scroobiuspip
marquettelddebate

Rogue one wasn't that good

marquettelddebate has forfeited round #2.
Started: 1/4/2017 Category: Movies
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

scroobiuspip

Pro

Stale characters, uninspiring plot and more-of-the-same SFX, didn't blow my skirt up i'm afraid.
marquettelddebate

Con

On the contrary, I believe that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was a great movie. For people who are not currently engaged in the star wars universe, the story required next to no background to understand, something completely different than the other star wars movies. While the plot lacked the complexity of the trilogies, that is to be expected from a one-off movie. The appearance of Darth Vader at the end was one of the best scenes in any star wars movie, and the way that rogue one seamlessly moves between episodes 3 and 4 is unequaled in any fantasy or sci-fi movie series. The character development throughout the movie certainly exceeds the terrible acting of the original star wars movies, and rogue one certainly was on pace with other star wars movies in terms of plot, sound effects, and action, making it a very good star wars movie, let alone a sci-fi war movie, even if it was meant to be a stand alone movie. With a rating of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 4 1/2 star rating from movie critic Roger Ebert, Rogue One was also a critically acclaimed movie, and supported by people who are better movie critics then you or I.
scroobiuspip

Pro

Thanks for taking this one, Firstly anyone not engaged in Star Wars by now probably doesn't want to be, Star Wars is like Coca Cola, everyone already knows where they stand. This is exactly the reason the movie didn't bother providing a context, because we all know what it's about already. In my humble opinion this movie is not a stand alone at all, it's clearly another prequel, otherwise why try so hard to tie in with the original trilogy. and character development? I saw none, Galen Erso started as a reluctant dupe and died the same, Krennic started as a ruthless and ambitious officer, and died the same. (while monologuing - cringe) Tarkin has apparently always been exactly as he was in Ep4, Chirrut and his buddy started off odd and didn't change at all, cassian showed promise with a dark moment at the start but then just became jyns bodyguard by the end. Not to mention all the plot was centred around 'How can we send this JPEG?'
on pace with other star wars movies? Do we not feel they should be improving? I don't see that as a plus, and just because random critics tell me a film is good, doesn't mean I won't make up my on mind. A good rating on RT does not a good movie make, (Ghostbusters 2016 for example)

thanks again