ClevelandRock
mrsatan

"Rockman" Is a Better Name than "Mega Man"

ClevelandRock

Pro

In 1987, Capcom created a video game series known as Rockman[1]. Its characters were given names based on music, such as Rock, Roll, Blues, Beat, and Tango. When brought overseas, the name of the series was changed to Mega Man by Joseph Morici, simply because he thought it was better[2].

The name Mega Man invalidates the musical theme the creators intended. Plus, the word "Mega" would also imply that the character is large, even though the character actually resembles a small boy[3]. Finally, the name Mega Man is so generic that it was coincidentally used in South Park as the name of a line of toys unrelated to the video games[4].

The only reason anybody uses the name Mega Man is because that's what they've been calling him for the past 26 years. It's simply not a good name in comparison to Rockman.

1: http://en.wikipedia.org...
2: http://www.rockman-corner.com...
3: http://goo.gl...
4: http://www.southparkstudios.com...
mrsatan

Con

I must disagree with my opponent on this. "Mega Man" is a far better name than "Rockman".

For anyone who may not know about the Mega Man game series, it's a run and gun, 2-D, side-scrolling platformer. Mega Man is a humanoid boy robot, created by Dr. Light, to fight Dr. Wily's robots and put a stop to his evil schemes.

Other than background music, which almost every game has, the Mega Man games have absolutely no relevance to music, and so there's no reason to use a musical theme for the characters. Roll, "Rocks" sister, while briefly appearing at the end of the first game, isn't introduced by name until the third installment of the game series. The rest of the supporting characters following the musically named theme don't appear until the third installment, or even later in the series. This leaves the play on words unimplemented, and makes the name "Rockman" completely irrelevant. [1]

"Mega Man", however, is a very well fitting name and regardless of Joseph Morici's reasoning, he made an excellent decision by changing the name to "Mega Man". While it's true that mega can simply mean "Large" or "Vast", it can also mean "Of the highest level of rank, excellence, or importance". [2]

This fits in excellently with the name scheme of the enemy robots such as Cut Man, Ice Man, and Bomb Man. A short relation to the type of "Man" that robot is. Similarly, "Mega Man" is an extraordinary robot, surpassing Dr. Wily's robots by learning their own abilities. Not only does that relate him to the other robots, but it does it in a way that separates him as the hero, by saying he's something more than the rest.

As for South Park using the name "Mega Man", I honestly don't see why that matters. Generic or not, it's still a better fit for the game.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
ClevelandRock

Pro

"Mega Man is a humanoid boy robot, created by Dr. Light, to fight Dr. Wily's robots and put a stop to his evil schemes."

Rockman wasn't actually created to fight Dr. Wily's robots. When he was created, his name was simply "Rock," and he was designed to help Dr. Light in his studies. It wasn't until he was repurposed for combat that the suffix "-man" was added to his name.

"This leaves the play on words unimplemented, and makes the name 'Rockman' completely irrelevant."

Actually, changing Rockman's name to "Mega Man" leaves the name "Roll" completely irrelevant. What kind of a name is "Roll" without a "Rock" to accompany it?

Second of all, the name "Rock" serves an additional play on words. Keiji Inafune designed the game with "Rock, Paper, Scissors" in mind.[1][2]

It should also be noted that the "Rock" name is used in two different designs on Capcom USA's official Mega Man store on Zazzle.com.[3] This goes to show that the Japanese name is known and accepted all over the world, and makes for a much more pleasing play on words than "Mega Man" ever could. Rock on!
1: http://web.archive.org...
2: Nintendo Power issue 46 (March 1993)
3: http://www.zazzle.com...
mrsatan

Con

As you don't dispute how well "Mega Man" fits the character, I'll take it as you agreeing that the title fits.

"Rockman wasn't actually created to fight Dr. Wily's robots. When he was created, his name was simply "Rock," and he was designed to help Dr. Light in his studies. It wasn't until he was repurposed for combat that the suffix "-man" was added to his name."

My apologies, this is correct, and just as he was being repurposed for combat, so was his name. His name was changing to fit that new role anyways, and "Mega Man" still adheres to that role better than "Rockman". Accepting "Mega Man" as a new moniker doesn't mean the one of "Rock" must be rejected.

"Actually, changing Rockman's name to "Mega Man" leaves the name "Roll" completely irrelevant."

Not at all. As I said above, Roll wasn't introduced by name until the 3rd installment, whereas the name change was put into effect with the first. "Rock" without "Roll" isn't musical wordplay. Since it was the first game of a new character, a more relevant name was a good decision. And again, there's no reason "Rock" could not remain his name while he's titled "Mega Man".

"Second of all, the name "Rock" serves an additional play on words. Keiji Inafune designed the game with "Rock, Paper, Scissors" in mind."

Well, this play on words does actually have relevance to the game, or more directly, the game mechanics. But one last time, accepting "Mega Man" doesn't invalidate the use of "Rock".

"It should also be noted that the "Rock" name is used in two different designs on Capcom USA's official Mega Man store on Zazzle.com.[3] This goes to show that the Japanese name is known and accepted all over the world, and makes for a much more pleasing play on words than "Mega Man" ever could. Rock on!"

Precisely! Refer to my other Round 2 arguments.

Therefore, "Mega Man" is a better name than "Rockman", as the wordplay, though unnecessary in my eyes, can be and is still achieved, and it fits in better with the actual game.
ClevelandRock

Pro

Mega Man may have been a somewhat fitting name for the first game in the series. However, the name change was unnecessary, and Mega Man doesn't fit the intentions of the creators the way Rockman does. It was pretty awful that Joseph Morici changed the name of someone else's creation just because he didn't like it.

There's one more thing I'd like to add. In some parts of the world, the name Mega Man is associated with the infamously bad North American box art that went along with the change of name.[1] However, the name Rockman, as I said earlier, is "known and accepted all over the world."

Now, I think I've said just about everything that needs to be said, so let's recap.
  • The title was only changed because some guy didn't like it.
  • The name Mega Man invalidates the musical wordplay found throughout the series.
  • The word "mega," while it may have multiple meanings, could be considered contradictory to Rockman's small size.
  • People only use the name Mega Man because they're used to it.
  • "Mega Man and Roll" just isn't the same as "Rock and Roll."
  • The name Rockman also refers to the game Rock, Paper, Scissors.
  • Fans all over the world are already familiar with the name Rockman.
  • In some parts of the world, the name Mega Man is associated with a humorously bad localization decision.[1]
1: http://i.imgur.com...

And, with that, I'd like to thank my opponent for participating in the first debate I've ever started on this site. Mr. Satan, you have the final argument.
mrsatan

Con

Well, to conclude this debate, I'll simply offer reasons to why my opponents recap is completely invalid, respective to his ordering:

It doesn't matter why the name was changed, as long as the new name fits the character better, which I have shown to be true.

As my opponent illustrated in his reference to zazzle.com, the musical wordplay can be and is still implemented, and therefore remains a valid aspect of the game.

Even if "mega" is taken to mean "large or vast", it still effectively applies. As in, Mega Man is larger than life, for which his actual size is irrelevant, or has a vast amount of courage in the face of insurmountable odds.

"People only use the name Mega Man because they're used to it.". The same could be said of "Rockman" had it been kept, or any other name for that matter.

The name "Rock" also applies to "Rock, paper, scissors", and again, my opponent has clearly shown that "Rock" can still be considered his name, while "Mega Man" can be considered his title.

Fans all over the world are also already familiar with the name "Mega Man".

This last bit is an illustration mistake, and has absolutely nothing to do with how good either name is. It therefore bears no relevance in this debate.

In closing, I would like to thank ClevelandRock for proposing this debate. I enjoy any discussion in relation to video games, and I hope he found it enjoyable as well.
Posted by ClevelandRock 4 years ago
ClevelandRock
Yeah, same here. I'm hoping there are some Rockman fans here, and I'm pleased that I was able to find even one (mrsatan).
Posted by mrsatan 4 years ago
mrsatan
I'm not personally worried about. I enjoy debating such things, but the outcome of any debate I take part in is of little importance to me, and even less so in cases as trivial as this one.

Honestly, I can't see anyone who's not a Mega Man fan finding any importance in this whatsoever.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
You may want to post this to the forumsfor votes. I'm not a geek enough to understand the importance.