Mikal
GodChoosesLife

Rick Perry Should be elected President

Mikal

Mikal

Con

I am challenging GodChoosesLife to a debate about whether or not Rick Perry should be elected as president of the United States. I am doing this primarily because of the fact that she is one of the only open supporters of him that I have ever seen on here.

Basic rules apply.

No new arguments shall be presented in the last round, it is meant for just rebuttals and re building your points. First round is for acceptance. FF shall result in lose of conduct points while multiples one can result in a full 7 point ff at the discretion of the voters.
GodChoosesLife

Pro

I accept and look forward to this debate. Thank you.
Mikal

Con

Welcome one and all. We are going to be entering into a debate about whether Rick Perry would make a good president.

Good for the purpose of this debate shall be define as

Good - effective, beneficial to the economy, implement laws that will help us more than hurt us as a nation

There will be no semantics about perspective. This is not a debate about whether certain people consider him a good man, but whether or not he will be effective in a roll as president. So lets jump straight into this

Education Policy

Throughout Texas this man has headed the efforts of some of the worst educational decisions that I have ever seen. In 2011 Governor Perry cut 4-5 billion dollars from the education fund in Texas. Even after the budge was passed in 2013 the state was only able to recover about 1 million dollars out of this.

"The two-year spending plan represents an 8 percent increase from the last budget passed in 2011, which cut $15 billion in government spending, including $5.4 billion for public schools."[1]

In addition to cutting spending, Texas is also promoted religious based alternative to evolution in science class. They are trying to find alternative means to work in creationism or leave it open for interpretation. [2]

Texas is also rated 49 in the counter at per student spending. This is also a metric that is derived to measure the health of the current education system in a said state. [3] Mix this in with the fact that Texas law makers are pushing for the requirement for high school seniors to take upper level math and science classes. [4]

Next lets take a look at Allen Highschool. This school claims a 60 million dollar football stadium[5]. This was ran by Perry himself and was approved, and in the same district teachers are being laid off for lack of money.

The one thing we can surely note is this man is a plague to educational system of the state of Texas, and if elected to the United States as a whole.

Texas Debt

The debt of the state of Texas is a downward plunge. According to usdebtclock.org, the debt to GDP ratio in Texas is 22.9% and the debt per citizen is $10,645. In California (one of the worst cases), the debt to GDP ratio is just 18.7% and the debt per citizen is only $9932. This demonstrates how much of a mess Texas is in. [6]

The total debt by Texas alone is a monumental number. $ 40,992,268 [6]. Note this number is not to big in itself but when you compare the debt ratio in terms of per citizen, it is incredible.

Minimum Wage and Jobs

In 2007 there were only around 221,000 citizens making minimum wage. Meaning that the economy was doing verily well. Most of the citizens were actually near 1.5 x that amount. By 2010 and under some of Perry's orders and polices that number nearly doubled to 550,000. [7]

Open Stance on Gay marriage.

Ever wonder about his stance on gay marriage. This guy is an out of the closet gay hater. He despises and detest gay marriage. His political campaign video was a bumbling screw up that cost him the presidency in the long wrong. He was criticized and loathed for his open hate toward gay people.

This ad was called "strong". He was quoted saying

"you know there is something wrong in this country when gays can openly serve in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in schools"[8]

This was the knife in the heart to his presidency. In addition tot his Perry has also cut funding to gay marriage avenues. Some up to 70 percent of their funding has been slashed. [9]

Abortion

Think is stance on gay marriage is bad. Wait to you hear about his stance on abortion. Perry is in direct opposition to abortion. Think that 70 percent number on how he cut funding to gay couples is bad? He has cut 90 percent of some of the planned parenthood and abortion organizations funding. [10]

He has also singed a bill to ban abortions after the 20 week mark in pregnancy. This was even including cases where the mother could die. This law does not discriminate. It stops abortion in all situations, even those where the mothers health is in danger. [10]

Secession.

This guy has even flirted with the idea of seceded from the states. Before he can make a proper president he needs to decide if he actually wants to be a part it.

Back in 2009, during Perry's bumpy reelection race, the governor told a Tea Party crowd:

"There's a lot of different scenarios...We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

This man is a religious fanatic who thinks separation of church and state is a travesty. He has constantly pushed his own ideals over the peoples wants and needs. He does not need to holy any political office, much less be president.

[1] http://www.dallasnews.com...
[2] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
[3] http://www.fastexas.org...
[4] http://www.dallasnews.com...
[5] http://espn.go.com...
[6] http://www.usdebtclock.org....
[7] http://americanindependent.com...
[8] see youtube video , probably will be at the top right of the page. If not click the link.
[9] http://www.politifact.com...
[10] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
GodChoosesLife

Pro

Hello and thank you for the debate. I must apologize for I haven’t had the equipped time as I would like to research and what not to refute as hard to your arguments here. For now, I will just ask questions and make comments as my way of refuting. But I will say you did a fine job presenting your argument. Thank you again.

Education Policy

In addition to cutting spending, Texas is also promoted religious based alternative to evolution in science class. They are trying to find alternative means to work in creationism or leave it open for interpretation. [2] <- what is wrong with that though?

Texas is also rated 49 in the counter at per student spending. This is also a metric that is derived to measure the health of the current education system in a said state. [3] Mix this in with the fact that Texas law makers are pushing for the requirement for high school seniors to take upper level math and science classes. [4] <- Why is that wrong?

Next let’s take a look at Allen High school. This school claims a 60 million dollar football stadium [5]. This was run by Perry himself and was approved, and in the same district teachers are being laid off for lack of money. The one thing we can surely note is this man is a plague to educational system of the state of Texas, and if elected to the United States as a whole.

Okay, let’s say you did not involve at all with good intentions, do you think things would have been better off than for someone such as Rick Perry to have made mistakes like any person does in life with educational matters?

Texas Debt

I don’t see relevance to this, since the whole American country is in the debt together as a whole do to past presidents and even to the current one.

Open Stance on Gay marriage.

I do not see how this is considered hate speech since he did not use any profane or vulgar language by that quotes stance? Maybe I’m misunderstanding?

This was the knife in the heart to his presidency. In addition to this Perry has also cut funding to gay marriage avenues. Some up to 70 percent of their funding has been slashed. [9]

Some people actually hold to the Bible’s views of not supporting for things that are against God. So I can see that Perry’s view is basically just holding to his views and implementing them to protect Texas.

Abortion

Again, Perry does not agree with the world’s stances on things and therefore is holding up to his beliefs; which is really rare for people to do. He does not agree with killing an unborn child, it is not the child’s fault it was conceived in the mother’s womb. If it time for the mother to go then it is her time. Everyone will one day die. But using abortion as a means to justify the deaths of innocent children is no excuse. Perry is a man that does not care what others think or say. That is part of being a firm person of their beliefs. Not many can live up to that as he does which gives him more of a reason to being the president one day.

Secession.

“This guy has even flirted with the idea of seceded from the states. Before he can make a proper president he needs to decide if he actually wants to be a part it.”

He has actually. Or he wouldn’t be resigning his position as the Governor of Texas.

According to your accusations, maybe, but who is to say that his ideals are not really necessary for the safety and concern for the people? And what is wrong with being a religious person? If he is religious it gives him grounds to implement something just like former presidents have in the past.

again, my apologies for being so brief and not too expounding..

Mikal

Con

Let's go into some refutations. This will be pretty short and sweet since a lot of the contentions were dropped.

Education Policy

The entire premise behind my contentions was dropped on this. She claims that Rick Perry makes mistakes like anyone else as her rebuttal. This is something I am sure we are all aware of. Everyone can make mistakes, but the issue is that the person making them would be running for president. The mistakes he made were also intentional. He chose to approve a 60 million dollar football stadium while teachers were being laid off in the same school do to budget cuts. This is a matter of priority and making the right choices.

The student to debt ratio was not even touched, so I will leave this point standing.

Texas Debt

This was entirely dropped because Pro did not see how it was relevant. It is entirely relevant because the issue at hand is whether or not the decisions he is making/has made as a governor were helpful or beneficial to the state. If they were not made carefully or hurt people more than they helped, we can assume he may not be qualified for the position of president. Texas. The debt per citizen in Texas is over 10,000 dollars as I mentioned in my previous argument. This is a huge number and partially and mostly thanks to the governors choices.

Stance on Gay Marriage.

Even in spite of separation of church and state in legal affairs. Con justifies this by saying she can see how he would approve this. A stance on the bible is someones choice to have but also must be separated from their duty as president. No one should make decisions because of their religious beliefs, it should be made from a bi partisan stand point.

Stance on Abortion

From what I gather Pro supports his stance on abortion by saying the mother should die to save the child. This is disregarding the fact that both the mother and child could die if the pregnancy went threw in some cases. That the family has no say in this whatsoever. Pro is approving and supporting a bill that was in the process of being based, that would ban all 20 week + abortion, even in the case of death or illness of the mother. While some abortions may be not able to be justified rationally, in a case where the mother could die the choice should remain with the family, and should not be forced on them because of the Governors on religious views.

Secession.

This was not even touched

Pro has did said or shown nothing to demomstrate that Rick Perry would make a good or effective president in the USA. She has simply acknolwedge and agreed with most of elite statements such as banning abortion in cirucmstances that coudl cause death, cutting funding from a majority of gay marriage programs, and his bad education policies.

She justifies this with him being religious

She says

" And what is wrong with being a religious person? If he is religious it gives him grounds to implement something just like former presidents have in the past."

This is a fundamental error in how someone should make decisions. No president should make choices because of what they believe due to their religion. They should make choices that benefit the nation as a whole, even if it goes against what they believe spiritually.

While all choices will be subjective and dependent on the presidents perspective in some regards, rationalizing religion as a way to make choices opens the chance of it to act as a catalyst and induce extremist stances within the government. That is the entire reason and point of separation of church and state.

I ask you, does this man sound like he will make a good President? He has made bills and policies that have sunk Texas in debt, made teachers loose their jobs because he approved a football field over educational funding, and also condemned mothers to die because of his religious belief. This man is not fit for any office, much less presidency.

GodChoosesLife

Pro

Thank you again for the debate. Again I am very sorry for not having a more thorough emphasis and broader refutes, but thank you for your patience and time. Best wishes to Con because he did an awesome job! :)

For my final words, Rick Perry will either become president or he will not. Past things should not be overlooked, of course, but they also should not be used against him either. Everyone must learn one way or another even if it was intentional or not. Point is, when re-election occurs new things should be implemented by Rick Perry to avoid any attacks of past things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with clinging to the belief system to which Rick Perry believes or anyone else for that matter. Each new president always chooses what they believe is best whether by using the Bible, religion or not; something is chosen for the sake of what a president thinks is best. That is simply what Rick Perry does.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
I am amazed at what people notice from me ... That's cool though ... I guess it lets me know people do actually pay attention ...
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
MikalGodChoosesLifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: There is simply not enough response out of Pro on Con's case. There's too much going cold dropped. Even if I buy everything Pro says in response, and even if I conclude that her questions are appropriate, it's not enough, and I'm stuck looking at massive debt, huge educational issues, defunding programs based off of personal beliefs alone, more people on minimum wage, and mixed messages regarding the state of the U.S. That's enough for me to easily pull the trigger for Con. His sources are also significant within the round, as they're the only ones. However, I do give Pro spelling and grammar. Mikal, read over your posts before you post them, there's just a lot of mistakes I couldn't overlook.