Dixie99
zmikecuber

Rock music vs country

zmikecuber
Started: 1/23/2014 Category: Music

Dixie99

Pro

Rock music is soothing (usually) and people especially teens can relate more to it. Bands today are younger adults and teens attempting to express themselves, while country is more about things such as drinking, sex, mad partying.. Rock however focuses on more serious things as suicide and bullying.
zmikecuber

Con

I accept this debate! I shall be arguing that Country music is better than Rock music.

My opponent's argument
My opponent argues that Rock music is better, claiming:

"Rock music is soothing (usually) and people especially teens can relate more to it. Bands today are younger adults and teens attempting to express themselves, while country is more about things such as drinking, sex, mad partying.. Rock however focuses on more serious things as suicide and bullying."

To begin with, let's deconstruct Pro's arguments.

Simply because certain music may be easy to relate to, it does not follow that the music is "good" or is a positive influence on people. People who want to kill others may often listen to Eminem, or other agressive rap music that talks about acts of violence, but we wouldn't necessarily consider this a positive influence on people.

If a person is suicidal or being bullied, it may not be good for them to dwell on these facts. On the contrary, it may be better for them to stop self-pitying themselves, and wallowing in their own misery.

Furthermore, while Country music may very well make direct references to drinking and partying, this does not dictate the entire genre of Country music. Finally, Pro seems to think that Country music often explicitly talks about sex; this is unfounded. While Country music may indirectly refer to sex, it is usually not explicitly done (with a few exceptions).

Country-an overall wholesome message
I think that Country music has a more positive affect on the listeners. It glorifies hard work, family life, and patriotism. Let's examine a few of the lyrics of popular country songs...

Hey Pretty Girl - Kip Moore

"Hey pretty girl, wanna take you home

My momma's gonna love you
She'll make me sleep on the couch, I know
Hey pretty girl, wanna take you home
...
Hey pretty girl, when I see the light
And it's my time to go
I'm gonna thank the Lord for a real good life
A pretty little girl and a beautiful wife" [1]

These lyrics and the peaceful melody cleary disagree with Pro's blatant mischaracterization of Country music.

Furthermore, Country music is also very patriotic. Many times it demonstrates a love for one's country, and a willingness to sarcifice oneself.

American Soldier-Keith Urban

"And I will always do my duty, no matter what the price.
I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice.
Oh, and I don't want to die for you,
But if dying's asked of me,
I'll bear that cross with honor,
'Cause freedom don't come free.

I'm an American soldier" [2]

Finally...
In conclusion, I would like to ask a question: How many times have you heard drugs referenced in Rock music? Now how often have you heard drugs referenced in a country song?

[1] http://www.azlyrics.com...;
[2] http://www.azlyrics.com...;
Dixie99

Pro

Dixie99 forfeited this round.
zmikecuber

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited. Hopefully she will come back for round 3. Extend all arguments.
Dixie99

Pro

Dixie99 forfeited this round.
zmikecuber

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Her arguments remain rebutted, and her BoP to show that Rock music is better than Country music has not been met. Please vote Con! :)
Posted by Chucknorris5799 2 years ago
Chucknorris5799
What kind of rock are you talking about. There are many forms of rock music ranging from soft rock all the way to metal. I think there's even a country rock. I prefer classic rock
Posted by zmikecuber 3 years ago
zmikecuber
@JJaka99

You're making bare assertions. Someone who listens to country music would say exactly the opposite.
Watch this...

Zmikecuber is right rocks is crap! Country is totally way more easy to relate to. also, sometimes it motivates you and you know your not alone in this feeling. Country has emotion in it.

See? I can just assert things too.

Suffice it to show, whether or not one is better than the other is extremely subjective. Dixie must demonstrate that Rock music is inherently better than country music.
Posted by JJaka99 3 years ago
JJaka99
Dixie is right country is crap! Rock music is totally way more easy to relate to. also, sometimes it motivates you and you know your not alone in this feeling. Rock has emotion in it. Rock on!
Vote Placed by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
Dixie99zmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: He actually had stuff
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Dixie99zmikecuberTied