LordEnglish
YaHey

Ron Weasley wasn't good enough for Hermione Granger

LordEnglish

LordEnglish

Con

JK Rowling stated in an interview that putting Ron and Hermione together was wrong and selfish wish fulfillment. She stated that Ron would "never be enough" for Hermione. I disagree, and think that this statement shows a lack of understanding of the messages in her own books.
YaHey

Pro

Thank you for challenging me to this debate. This is an old question and not one easily answered.

Throughout the books, we see Hermione as a strong, independent, smart, but sensitive woman, even from the early books. But Ron is a very jealous person, showing a controlling nature in the Hermione's developing relationship with Viktor Krum and her friendship with Harry Potter.

LordEnglish

Con

See, the argument here isn't that their personalities wouldn't quite match up. When someone says that someone isn't "enough" for someone else, you don't think, oh, they just wouldn't go together well in a relationship. The way it was worded was degrading, as if everything Ron did in the books wasn't good enough because he wasn't the hero or the "Boy who lived."

In my opinion, when Ron was jealous of Krum, he wasn't super, overly controlling-ly jealous, and it was around the time when he was just figuring out his feelings (he was 14-15 ish. No excuse, but he was immature.) And The only reason he was seen as overly jealous with Hermione and Harry was because of the darkness of the Horcrux. It's normal to feel a little jealous sometimes, and that was probably all he was feeling before the Horcrux made it into something nasty. I feel that a more mature Ron who was aware of the fact that Hermione did like him back would handle both of these situations better.

Anyway, Ron and Hermione was never really something I shipped, just a trope I expected to happen.

My only problem with the whole thing was how it was worded? Like, Rowling said she hadn"t meant for Ron and Hermione to get together. Cool. But saying that the reason is because Ron would never "be enough" for her kind of ticked me off?
Maybe Ron wasn"t book smart, but nobody could beat that boy at wizard"s chess. You don"t have to be book smart to be an interesting, stimulating person. Yeah, so he wasn"t very good at making potions, but he knew everything there was to know about quidditch. And maybe he wasn"t the big hero or "the Boy Who Lived," but he dived into a mysterious lake to save his drowning friend and he sacrificed himself in the real life game of wizard"s chess and he fought in the battle of Hogwarts with everyone else when he could have run away and he went into the bathroom and saved Hermione from that troll even though they weren"t friends yet and he fought in the Department of Mysteries and went to save Sirius and he defied Umbridge and joined the D.A. and memorized Harry"s Parsletongue to reopen the Chamber of Secrets and snuck into Gringotts and rode on the back of a dragon and destroyed Horcruxes and overpowered the hold a Horcrux had over him after managing to wear it for days.

My point is, Ronald Weasley is amazing and interesting and no one, not even JK Rowling, will convince me that he isn"t enough for someone because he doesn"t like to study.
YaHey

Pro

I... I cannot argue with you. I concede. Now there is only one thing to do to put this debate at rest.

http://tinyurl.com...
^
|
Posted by LordEnglish 2 years ago
LordEnglish
Life goals, tbh.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
Five people voted on this fake debate. Five people saw these arguments, saw the title, and thought "Yeah, sounds like something I should seriously vote on."
Posted by LordEnglish 2 years ago
LordEnglish
This was literally a huge joke debate I was having with the person who introduced me to this site as my first debate so I could get a grip on how it works, but thank you for your comments.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
there is a reason i didnt list the harry potter books in my favorite books
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
This was a joke debate i havent read the series in like four years
Posted by jcjossart 2 years ago
jcjossart
As you can see, I never once stated in the argument that Harry was the choice for Hermione (even if I feel that way.) I have just stated why Ron "isn't good enough" for Hermione.
Posted by jcjossart 2 years ago
jcjossart
Wow. The contender obviously never read the Harry Potter series; otherwise he would have been able to refute Lord English. I guess someone has to.

1) First of all, Ron wasn't intelligent or complex enough for a woman like Hermione. Throughout the series, Hermione has thrived off of intellectual challenges. She loves solving puzzles. Ron Weasley wasn't complex. He was painfully predictable and simple minded. He had difficulties with many spells that came easily to his classmates. He was an average student at best.

2) Secondly, Ron wasn't loyal enough for Hermione. He constantly stared at every attractive woman that gave him the time of day (and many that didn't.) (i.e. Fleur, Lavender) Furthermore, when Hermione finally gets the courage to ask Ron out to Slughorn's party, he turns around and starts dating Lavender. I find it highly unlikely that a girl like Hermione would forgive this betrayal.

3) Not only was Ron disloyal romantically, he was also Harry's LEAST loyal friend. Neville, Luna, Hermione, Ginny, Fred, George, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, etc. stayed by Harry's side through thick and then. Ron abandoned Harry TWICE. To make it worse, he abandoned Harry when Harry needed him most (the hunt for the Horcruxes and the TriWizard Tournament.) Hermione always treasured her friends, so I find it unrealistic that she would have forgiven Ron for abandoning Harry (and her) at these crucial junctions.

The fact that she did forgive Ron seemed contrived to get the two of them together and went against her character. There were several times throughout the series that Hermione "wrote someone off" for betraying Harry. ( Cho's friend comes to mind.)
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
LordEnglishYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concess'n
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Phoenix61397
LordEnglishYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded, but there was a ridiculous run on sentence in Con's argument.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LordEnglishYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
LordEnglishYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Last round concessions. I'd personally don't see why the other option (pairing her with Harry) would be any better for the canon. It would have communicated only that every close friendship will always become romantic love and develop a one-sided approach to evolve the world unrealistically around Harry. The ending is already cheesy and Hermione was a Mary-Sue from the very beginning so the original resolution seems one of the better; in terms of literature and pedagogical message
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
LordEnglishYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession from Pro. Con wins.