RepublicanMan
Shane1

Rock and classical beat rap anyday

Started: 8/27/2013 Category: Arts

RepublicanMan

Pro

I hate Rap music from this modern society. I appreciate some of the old school rap such as the Wu Tang Clan. I cannot find any appeal in this new stuff like Nikki Minaj, Drake, Tupac and these other asshats. Rock like Pink Floyd and classical music like Beethoven definitely have more appeal than rap. Rap artists rarely have any meaning behind their music. The rapper I put most of my emphasis out to with this is "Lil' Wayne." He is the absolute dumbest rapper I have ever heard of, his music is garbage, beats are off, lyrics mean nothing and are always about sex, his voice is entirely auto-tuned and his topics are not original. This man prefers singing about sex, drugs and alcohol over signing about tragedies, wars, achievements that actually help the world, holidays, death and such. I'm not saying all rap lacks meaning, it's just that 99.9% of it will. Rap has absolutely no reason to be here, it serves no purpose, it lacks meaning to anyone who was not born yesterday. People who listen to rap also have less knowledge of the meanings behind different styles, words and phrases by rap. Such as 'Nigger' which is never an okay word to use, but people think it is just because they take out of the 'er' and replace it with an 'a' which is just a pathetic excuse. The word 'Nigger' was used to label the Irish and then hundreds of years later was used to label blacks. Both the Irish and Blacks were slaves to others and were labeled with irons 'nigger' and such. Another thing that makes me mad about this word is that people think that anyone can say it as long as they're not white. If a White man says it, it's racist. If a Black or Hispanic man or even woman says it, it's not racist, it's a-okay, it's not, it's still a racial slur. Now, next thing, rap influences a new fashion style that really pisses me off, men sagging their pants. This fashion was originally used by inmates who dressed this way because they were anally raped and are owned by another person. So, basically if you wear your pants like this, you don't look cool, you look like an ex-con who got raped in prison. I am sickened by the influence rap has on society. When people were listening to Pink Floyd and Metallica they weren't singing about sex and women. They were mainly singing about tragedies, war and things that mean things to people. I wish luck to whoever takes my challenge, step up and take your chance.
Shane1

Con

On my immediate reading of your argument I noticed the use of that little personal pronoun, that, in my opinion renders your argument invalid, of course I am referring to the use of the word 'I'. This entire debate is somewhat invalid on the grounds that everybody is different and different things appeal to different people, this cannot be changed, it is the human condition. Proof you ask ?? Well, you said "I cannot find any appeal in this", you can imagine the chronic cringing and frustration that line induced on all who listen to and take joy from the rap genre (not necessarily me). You go onto argue that 99.9% of rap music contains no meaning, or certainly lacks meaning. Well maybe this is the case, however it is completely irrelevant if it has meaning or not, I don't totally recall reading the fine print in 'the official music making manual' but I'm pretty certain it didn't say that music HAD to have a meaning. Music for some is purely something to nod their head to, something that provides them with pleasure, whether it be instrumentally induced or lyrically. Might I add that this meaning you speak of is one that is seemingly only relevant to you, it eludes me how you didn't comprehend this prior to typing. Also I feel it appropriate to say that I myself am an avid pianist, I play the piano everyday, I write songs, many of which are meaningless but nevertheless are enjoyable and make those who hear it happy (those who like my music obviously). And even so, there are many rap artists* who have meaning in their lyrics, the list is endless, the main one that springs to mind is 'Eminem', he speaks of the modern world and the nature of the modern human's relationships, in his particular case he referred to the troubles he encountered with his wife, daughters and mother, I am certain that these were relevant to many people. Also I feel it necessary to add that a lot of rock and classical music has no meaning, which makes you a hypocrite. Now I am in no way advocating the use of the word 'Nigger', however, I think you'll agree that it is common knowledge that the word is used frequently in the African/American community in a non derogatory manner, in fact in many cases it is an affectionate term, believe it or not. Your comment about rap music creating a new fashion style is laughable, for god sake man, EVERY genre of music has more or less induced the public to take up some fashion trend, the fact that you don't like it makes no difference. Okay even I think that those sagging pants where you can see a guy's underwear is childish and not something I'd encourage, but I love a band called 'Metronomy', they are an indie-rock band and have greatly influenced my wardrobe. And to add to the list of relevant "meaningful" rappers.. Tupac! A man that nearly cleaned up the streets with a couple of chart toppers.
RepublicanMan

Pro

Yes and I had mentioned some of Old school rap I appreciate because that was when rap was really music with meaning. Eminem is someone I, and most people, consider an old school rap artist. Now, to me and a lot of people, music is supposed to be a way of expressing your feelings. Me and a lot of people think that music should not be there if there's no reason to make it. Now, the topics of songs I gave were examples. War is a subject that can easily get to people, as is almost any tragedy like Death. If you want to hear rap, listen to Eminem or the Wu Tang Clan. Most people I know that are against rap say it's because the lack of actual meaning and the focus on s*x, drugs and alcohol, which then influences people to go have s*x when they're young and do drugs, drink alcohol and etc. I think it rather sad that people throw their lives away because of a rap artist. Nikki is an example of a Rap Artist that has a heavy influence on society. She looks "pretty" to people cause of her fake body parts, so now young girls wanna get that stuff done to them, it's ridiculous. I play piano a lot as well, because I use music for what it's there for, expressing myself. I don't typically get to debate about music with smart people, but I can see you're smart. And though this is an opinion based topic, just think about it, when Pink Floyd released their music these were what the lyrics were like: http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com...

Here's Lil' Wayne's music lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com...

As you can see, there's a clear difference; Pink Floyd's music hosts lyrics with meaning and also correct grammar aside from the chorus line from Another brick in the Wall part 2, which is meant to emphasize the theme of the song; abusive teachers. Where as the Lil' Wayne crap is all about p*ssy and s*x, as usual. My point is that we get more meaning out of people that follow Rock than Rap, as well as better grammar. Here's another example of Rock compared to Rap:

Metallica- One lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com...

Nikki Minaj- Stupid Hoe lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com...

Yet another reason I can't stand modern rap artists. People who like rap tend to have worse grammar than people who don't and that's a fact, because the music influences a way of speaking. Like I remember my father was influenced by Pink Floyd to randomly talk with different accents because of their music, the same thing happens with people who listen rap, except the people who listen to rap are encouraged to speak with bad grammar, following the lyrics of the awful music.

As for classical (which was mentioned in my previous rant), I will give an example from the best Opera written in my opinion and a lot of other's opinions; Les Miserables. I will take the song "One Day More" Which is about a group of rebels who take on the government in a war for freedom, this is known as the French Revolution, as this takes place in Paris and Calais.

Les Miserables- One Day More lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com...

Tupac- Crooked *ss N*gga lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com...

Pretty much all these examples support my case, but just in case I have more, I will only show them to you if you disagree with these comparisons, but, there's no way around the fact that rap seldom has meaning and now a day at least, teaches kids to speak with bad grammar and it's sickening to me. Here's something for you to think about; Music is like candy, you have to throw away all the rappers. This line is a pun of the candy wrapper, instead, it is rap artists you must throw away. Please think about this and I look forward to hearing your next rant.
Shane1

Con

Shane1 forfeited this round.
RepublicanMan

Pro

I see you forfeited round 2, which proves that I proved my point enough for it to affect you. I demonstrated exactly what I meant by showing you lyrics of rap, and also rock and classical. Now, the songs I picked were ones I had seen in specific, the list of terrible, meaningless rap songs goes on all day and all night for weeks. Now, I can say there are rock songs and classical songs with little meaning, but classical music was established to begin with for the sake of emotional expression. Rock was created because of classical just like every other type of music. I have not to much to say here, but I await a response from you. I look forward to what you have to say.
Shane1

Con

Shane1 forfeited this round.