TheRealRayOfWisdom
miloisqueer

Romanticizing Mental Illness

TheRealRayOfWisdom

Con

I would first like to preface my argument with the following obvious, but necessary proviso: Of course, I understand that not every person who suffers from a mental illness is doing so to seek attention. I also understand that an individual could have comfort in all aspects of their life, but neurochemistry may legitimately render that insignificant.

Off we go then!

From my extensive web travels and lifetime of experience in the public school system, I have witnessed firsthand and experienced far too many incidences in which teens with relative socioeconomic and medical stability feign mental illness because they realize it gets them attention. The woes they decry are disproportionate to their comfortable standards of living. Depression, Schizophrenia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Bipolar Disorder are chief among the major psychological illnesses that I have watched teenagers fake. It is widely known that the teen years are a critical period of self-determination and self-discovery. Teens yearn to belong and feel socially accepted during this tumultuous era of existence. The teenager who is not mentally insecure in some capacity is indeed an anomaly. And thus, teens resort to any means necessary to feed the ego.

In defense of these misguided, egotistical teens, the alleged appeal of mental illness could be somewhat understandable considering the innumerable beloved pop culture icons who display classic symptoms of disorder. Batman, The Joker, Dr. Gregory House, Sherlock, Watson, the main casts of Scrubs, the Office, Parks and Recreation and so many other revered characters display their baggage to accentuate their complexities. When song lyrics such as "beautiful scars on critical veins" (popular teen group: All Time Low) are inculcated into one's consciousness, it is easy to allow one's self to become swept away.

Still unsure about what I mean? Click the following link.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com...

Too many of these posts^ circulate the web and inflate the egos of the attention-seeking and immature. I've seen multiple teenagers on multiple occasions, "play-depressed" solely to have those around them make a fuss at comforting them. The instant they think no one is watching, they proceed as normal.

Enough of my ranting, I'd like to hear from others! If you've never experienced this, then I'm ecstatic to know that teens everywhere don't indulge in this behavior. But, please, if you have witnessed similar instances of feigned mental illness, I would love to hear from you!
miloisqueer

Pro

I agree with you that many use mental illness simply as an excuse to gain attention from those around them; However, I believe that many people have symptoms of such undiagnosable ailments as extreme self-hatred or lack of self esteem. As a youth who has experienced the true horrors and pains of mental illness (including hospitalization, family tension, and medication, as well as innumerable emotional traumas), I find nothing more annoying than my peers faking the problems I have dealt with, because it shows a fundamental lack of understanding thereof. It in fact makes getting the accommodations I need for panic disorder harder to obtain, because many use such allowances as an excuse to skip class.

However, the reason I accepted the pro side of this debate was not because I approve of this faking--Quite the opposite in fact--but because I believe that those who do experience the illnesses need this "romanticizing" for their own survival. When I was suicidal, I listened to many punk groups, such as All Time Low, as you mentioned, and lyrics such as those you've referenced made me feel validated... Almost like I wasn't "crazy" or any of the other labels people threw at me. I felt beautiful, I felt worthy, I felt like these things that made me feel so utterly unlovable, so completely disgusting, were perhaps something that could be pretty, be understood, after all.

Admittedly this did cause issues in my later recovery, because my identity came to be built of primarily my inner and outer scars, but this hurdle was far easier to jump than any I might have faced if I continued on the road of utter self-hatred and self mutilation.

This makes it a difficult situation, as those who fake mental illnesses are automatically pushed into the mindset that is such a luxury for those who can't escape their own heads. This mindset, however, can have extremely detrimental effects on a sound mind.
TheRealRayOfWisdom

Con

TheRealRayOfWisdom forfeited this round.
miloisqueer

Pro

miloisqueer forfeited this round.
TheRealRayOfWisdom

Con

miloisqueer

Pro

miloisqueer forfeited this round.
Posted by DerekJeter 1 year ago
DerekJeter
Hey Ray really like your input on the matter but I do have a bone to pick. You say that these people are "Faking Mental Illnesses" in order to gain attention or feel relevant. But couldn"t you agree that our society today is causing the mental illness that causes this generation to act in such manor. Our society today glorifies mental illness so much so that people feel the need to get one. Instead of dismissing the fact these people are clearly affected by society standards you decided to call them out and ignore them and that is wrong. Though I can see how you feel they are glorifying it you cannot just dismiss it. Let"s face it Ray we live in a world where people like Kim Kardashian get all the fame and glory you know those "Perfect People". Any doctor I know would defiantly agree that being degraded so much causes mental illness. Think about it everywhere we look we see these "Perfect People" in our faces every second of everyday and of course people are going to feel the need to act out and "make up mental illnesses" because they are being degraded so much. Our society and the way it is set up glorifies these "Perfect People" and you are surprised by the fact so many people are clearly showing side effects. How do you ignore that?
Posted by Redstocking 1 year ago
Redstocking
You need to read my blog, Jane Austen in the Loony Bin
http://janeausteninloonybin.blogspot.com...
Manic Magical Mystery Tour

I have been an editor of psychiatry books, am a psychiatric survivor with a diagnosis of manic depression, and the psychotherapist who has treated schizophrenics and manic depressives.

I blog as Cassandra Woolf. Apollo gifted Cassandra with prophecy. When she spurned his advances, he cursed her: No one would ever believe her. Virginia Woolf is the most famous woman manic depressive.