Proving_a_Negative
Tanman517

Risk Strategy: Australia is the best beginning continent.

Started: 3/5/2015 Category: Games

Proving_a_Negative

Con

Pro will argue that whoever obtains Australia first has a decisive advantage over the rest of the players and will therefore statically win more often. As con, I will argue that Australia is overrated; it doesn't give the player an advantage compared to other possible opening strategies. I recommend that you be very familiar with Risk the board game if you like to accept. I have completed over a thousand games.

Rules:
-5 player match
-all players are equally familiar with the game
-the players may or may not be emotionally attached to the game (they could get upset if you attack them or something similar)
-the version of Risk is Risk: Factions. The main difference between traditional and this is that instead of cards, you get stars for attacking and winning battles. You get either 1 star or 2 stars for each turn you successfully attack. The maximum trade in is 10 stars for 30 troops. The troop to star ratio increases as the number of stars you trade in increases. There are other differences but I don't think they will come up for the purpose of this debate. If you have any questions about the rules just ask in the comments.
-BoP is entirely on pro.
-I am only allowed to use rebuttals. We are assuming that the resolution is false unless pro's argument can withstand my rebuttal and still be convincing.

Format:
Round 1: Pro's opening argument
Round 2: Rebuttals
Round 3: Additional Arguments from Pro and more Rebuttals
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Closing Statement

Good luck to pro.
Tanman517

Pro

I think that Australia is a great place to start, first of all it is easy to take it at first and once you have it, it is very hard to be taken away from you. With only a very small part of Asia with access to it makes a very good bottle neck for fighting, were you can pool all of your military force. It also gives you a starter advantage to get more people faster than your allies, therefore you can use those men to overpower them and take other continents.
Proving_a_Negative

Con

Rebuttal
"I think that Australia is a great place to start, first of all it is easy to take it at first"

Not if everybody has the same idea as you. When two people have territory in Australia and use this logic, it becomes all out war within the first few turns. One or both of the people will have almost no chance of recovery.

"it is very hard to be taken away from you. With only a very small part of Asia with access to it makes a very good bottle neck for fighting, were you can pool all of your military force."

It is indeed difficult to take away. However, there is one problem. You only have room for expansion in Asia. Asia has the absolute worst bonus troop to borders ratio of all continents (and Australia does have the best). The problem is, Australia can only help you so much. If somebody gains control over Australia and parts of Asia, it gives them little help for somebody who owns most of the west.

"It also gives you a starter advantage to get more people faster than your allies, therefore you can use those men to overpower them and take other continents."

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say. You may have more power than any single person in the game, but you have no chance against the combined efforts of all players. To actually win against skilled players, you need to stay low and work up a huge attack. Once you attack, you will either eliminate players or become too powerful for all of them. If somebody is dangerously close to winning (having more than their share of the power), everybody will team up to destroy you. People who have Australia are immediately recognized as threats and players will typically not tolerate you trying to expand at all.
Tanman517

Pro

Tanman517 forfeited this round.
Proving_a_Negative

Con

Proving_a_Negative forfeited this round.
Tanman517

Pro

Tanman517 forfeited this round.
Proving_a_Negative

Con

Tanman517

Pro

Tanman517 forfeited this round.
Proving_a_Negative

Con

Tanman517

Pro

Tanman517 forfeited this round.
Posted by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
Yeesh. Spoke to soon. Sorry, bro.
Posted by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
Got back here a bit too late. darn it. :( Oh well, looks like you have a responsive opponent this time.
Posted by MegaAfroMan 1 year ago
MegaAfroMan
Precisely, cards basically separate late game, and early game.

Early game, position and territory matter.
So I'd still say an argument can be made whether Austrailia is a good starting continent.

But if you play carefully enough, when the hand ins hit above 35 or 40 you can essentially exist anywhere on the map as an impenetrable barrier if you play slowly and defensively.
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
I can settle with 4 players, but the cards by the end of classic determine who win, regardless of what strategy you had before.
Posted by MegaAfroMan 1 year ago
MegaAfroMan
If this wasn't specifically 5 players and a Factions variant, I'd take it up.

I usually only play 4 players, and Classic.
Posted by RealCS 1 year ago
RealCS
What??? I wanted to be con!
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
Ok, you can accept it.
Posted by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
Send this my way, I am game.
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
For some reason I think that Pro will not give an argument...
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
Stars --- Troops (remember you get 1 or 2 stars per successful turn)
2 for 2
3 for 4
4 for 7
5 for 10
6 for 13
7 for 17
8 for 21
9 for 25
10 for 30