Molly14
SweetSweetNeck

Rights of lesbian mothers

Molly14

Pro

I believe that lesbian mothers who have children out of a heterosexual relationship should not have to fight for custody based solely on the fact that they identify as lesbians. I see this scenario as being no different than any other heterosexual relationship that goes array. Why is it that that as soon as a mother comes out as a lesbian she is suddenly deemed unfit to raise her children?
SweetSweetNeck

Con

I will be taking the stance on the rights and well being of the children. I will argue from the prompt, in saying my position is that homosexual relationships, including lesbians, have no right to raise children. I will include in my debate for the sake of the posters specific scenario, but will also expand the reasoning to cover all homosexual couples. I will include before the debate that I am pro gay rights in matters of being recognized as a union, and that they should have the same rights as any other married couple in terms of insurance policies and other financial matters. But I also believe that homosexuality goes out of the boundaries of seeking truth through God, and goes out of the boundaries of scientific design. I will then pose my main argument that children should not be able to e brought up in any unfit environment, which in my argument will include a homosexual run household.
Molly14

Pro

If an individual claims to be pro gay rights, how is it possible to exclude parental rights from the subject? If we are speaking specifically about Gay and Lesbian rights, it seems logical that parental rights would be included.
SweetSweetNeck

Con

"If an individual claims to be pro gay rights"

This is a misrepresentation of my opinion. I specifically listed the matters in which I believe homosexuals should be given the basic civil rights of all citizens, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, and race. The reason I believe these are rights that don't affect or infringe on any other persons basic rights.

"how is it possible to exclude parental rights from the subject"

It is holistically possible to have a position that supports homosexual couples not having rights raise children. This question in my opinion is in bad form. To pose a question, "how is it even possible for you to have position that contrasts mine?" is nearly the most nonproductive comment you can say in a debate. It goes without saying that our views differ considering we are debating the subject at hand.

"it seems logical that parental rights would be included."

I don't follow that line of logic you speak of, and would appreciate a more in depth explanation of that line of logic in your next counter argument. No where in the 14th amendment of the constitution does it give anyone the RIGHT to have a child. The only ones that have the explicit RIGHT to have a child are the two people that made them. Even then, if one parent shows significant behavior that is deemed to be in the nature that is unfit for parenting, the biological parent can loose the right to own that child. In the case of my opponents argument, he or she states that if a homosexual mother should not have any challenge or acknowledgment that she is now in a relationship of homosexual nature is in my opinion unreasonable. When a couple goes to court to settle a matter of divorce, often if not all the time, if kids are involved, and both parents are seeking full custody, the kids are the main matter that both parents are concerned with. Also, in the same wavelength, the kids are the matter that that court is most involved with. Things as menial as a credit score, financial means to support the children, past criminal records even if they are committed as minors, the amount of time that has been spent with the children, any specific incidents that may not be deem a parent unfit, but deem them less fit than the opposing parent...this list goes on, and lawyers often go deeper into personal, work, religious habit to slander there opponents client.

Questions:

If something as menial as a parents work habits in 1985 can affect the outcome of as custody case, how can you justify the opinion that the fact that the children could be going into an environment of a homosexual household should not even be an issue to be considered? My point in this question is while you believe that the homosexual component of the mothers case should not even be brought up, in reality there are things that carry far less weight that already are a part of the normal procedure.

Let shift gears and consider the father. As I am a father of a little four year old girl, I have a personal take on this. Is it fair that an perfectly fit father who does not believe in the concept of homosexually run household loose his child to a household of that nature? In the case of winning joint custody, should that father, who can offer the children a home that is within the God seeking barriers that his children have been raised on, and within the scientific design, meaning a a household that is naturally able to make children, which I am of the opinion supports the fact that they are scientifically apt to raise them; be made to have them flip flop from the natural household to the unnatural household?
Molly14

Pro

Simply put, I feel that by stating you are pro Gay Rights, yet not on the subject of parental rights is completely contradictory to the position you are taking. I am in no way indicating that because your opinion differs with mine it is in any way less relevant. I am arguing however, that I do not see how a person can say they are pro gay rights yet pick and choose what rights should be afforded. In my opinion, either you are pro gay rights or not.
SweetSweetNeck

Con

SweetSweetNeck forfeited this round.
Posted by SweetSweetNeck 3 years ago
SweetSweetNeck
24 hours is steep for a deadline. I wish we could have extended this debate. In my view, my opponent completely ignored the debate topic, and centered her complete argument on what I defined as por gay rights.
Posted by Molly14 3 years ago
Molly14
I was speaking about lesbian mothers and their biological children, although I feel the same about lesbian mothers and their adopted children.
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
So, are these homosexual mothers, mothers that have actually birthed children, and not just adopted them?
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja