pinkfurball
Wylted

Robots will overtake humans

Wylted
Started: 2/15/2014 Category: Economics

pinkfurball

Pro

Accept and the debate shall start.
Wylted

Con

I appreciate my opponent taking on this interesting topic. I will use transhuman philosophy to show that a kurzwelian merger (more on what this is later), is more likely then the scenario my opponent argues for.
pinkfurball

Pro

Thank you for taking on this debate, apologies for my late reply. I know that I have a very small amount of time, so my apologies for this starting off debate.

To start this debate I would like to explain HOW robots will overtake humans. WE at the moment are making robots for everything, literally and many of them are proving to be scarily lifelike, even able to make their own decisions. I believe that one day humans shall create a robot, with a disarming code in it like most do already have. However giving the mental capacity and capability of this robot it will detect the disarming code and then be able to disarm that making the robot 'indestructible'. Because of the i-intelligence they will then be able to create more and more robots to then overtake humans.

I would also like to touch on the fact that we are producing robots in such large amounts doing a wide variety of things that one day humans will do no jobs as all of them will be done by robots, then what will we do?
Wylted

Con

Why computers won't gain sentience,

1. Just because a singularity (the level bots need to reach to be dangerous) is conceivable doesn't mean it's probable.

http://spectrum.ieee.org...

2. Before the technology becomes available to achieve a singularity, most jobs will be automated and the negative economic impact will destroy incentives to create more intelligent machines.

http://www.nytimes.com...;

3. The rate of technological process is slowing and may prevent is from ever creating a singularity.

http://accelerating.org...

4. There are several people working to make sure the seed AI for the super AI is friendly in nature.

http://sifter.org...

To win this debate my opponent needs to put up a strong argument showing that a super AI is likely (or at least an AI that can rival a smarter then average human), and that there is a reasonable chance of that super AI being a danger to mankind.

We have no ideal what the future holds,

Fears of robot's taking over jobs isn't justified considering humans have such a poor track record of being able to predict the future.

http://epicvelocity.wordpress.com...

I want to thank my opponent for his last round and I hope he will elaborate on his theory of robots being able to override a disarm code. Especially since I'm not really sure what he means by the term "disarm code". I will refrain from bringing up a more plausible scenario of what I call a Kurzweilian Merger, as my opponent hasn't done enough to support his theory that alternate theories would need exploring.
pinkfurball

Pro

pinkfurball forfeited this round.
Wylted

Con

My arguments are unrefuted. Machines won't gain sentience and there is no evidence they will overtake humans.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
I messed up my last argument. Accidently left out a ton of info. Oh well.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
I don't know... Trans-humanism philosophy is pretty fascinating stuff. If Wylted knows his stuff, this could turn into a very interesting debate. I look forward to watching it unfold.
Posted by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
This is very likely to turn into a troll debate, especially if someone forfeits/misses a round.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
pinkfurballWyltedTied
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
pinkfurballWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were better and backed by sources. Pro lost conduct for the forfeit.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
pinkfurballWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: At best, Pro's arguments were speculative. Con's arguments were sourced and rebutted most of the points made in Con's. Con's arguments also went unrefuted. Conduct to Con for Pro's forfeit. Sources to Con for not only being the only debater to provide sources, but providing relevant, relatively academic ones too, of which substantially aided his arguments.
Vote Placed by sewook123 2 years ago
sewook123
pinkfurballWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round resulting in loss of conduct points. Also Pro failed to rebut and address Con's arguments.