel that the fan girls have made it difficult for him to be killed off or be taken seriously and that the general populace would rather follow the character development of D.D. than R.G.
The reason Rick is better (other than the fact the comics mostly follow him) is also that he is a more rounded character. Daryl's story is neat but in this show the real feels come from Rick, we watch him suffer as a parent, significant other and a leader.
Daryl is more of a lieutenant and his story seems flat.

This is all opinion based so how you respond is up to you. Just no trolls.
Psychedelic

Con

I also very much The Walking Dead, but Daryl Dixon happens to be one of my top favorite characters, and not just because I am a girl, but because he contributes a lot to the group and has a lot of very creative ways to kill walkers. Yes, Rick is has been the main focus character throughout the entire show, and he has had to struggle a lot, but Daryl Dixon is definitely not a flat character. He is one of the characters who has shown the most development on TWD. He started out with a hard outer shell, not willing to open up to anybody, but as the show has went on, he has opened up to the group and has made many difficult decisions that went against who he was in the beginning of the show, such as going back to the prison when he was out with Merle.
Daryl may not be the leader of the group, but he is stronger, more than physically, than Rick. Daryl is definitely a dynamic character, and his story is not flat whatsoever.
WatchWoman

Pro

I will concede that his story is not as flat as first perceived but that doesn't make him a better character. You could say all the same things you just said about Daryl, about Rick.
I feel there is a lot more depth to Rick. Where as Daryl is growing as a person or human being we see different layers of Rick. Daryl has to choose if he is going to be the same person he was or if he is going to grow and change. You don't have to have zombies for that. You could write the same story in any reality. Rick is the character who is dealing with a natural disaster and due to that has to change several ways.
Rick has to become a leader to protect his family and decide if others are worth protecting as well, challenging his humanity. He is challenged throughout each episode, his character is 3 dimensional. Next we have the thought, are humans naturally callous? When he has to kill others or sacrifice his safety. Then after his wife dies we see him grieving and dealing with that and trying to still take care of others.
"In Season 3 Episode 10 (Home), Rick sees Lori in a white dress, standing over her own grave. He is able to reach out to her and feel her touch his face. To Rick, the experience is real. But the voices and visions begin to frighten Rick, who realizes that if the images are all in his head, he must be crazy. Without anyone around him to validate his experiences and remind him that this is the normal process of healing after losing a loved one, he starts to believe he"s unraveling." - Andrea http://www.underthemaskonline.com...
When have we ever seen anything deeper than anger or change from Daryl? He as a "henchman" to Rick never has to make hard decisions. The most difficult thing he has to decide is between Merle or the Prison. To be a racist redneck or not to be?
Psychedelic

Con

Daryl does have many layers, you just have to look closely, which makes him even more interesting. He is complex enough that you have to dig deep to see what is really happening in his mind, for he has been known for generally trying to hide his emotions. This makes him a more interesting character to follow because you have to analyze him, and that is not as necessary when it comes to Rick. Following Rick's reactions and attitudes is much more obvious, and to me, that isn't as interesting.
Though the writers haven't put Daryl in as many pressing situations as Rick, it is my firm belief that if he was put into more situations like the ones that Rick is put into, he would have the same, if not better, ability to handle them. Daryl is more sound mentally and physically, which makes him better in the sense that he has more ability to do what he needs to do, whether it's psychological, or a matter of strength. These advantages that Daryl has over Rick make him a better asset to the group.
"When have we ever seen anything deeper than anger or change from Daryl?"
We have seen his compassion, and we have witnessed him going through grief. In Season 2 Episode 4 (Cherokee Rose), the search for Sophia was still raging, and while Daryl was searching for her, he found a Cherokee Rose, which symbolizes the pain and grief of mothers. He gave that flower to Carol, the mother who was in excruciating pain from the absence of her daughter. "I'm not fool enough to think there's any flowers blooming for my brother, but I believe this one bloomed for your little girl." -Daryl http://www.amctv.com...
We have also seen him go through grief when Merle died. Though it was a brief scene, Daryl broke down when he found the walker of his brother, and that was a very deep emotional breakthrough for Daryl.
It is true that Rick has also gone through a tremendous amount of change throughout the series, but I have found Daryl's changes to have been more dramatic.

I really like that "To be a racist redneck or not to be?" line. Though Daryl has chosen to throw away that racist side of him, he will always be that redneck.
WatchWoman

Pro

He is complex enough that you have to dig deep to see what is really happening in his mind, for he has been known for generally trying to hide his emotions." That I feel is more of wishful thinking. Being dark, sad and trying to hide your emotions doesn't make a compelling character. Unless you can dive into this and show why he is trying to hide certain things it doesn't really matter when everyone and thing is trying to kill you.
The writers haven't put him into situations where he has to make the same situations as Rick because he wouldn't put himself into those situations. Daryl isn't a leader, he is a follower and takes orders. That is most evident when he follows Merle out of Woodbury. He struggles with his allegiance to the group and the bond with his brother. In the season 2 finale Rick says "This isn't a democracy anymore." He then gives everyone an out. Daryl does not take it. When there is a panel in the prison we rarely hear an opinion at all from him. The most we hear out of him this season is his outrage with Carol being kicked out. You cannot say well if he was put into these situations that Rick was put into he would rise to the occasion. Daryl wouldn't put himself into those situations.
You say that he is more sound mentally and physically. So at this point maybe physically because Rick got the snot kicked out of him but if you take each character and put them into their prime Rick used to kick guys like Daryl's butt for a living. If we get into this hypothetical situation where they have to fight I firmly believe Rick would win. There is no way to prove this because they both have proven themselves at being able to kill walkers and people when they needed to. There is no reference to pull from to say who would come out on top.
Mentally Rick is more sound. It doesn't seem that way due to his hallucinating after Lori died but lets get into that psychology. Vaughan Bell, professor in the department of psychiatry at the Universidad de Antioquia, Medell"n, Colombia. Says "Mourning seems to be a time when hallucinations are particularly common, to the point where feeling the presence of the deceased is the norm rather than the exception." http://www.scientificamerican.com... So him hallucinating and mourning is incredibly normal even when the death isn't horrific or in a zombie apocalypse. Daryl lost his brother, that being incredibly sad cannot compare to a life partner. Not saying that in real life one is worse or the other but for this case considering what Rick went through and is continuing to go through he is dealing quite well. We see Daryl dealing with his brothers death by ugly crying and shutting down for a bit. By your own words, Daryl needs to be dug at. We don't know whats going through his head. He might be a ticking time bomb. So that makes for an interesting story but actually makes him less valuable to the group as everyone needs to be at their best.
You can say that Daryl's transformations are more dramatic but I strongly disagree with that. Even if you prefer him over Rick, I feel part of the appeal of Daryl is that there isn't as much drama with him.
With Rick we have a Love triangle after a major shoot out that landed him in the hospital to begin with. Struggles of a leader, father and husband. What is right when it came to Shane. How to handle certain personalities (Daryl included) and make sure everyone doesn't kill each other. Playing politics with Hershel and The Governor. Daryl owes Rick his life and without Rick this whole series would be dull.

Glad I could make you Lol. Though someone explain to me why redneck is a positive adjective! Another debate maybe? Lol
Psychedelic

Con

My argument is pretty much nonexistent because I am at school right now and the end of the debate period is while I'm at school, so I will not be able to put together my argument. I will commend you on your rebuttals, and I thank you for the debate.
Daryl is still my favorite character, though you have provided many good arguments for Rick.
Posted by Psychedelic 2 years ago
Psychedelic
If you really want to see some dynamic, deep Daryl Dixon, watch the most recent episode. Season 4 Episode 12 "Still". He made me cry.
Posted by Psychedelic 2 years ago
Psychedelic
I personally don't mind. When I was writing my argument, I was making the point that I wasn't just being a fan girl about it. Thank you for clarifying though. :)
Posted by WatchWoman 2 years ago
WatchWoman
Hey people, just to let you know when I made that comment about fan girls... Know that I am a girl as well so it wasn't a sexist comment.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Qualifications for 'better than' should have been listed.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
"To be a racist redneck or not to be?"
I lol'd.
Vote Placed by ambivalentsoul 2 years ago
ambivalentsoul
WatchWomanPsychedelicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not only do I agree with con just because it's my own opinion but I don't believe that just because girls like Daryl, doesn't mean that he's becoming less of a good character. Look where Rick is right now and then look where Daryl is. Daryl is being way more effective. Anyway, although con didn't have a final statement, they had a more reliable source and overall better arguments.